Buyer Wants Refund, Help!

olebendz

So I’ve been working with a customer for over a week now on a $60 project. She initially didn’t give me a huge amount of information and I had to try and get as much as possible out; I ended up having to come up with ideas on her behalf. I provided a delivery and she requested a modification - asking for around 6 elements to be changed, a few of those to completely different things (it’s like she suddenly came up with ideas of them after instead of before I put the work in).

So I made the changes and sent the delivery…

Then I get another revision request: this time it says “Hi! I think I’d like a refund, I appreciate the effort I just don’t think it’s a right match. Thanks!”

Curious, I messaged her asking her why the problem was with the delivery.

The response was :
“ It just doesn’t match what I want for my brand, it’s nothing super specific. Just doesn’t match what I imagined”

So there wasn’t actually anything ‘wrong’ with what I’ve provided, but I’m not sure how to proceed?

I would read fiverr’s terms of service just to make sure that nothing about your project violates fiverr’s policy. It sounds like everything you did was legit but hypothetically if you did violate the terms of service (not saying you did) then you could potentially get banned. Therefore, if you discover that something in your project does violate the terms of service, then I would issue a refund to avoid any repercussions. If not, then I would decline the refund request and politely refer the client to customer support for further assistance. As long as nothing you did violates fiverr’s terms of service then you should be in the clear. Hope this helps and good luck!

You have 58 5-star reviews. You will recover if she leaves a bad rating!

Ignore what she said, if you’re lucky she doesn’t know the order will autocomplete in 3 days. But if she insists just refuse politely, explaining you’ve worked on it for a week and it’s simply not fair or ethical.

This is not how this works. You did the work, you deserve to get paid.

ToS says:

“Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the Seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig Page. Buyers may rate their experience with the Seller on the Order Page, including the overall level of service quality received.”

Doesn’t seem like this order is eligible for cancellation.

Thank you everyone for your replies 🙂

So I ended up saying this to her :

“I’m sorry, I’m going to have to initially refuse and I will contact Customer Service to be arbitrators of this order to let them decide. I’ve delivered the work twice, with the same quality as all my other projects and stuck within the brief, and only now you’ve decided it doesn’t match what you’ve imagined. It appears suspicious.Customer Service usually take a few of days to make a decision.
Thank you for understanding”

She replied almost instantly saying :
“That’s okay, we don’t have to do that - I’m okay with leaving the order as is, you did the work and you should be paid for it.”

I thought it was curious how she changed her mind so quickly after suggesting CS would get involved… But I re-delivered without saying another word, she accept and I’ve been paid 🙂

Archived