Fiverr Community Forum

Buyer scams me, and fiverr helps the buyer

So a buyer messaged me about buying my stock certificate gig, and wanted me to make a custom order for 10 dollars. I said yes, and asked him if he could give me a positive feedback in exchange for 3 stock certificates. (It’s in my gig description) Buyer says yes, but once I deliver he wants me to translate a script into Korean. I did it for him, and for some reason he didn’t like it and wanted me to cancel. I obviously said no, and he gave me a one star with false information.

I reported to fiverr cs yesterday to delete the false feedback, and today I got a message that I acted ‘unprofessionally’ to a certain buyer (Well…it doesn’t take a genius to figure out who did that) and that I shouldn’t do it again.

I have been working here for more than a year, both buying and selling and I am offended by fiverr’s attitude. Is there anything that I can do at this point? All tips would be appreciated.

I tried posting on FAQ, but it didn’t work so I’m posting at tips for sellers.

I dunno, asking someone to give you a positive feedback in exchange for etc isn’t very professional. Could be that which got you burnt. So uh, did you ship those certificates? Between your complaint and your buyer, I have no idea what the truth is.

He bought a gig for the certificates, not for translating. Then after I shipped and sent him a photo of the receipt, he asked me to translate a script. I did it for him, because it only took 10 minutes to do it. Then he said he didn’t like it, and gave me one star when I didn’t give him a refund

Guess I’m screwed

Yes "learn to say no when you know it is not in your wheelhouse…"definitely agree with this, may other sellers usually say to go this route as well. :smiley:

ANNA

This isn’t a Tip or a FAQ so it was moved. You are lucky Fiverr didn’t take stronger action against you. Telling a buyer before delivery that they should review positive if you do XYZ is against Fiverr policy. It’s unprofessional for sure. That’s why this is not a Frequently Asked Question. You got off easy. Lucky break.

Edit: I just looked at your gig and saw another problem. I’d be tempted to buy your stock gig but your delivery time is too silly. If shipping takes about 2 weeks, set your delivery time at 3 weeks so buyers can review after they get it. Otherwise, they have to write a false review, a bad review for ow delivery, or no review. Some will cancel for no delivery if 14 days arrives with no item. This gig could kill your account. If people contact you about translation, also, don’t try to manipulate. CS can see that.

@royjuiten, I thought I would drop in to offer some answers to something you asked elsewhere. They are relevant here on the forum so this is going to be long, but you asked for it! I dropped a tip at the end that might be your best option or it might sink like a stone, but I would give it some thought. Also, to other people, you probably won’t read all this (and I don’t blame you) but that’s good for the OP so please get bored and don’t read to the end.

I give all my buyers a tracking code, so that they could see where the shipping is. Can I just post it as 24 hour delivery in this case?

This depends on how you word your gig. The important thing is that you write in your gig description EXACTLY what you will do for $X.00 so Fiverr can support you in it. For example, if you were to state this in your gig description it could be helpful:

When you purchase this gig, I will send you a tracking number within 24 hours so that you can follow that code to see where your item is. That tracking code IS your delivery, but of course the physical item won’t arrive until the shipping company can get it to you, usually in about 2 weeks. If your item does not arrive within 3 weeks, please contact me by inbox so that we can resolve the problem.

What is important next is that you need to be clear somewhere what happens if the buyer does contact you should the item not arrive. There are lots of ways you could go with this, and it’s why physical items are not a very commonly sold thing on Fiverr. For example, you could pay for signature confirmation on the item, or buy insurance on the item, or do any number of other things to protect yourself and the buyer. That way, if the item did not arrive and you had a secure way for the buyer to file on the insurance they could get a refund from the shipper, OR you could refund them and get your money from the shipper OR you could state somewhere that if they sign and the shipper sends you a confirmation of the signature that no refunds are given. All of these have potential consequences. You have to decide what is best for you and what makes sense in the price you charge. After all, if it costs you $.50 for packing and $2 for insurance and Fiverr takes a dollar - you’ll need to sell a WHOLE lot of gigs to make any money. It’s tricky. Perhaps you could post in Conversations to ask others how they would handle it, but not all the answers will be good. Think it through.

I give all my buyers a picture/video of me submitting the item to the post office, can this act as evidence if the buyer wants to cancel the item?

This helps your case in a sense, since showing that to Fiverr might help, especially if you also write something about this in your gig description to let them know that the picture or video will serve as proof and no refunds are given if the shipper fails to deliver or the item is torn up or yada yada… The problem is that a picture or video isn’t much proof either, since that is easy to fake. Truthfully, even if it was great proof, most buyers won’t care. If their item doesn’t arrive, some are going to have a fit. You may have to re-send another one or refund the buyer to avoid bad reviews. I’m not saying this will happen a lot. If you write your descriptions well, are straight up with your buyers, and they end up with what you show in your gig image - a lot of them will be happy. Your delivery time sets you up for a little more danger, but if you made it long, some buyers wouldn’t understand why. Fiverr is not the most ideal place for this, but sometimes it works.

If it were me and I had all these cool certificates that might be worthless but neat and I really wanted to use them somehow on Fiverr, i would personally go another route. I would come up with some cool thing I could deliver digitally and didn’t take long. It doesn’t really matter what, just think about what you could link to these certificates. Like, can you make a 15 second video showing you with the certificate itself and talking about the history? Something someone could put on a YouTube channel? Or, write a 100 word Facebook post for the person with a picture of the certficiate so they can put it on Facebook before the actual certificate arrives.

The sky is the limit. Make the actual physical item a free bonus and make sure you write in that while you will send a tracking number when you send it, the actual delivery is the digital item and the certificate is a freebie. That could be an awesome marketing tool and one you could use to self-promote off Fiverr by writing your own blog with 10 posts about the best 10 certificates (and a link to your Fiverr gig) or posting pics of these things all over social media with links to your gigs. Even better, you could use Fiverr Anywhere combined with all these to make a unique gig like nothing else here. You could have a gold mine if you did this right. (Go look in Tips for Sellers and under the featured posts section is a great video on Fiverr Anywhere by Twistedweb123.)

Hope that helps! I wish I had all of the certificates myself. :wink:

Jeez that was longer than some of my articles…LOL

I’ve learned you can’t make much money from selling physical products from my days an ebay bookseller. I make more in a month on Fiverr than I did an entire year on ebay.

Your mistake was doing work for free. You can tell right away what kind of person he is if he asks for that.

Yep - that’s why I mentioned early that the post was really directed to the OP to give my opinions on some questions he had directed to me. Most of that is only useful to the OP. There is one short bit useful to others: Fiverr isn’t ideal for physical goods. :slight_smile:

OP was made on Sep. 13/16.

Fonthaunt’s advice was on Sep. 13 & 15, with an additional reply on Sep. 18. (I read the whole thing!)

It is now Sep. 23 as of this reply.

What’s so interesting? The OP has not changed a thing in the offending Gig!!!

1. It is still in violation of Fiverr policy; (”First 5 buyers get 2 certificates, but they must promise to leave a good feedback . . .”)

2. The delivery time is still set at 14-days.

3. There’s nada about a mini-delivery policy as suggested by Fonthaunt;

4. And bizarrely enough, the Seller was successful in getting the 1-star review removed (!)

My two cents on the Gig description: how about that last line? “Shipping takes 2 dollars, but that’s all for free!”

Hmmm . . . that says I get the whole Gig for free. Really. I do. And everyone else too! As Fonthaunt states, it’s important that “you write in your gig description EXACTLY what you will do for $X.00 so Fiverr can support you in it.”

We can take that “X” out; let’s all purchase the Gig; and Fiverr will support us.

The sad part for me is all the effort that went into Fonthaunt’s second reply, (ingratiation), with nuggets of suggestions and phrases such as “The sky is the limit,” and “That could be an awesome marketing tool,” and “You could have a gold mine if you did this right,” and “I wish I had all of the certificates myself.”

But, nope. Not a single tip; word of advice; marketing tip; or Fiverr policy breach, has been acted upon.

I say one lesson to be learned is that if you write a post, check for replies.

If some of the replies come from an extremely credible source stating you are doing something in violation of Fiverr policy, you just might want to fix that.

In addition, if you read a statement in a reply from a very credible source who says, “This gig could kill your account . . .” you just might want to do something about that too.

@royjuiten – I am going to submit a Customer Oder to buy every certificate you have, for $5. I’m more than happy to buy a goldmine with a free marketing plan to boot for only $5.