Buyer wants work on his own website?

gourav1207

A buyer messaged me on Fiverr to maker 2 animated videos for his freelancing website like fiverr[one for freelancers to sign up and other for the buyers to get the services done at a min price of $5]
he ordered the gig for the one video[for freelancer to sign up]
and I delivered the work and he accepted it.

But now he wants his 2nd video [to encourage buyers for his website] on his own freelancing website he said "service charges there are only 10% not 20%like Fiverr.

Should i work with him or not?

Can be a scam, just be careful that his website does have the same protection as Fiverr.

If you can’t confirm that you can better stay on Fiverr.

Interesting. Good point. Because maybe the buyer will try to coerce the seller into selling via their platform instead, which may also be fraudulent?

Is that what you meant?

The more I think of it the more that seems plausible. If the buyer mentioned their rate is cheaper than Fiverr that is a value proposition and they wouldn’t do that unless they would want to coerce you.

Interesting. Good point. Because maybe the buyer will try to coerce the seller into selling via their platform instead, which may also be fraudulent?

Is that what you meant?

The more I think of it the more that seems plausible. If the buyer mentioned their rate is cheaper than Fiverr that is a value proposition and they wouldn’t do that unless they would want to coerce you.

when i said that i will deliver the 2nd video on fiverr he said he wants the second video on his own freelancing platform otherwise he will not work here.

should i work with him on his website.

when i said that i will deliver the 2nd video on fiverr he said he wants the second video on his own freelancing platform otherwise he will not work here.

This is a quite tricky question.

Because some of us have work on different freelancer website. Not only Fiverr.

So I’m not sure whether you can go to other freelancer platform and start getting orders…

will deliver the 2nd video on fiverr he said he wants the second video on his own freelancing platform otherwise he will not work here.

I knew it!

Of course not. You’re asking me if you should break the ToS and let the buyer cull business from Fiverr to his own platform. Of course it isn’t. Think about it.

Why would I say you should do this? Please think critically. Stop thinking there is a way to break the ToS. It’s deeply concerning that you even have to ask if this is okay.

This is a quite tricky question.

Because some of us have work on different freelancer website. Not only Fiverr.

So I’m not sure whether you can go to other freelancer platform and start getting orders…

It’s not tricky at all. He said himself that the buyer will only work with him if he does the second order on his own platform. Of course you don’t work with someone who is using Fiverr to cull business away from it…

There shouldn’t be any problems, sounds like a legitimate animation video.

Did you see his further addition after my question? The buyer says he’ll only work with him if he does the other order on his own platform.

The buyer is using Fiverr to try to drive business away from Fiverr. The seller only disclosed this when I suggested maybe this was going on… And the seller is asking us if it’s okay to break the ToS to let the buyer cull business away from Fiverr.

A buyer messaged me on Fiverr to maker 2 animated videos for his freelancing website like fiverr[one for freelancers to sign up and other for the buyers to get the services done at a min price of $5]

he ordered the gig for the one video[for freelancer to sign up]

and I delivered the work and he accepted it.

But now he wants his 2nd video [to encourage buyers for his website] on his own freelancing website he said "service charges there are only 10% not 20%like Fiverr.

Should i work with him or not?

You need to substantiate why “Everything is Good”. Why do you say this?

The op’s post isn’t entirely clear when it comes to this phrase:

If the op means his buyer will only accept the second delivery through his own rival marketplace platform - then of course that’s not okay. It would break Fiverr’s TOS as a result of having to communicate outside of Fiverr.

Please don’t encourage people to take a course of action when it might be wrong.

Your confidence is misplaced and your use of bold to highlight it even more so.

You need to substantiate why “Everything is Good”. Why do you say this?

The op’s post isn’t entirely clear when it comes to this phrase:

If the op means his buyer will only accept the second delivery through his own rival marketplace platform - then of course that’s not okay. It would break Fiverr’s TOS as a result of having to communicate outside of Fiverr.

Please don’t encourage people to take a course of action when it might be wrong.

Your confidence is misplaced and your use of bold to highlight it even more so.

If the op means his buyer will only accept the second delivery through his own rival marketplace platform - then of

Yes. That’s exactly what is going on:

i will deliver the 2nd video on fiverr he said he wants the second video on his own freelancing platform otherwise he will not work here.

He just conveniently left that out of his original post… and then after saying that, he asked me if he should work with him…

No, or you will get banned from Fiverr.

You can politely inform your buyer that, as per Fiverr’s Terms of Service, allt he communication, materials exchange, and deliveries have to go through Fiverr.

No, or you will get banned from Fiverr.

You can politely inform your buyer that, as per Fiverr’s Terms of Service, allt he communication, materials exchange, and deliveries have to go through Fiverr.

Just proves Fiverr is full of shit. People are free to work with who they want, but Fiverr wants to control that.

Just proves Fiverr is full of shit. People are free to work with who they want, but Fiverr wants to control that.

People are free to work with who they want

Sure they are, but if the contact starts through Fiverr, the work should be done through Fiverr, too.

Fiverr wants to control that.

Fiverr wants their share. If the job is taken elsewhere, they don’t get their 20%. They’re defending their profits, like any business would do.

There’s another big freelancing platform (starts with U) where the buyer and the seller who find each other through that platform have to pay an exit fee if they want to work together elsewhere.

I understand that and agree for the most part. I’m not saying use Fiverr to start a job and then finish outside of Fiverr. That would be lame. Fiverr deserves their money.

But what I am saying is Fiverr stops you from trying to make a professional contact. And, that’s just short of illegal.

If I use a pro from Fiverr for let’s say, 10 gigs, and then I decide you know what, I like this person, I want to hire them full time and pay them a salary. I can’t. Fiverr prevents that, and that is bullshit. Fiverr doesn’t own this person. They don’t own their work or their right to work.

I can’t not ask for their ■■■■■ or email. And that my friend, is the opposite of being free to work with whomever you want.

No. This buyer is only using Fiverr to drive business away from Fiverr to another company. I don’t think Pepsi would let Coca Cola set up shop at a Pepsi stall to cull business away from it. No business would allow another company to use its services to take services away from it.

The issue isn’t that buyers are working elsewhere. The issue is that the buyer is making it a condition that he will only work with people here if they also sell from his business. Buyers don’t get to make conditions on sellers to sell elsewhere too. No freelance agreement works that way and Fiverr doesn’t allow buyers to make up terms and hold sellers to them. Rightfully so.

If you use a service, you don’t get to add your own terms on the seller.

No. This buyer is only using Fiverr to drive business away from Fiverr to another company. I don’t think Pepsi would let Coca Cola set up shop at a Pepsi stall to cull business away from it. No business would allow another company to use its services to take services away from it.

The issue isn’t that buyers are working elsewhere. The issue is that the buyer is making it a condition that he will only work with people here if they also sell from his business. Buyers don’t get to make conditions on sellers to sell elsewhere too. No freelance agreement works that way and Fiverr doesn’t allow buyers to make up terms and hold sellers to them. Rightfully so.

If you use a service, you don’t get to add your own terms on the seller.

I get what you are saying but it’s not apples to apples. Here is why…

Your statement would make sense if Coke let Pepsi make soda in their facility. But they don’t.

Fiverr is in the business of connecting professionals. So in this case, if I hire someone to build me a site just like Fiverr, that’s totally fair and legit. Fiverr can’t be mad.

Where does the OP say the guy will only hire people if they agree to sell from his business? It’s not in his original post.

I get what you are saying but it’s not apples to apples. Here is why…

Your statement would make sense if Coke let Pepsi make soda in their facility. But they don’t.

Fiverr is in the business of connecting professionals. So in this case, if I hire someone to build me a site just like Fiverr, that’s totally fair and legit. Fiverr can’t be mad.

Where does the OP say the guy will only hire people if they agree to sell from his business? It’s not in his original post.

You’ve misunderstood me. That’s what I’m saying.

in this case, if I hire someone to build me a site just like Fiverr, that’s totally fair and legit. Fiverr can’t be mad.

Yes, Fiverr can be mad if you sellers and buyers break their ToS. Have you even read the ToS? You aren’t allowed to use Fiverr to sell on another platform. Why on earth would any company allow that?

Here it is. He’s saying he will only work with the seller on this if they take it off of Fiverr. He is using Fiveŕ to drive business to his own thing and giving the seller an ultimatum to do it. Not ok. You don’t set ultimatums on sellers, especially when it requires them to break ToS.

And if you read the ToS you can’t communicate with a Fiverr buyer outside of Fiverr and you can’t do business with them out of Fiverr.

If you disagree, fine, but those are the ToS you agree to when you register and if people don’t want to follow them they shouldn’t agree to them.

And besides Fiverr’s ToS, it is not in a freelancers best interests to be required to sign up for a whole other marketplace and deliver there just so that the client can get their commission. That’s a favour to the client and no freelancer owes their client a favour. A project is a transaction. It makes no sense from a business standpoint to let a client do this to you.

Being a freelancer does not entail doing favours for clients, especially if that client won’t even hire you unless you agree to do them a favor. All you owe a client is the deliverable. Anyone who uses freelancer ultimatum favors to build their business is sketchy as hell and not someone to work with.

I understand that and agree for the most part. I’m not saying use Fiverr to start a job and then finish outside of Fiverr. That would be lame. Fiverr deserves their money.

But what I am saying is Fiverr stops you from trying to make a professional contact. And, that’s just short of illegal.

If I use a pro from Fiverr for let’s say, 10 gigs, and then I decide you know what, I like this person, I want to hire them full time and pay them a salary. I can’t. Fiverr prevents that, and that is bullshit. Fiverr doesn’t own this person. They don’t own their work or their right to work.

I can’t not ask for their ■■■■■ or email. And that my friend, is the opposite of being free to work with whomever you want.

If I use a pro from Fiverr for let’s say, 10 gigs, and then I decide you know what, I like this person, I want to hire them full time and pay them a salary. I can’t. Fiverr prevents that, and that is bullshit.

Fiverr wants to keep getting their 20%.

Fiverr doesn’t own this person.

Of course not. That person is free to leave Fiverr and come work for you.

But you can work with whomever you want, you just have to do it through Fiverr. Or, if you really like that person a lot, offer them a full time job with all the benefits (vacation time, insurance, paid sick leave…), and if they like your offer and feel that you’re reliable, they might accept.

Archived