Buyer wants to buy again but leaves a 'bad' review... what to do?

williambryan392

Wanted to share but also welcome any advice…

For background: I recently became a level 1 seller after grinding for 4 months or so. I have a background in startups and sell consultancy on fiver. I set a low gig price- $10 for 45 minutes discovery zoom call, I then make custom offers dependant on buyer circumstances for further calls. I’ve now completed 20 gigs, all have been 5*. Until now when I got my first 4.7*

I know I’m lucky to have got to level 1, I know some sellers are struggling and I know this rating isn’t terrible. I’m sorry if this sounds like I’m being entitled.

What confuses me is that the buyer said at the end of our first call that he would like to do a second call and I should send him an offer.

So my questions are…

Should I send the offer or wait for the buyer to follow up on fiver, and if he does follow up should I decline/cancel?

Am I overreacting? (I know I am!)

I’m worried I’m risking another ‘bad’ review if he buys, or may mark my message as spam if I reach out.

1064677467_ScreenShot2020-10-27at11_30_25.png.b2363f14e6cb3d74576f3467132d48d4.png

How odd! However, 4.7 is still a great review though.

I’ve written about this a few times in the forums… the majority of buyers automatically award a five star review if a job has been done satisfactorily. I imagine they’re just relieved that the job turned out okay given all the variables of contracting an unknown person online! However, a small number of buyers actually try and be constructive with their feedback. Maybe it’s a control thing, maybe they think they’re being helpful to you and others… but of course, it’s a pain in the backside for us sellers!

I wouldn’t be afraid of working with this person again. Even if they award you another 4.7 - it is still great feedback.

Your only other option is to block them so they can’t order.

Wanted to share but also welcome any advice…

For background: I recently became a level 1 seller after grinding for 4 months or so. I have a background in startups and sell consultancy on fiver. I set a low gig price- $10 for 45 minutes discovery zoom call, I then make custom offers dependant on buyer circumstances for further calls. I’ve now completed 20 gigs, all have been 5*. Until now when I got my first 4.7*

I know I’m lucky to have got to level 1, I know some sellers are struggling and I know this rating isn’t terrible. I’m sorry if this sounds like I’m being entitled.

What confuses me is that the buyer said at the end of our first call that he would like to do a second call and I should send him an offer.

So my questions are…

Should I send the offer or wait for the buyer to follow up on fiver, and if he does follow up should I decline/cancel?

Am I overreacting? (I know I am!)

I’m worried I’m risking another ‘bad’ review if he buys, or may mark my message as spam if I reach out.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 11.30.25

discovery zoom call

I just wish to ask if you got Fiverr’s approval for communication outside of Fiverr?

Yes @english_voice I think blocking could be the way to go, and I completely agree with your assessment, thank you!

IMO opinion the rating system is a little flawed and to maintain 4.7*, or 94% is high. Effectively you need to be 5* or you fail which doesn’t seem… balanced. To be clear, fiver is great and sellers/I know the deal. I’m not complaining just saying.

But I think the flaw comes with buyers, like you say, not really knowing. My first purchase I rated 4.5, communication was fine but not great, and the job wasn’t perfect. It was only later I realised that this would be bad for the seller. I felt terrible, but as a buyer I thought 90% seems like a good score to me!

Just annoying as I think he is a happy client and I could have a long relationship, but might not be worth the rating damage!

@blavaro Yes for sure. For the purposes of completing any gig you are allowed to communicate outside of fiver, IF it is necessary to complete the gig.

For the purposes of completing any gig you are allowed to communicate outside of fiver, IF it is necessary to complete the gig.

Is it specifically stated in ToS?

I read ToS a few times but always get this:

Requesting or providing Email addresses, S…e/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.

Fiverr does not provide protection for users who interact outside of the Fiverr platform.

All information and file exchanges must be performed exclusively on Fiverr’s platform.

Of course, should you have written approval from Fiverr, you are fine I guess.

If I were you, I would only take another gig from this buyer if i don’t mind getting another sub 5.0 review. It’s up to you to weigh the cons of getting a sub 5.0 star review vs the revenue generated and the time invested. In the end it’s sometimes okay to appear busy if you know that not doing so will have a negative impact on your presence.

I had a buyer who tried to handle me in a similar manner, he even let slip that he wasn’t going to give a good review whether i took the job or not … that he only needed to learn from me in my teaching gig because it was necessary … needless to say even though I needed the exposure in order to become a successful seller and that it was only going to be my second gig, I refused in a polite and professional manner. Which the buyer didn’t take well , he then sent me his personal contact information, when I had made no such request and asked me to talk to him off platform, which i declined to do. Even though I tried to remain professional I had to eventually mark his posts as spam since he started bombarding me with messages containing his personal contact information and the likes.

That’s something I experienced and even though i’m still looking for my second sale i’m glad that I didn’t ruin my fiverr profile right after barely starting on the platform.

Yes @english_voice I think blocking could be the way to go, and I completely agree with your assessment, thank you!

IMO opinion the rating system is a little flawed and to maintain 4.7*, or 94% is high. Effectively you need to be 5* or you fail which doesn’t seem… balanced. To be clear, fiver is great and sellers/I know the deal. I’m not complaining just saying.

But I think the flaw comes with buyers, like you say, not really knowing. My first purchase I rated 4.5, communication was fine but not great, and the job wasn’t perfect. It was only later I realised that this would be bad for the seller. I felt terrible, but as a buyer I thought 90% seems like a good score to me!

Just annoying as I think he is a happy client and I could have a long relationship, but might not be worth the rating damage!

Actually, another very quick thought.

You say you have 20 five star reviews + one 4.7 + potentially another 4.7 = an average of 4.97.

I think I’m right in saying - but other sellers will need to chip in - Fiverr will still round this up to 5.

In other words, if you do work with this buyer again and he leaves another 4.7 - your overall rating will remain at 5.

It’s up to you whether you value the money or the feedback more at this stage!

For the purposes of completing any gig you are allowed to communicate outside of fiver, IF it is necessary to complete the gig.

Is it specifically stated in ToS?

I read ToS a few times but always get this:

Requesting or providing Email addresses, S…e/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.

Fiverr does not provide protection for users who interact outside of the Fiverr platform.

All information and file exchanges must be performed exclusively on Fiverr’s platform.

Of course, should you have written approval from Fiverr, you are fine I guess.

circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.

You’re right but the wording is critical… ‘in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted’.

I’m not circumventing or abusing. I’m doing what’s necessary to complete my gig. If I could video call on fiver I would.

Fiver manually reviews a lot, they check messages that get flagged. Almost all my messages include zoom links. I get a red warning every time. Fiver are not ‘rule lawyers’ though, they want you to understand the spirit of the rules and keep you transacting inside the platform, not stifle new gigs.

I’ve got a fiver networking event tonight, so I’m confident they’re happy with me doing what I’m doing to invite me… (famous last words lol!)

Actually, another very quick thought.

You say you have 20 five star reviews + one 4.7 + potentially another 4.7 = an average of 4.97.

I think I’m right in saying - but other sellers will need to chip in - Fiverr will still round this up to 5.

In other words, if you do work with this buyer again and he leaves another 4.7 - your overall rating will remain at 5.

It’s up to you whether you value the money or the feedback more at this stage!

Again @english_voice you’re completely correct. My total score is still a 5, and the 4.7 only shows for that review, there’s no other visible impact.

Re last next question… it’s all about strategy and getting to level 2 now efficiently (for me)…

gig price X jobs completed = level 2 status.

I think my priority is to:

1. Build a repeating client base (so when I get dropped down by the algo and I can still have gigs coming in).
  2. Maintain great ratings/reviews.

Then when level 2, or Top rated, put the price up… Still deciding though

Again @english_voice you’re completely correct. My total score is still a 5, and the 4.7 only shows for that review, there’s no other visible impact.

Re last next question… it’s all about strategy and getting to level 2 now efficiently (for me)…

gig price X jobs completed = level 2 status.

I think my priority is to:

1. Build a repeating client base (so when I get dropped down by the algo and I can still have gigs coming in).
  2. Maintain great ratings/reviews.

Then when level 2, or Top rated, put the price up… Still deciding though

I promise I’ll go away after this post lol.

Build a repeating client base (so when I get dropped down by the algo and I can still have gigs coming in).

This is very wise. I’ve been selling on Fiverr for seven years, had hundreds of orders, etc. But I’ve had a drought of new orders and custom order requests from potential new buyers over the past two months. I’ve never known anything like it in all my time. It was my repeat buyers that kept me going. It is only in the past day or two that I am seeing signs of new activity / recovery.

While Fiver is my preferred freelancing platform, we can’t control where Fiverr places our gigs in the search results - so if I can offer one final thought, it is the old adage - don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Fiverr is good and I’ve stuck with it for many years, but it’s not perfect.

I promise I’ll go away after this post lol.

Build a repeating client base (so when I get dropped down by the algo and I can still have gigs coming in).

This is very wise. I’ve been selling on Fiverr for seven years, had hundreds of orders, etc. But I’ve had a drought of new orders and custom order requests from potential new buyers over the past two months. I’ve never known anything like it in all my time. It was my repeat buyers that kept me going. It is only in the past day or two that I am seeing signs of new activity / recovery.

While Fiver is my preferred freelancing platform, we can’t control where Fiverr places our gigs in the search results - so if I can offer one final thought, it is the old adage - don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Fiverr is good and I’ve stuck with it for many years, but it’s not perfect.

we can’t control where Fiverr places our gigs in the search results - so if I can offer one final thought, it is the old adage - don’t put all your eggs in one basket

Spot on. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Thanks!

Archived