Fiverr Forum

BUYERS just DON'T READ and it's frustrating

i’ve reached my boiling pot… im so sick and tired of buyers ORDERING before they contact me… i have it big as day in bold print on all my gigs please message/contact me first before ordering…

now i know they are buyers from other countries but thats no dang excuse they read everything else… use a translator app or something…

im tired of canceling gigs cuz the buyer fails to give me the necessary files i’ve asked for to get started or place their order without talking to me first , i want to ensure that i could do the job successfully…

my gigs are either to write or create songs for people…now sometimes i get the corniest or craziest stuff people want me to write for them not all but some …and to just send me something and be like here do this… it’s hard cuz it may be something i don’t approve of depending the content, for example someone wanted me write them a song about killing someone . WTF…

i wanna be able to say no i cant do that rather than to wake up to my inbox with… congrats such and such just submitted their order time to get busy…

@FIVERR PLEASE MAKE A OPTION FOR BUYERS TO CONTACT SELLERS PRIOR TO ORDERING

This has happened to me many times too. Once, someone ordered my old transcription service TEN times, which I could definitely not complete in five days, so I had to cancel EIGHT of those orders, ruining my cancellation rate. Sigh.

avenue3studios said: im tired of canceling gigs cuz the buyer fails to give me the necessary files i've asked for to get started or place their order without talking to me first , i want to ensure that i could do the job successfully..
It's incredibly frustrating.

However harsh it may seem, Fiverr doesn't really care about your gigs, your cancellation rate, or any sellers frustrations. Sure, they'd like sellers to be happy, but it is in their best interest for buyers to buy first, ask questions later - if ever. Once an order is placed, Fiverr gets their commission, there are no refunds, that money stays with Fiverr. They have no reason to care whose order it is.

Even the most frustrated sellers rarely leave Fiverr and the few that do are quickly replaced. There are always more people looking to make money than to spend it!

I truly am sorry that you're so frustrated @avenue3studios, but your only real options are to leave the Fiverr platform, or put out the effort to 'idiot proof' your gigs as best as you can and learn to not let the stress get to you.

Good luck!

That would be great if they added that option. Or at least let us color the text to big red letters to contact us before ordering so they would notice. The yellow highlight doesn’t really work.

Yeah I’m with you… I came to the forum today to find out how I can manage my gigs better. I edit text and write comments on blog etc., and especially with that last gig I so often get requests to post something on a site that doesn’t work. Or continues to give errors, or what ever happens. I send messages to the buyers, and most of them never reply. I think I’ve written so many warnings and disclaimers in my gig that the text has gotten too long. They don’t read it anyway. I think I’ll just stop writing comments because it’s screwing with my rates. And yes, @itsyourthing, you are right, Fiverr just wants to make money of course. I don’t expect them to care. But I would really like an accept/deny button for the sellers so we can first decide if we want an order or not, before we get forced into a position where we can never win. annoyed :-/

avenue3studios said: it's hard cuz it may be something i don't approve of depending the content, for example someone wanted me write them a song about killing someone

If will not create content for a certain subjects or topics you need to clearly state this in your Gig description - otherwise Buyers are going to assume you will do what is advertised and they have the right to refusing cancellation on these regards.

avenue3studios said: im so sick and tired of buyers ORDERING before they contact me.. i have it big as day in bold print on all my gigs please message/contact me first before ordering

While you've said this, I've checked your Gigs and only 2 of your Gigs note to "please contact me before ordering" and one is in the middle of your Gig details and on the 2nd Gig it's all the way at the bottom. They're not in bold print only highlighted.

If you want to be sure a Buyer contacts you - put this statement at the top of each of your Gig descriptions and state this it again in each your Gig videos. Also change how you state this, instead of asking them to contact you, make it a requirement and state: "All buyers must contact me before ordering."

From there, if a buyer still ignores the requirement and places the order, you will then have a better defense - as they clearly didn't read your Gig details and what was required of them before ordering. This will help better with cancellations and proof for Custom Service when dealing with cancellation issues. Hope this helps! :)

Fiverr is absolutely unprofessional in this part. I get You man as I myself have the SAME issue.

FIRST --> After registering on the site there should be a video explaining HOW TO ORDER, HOW TO BE NICE, and how to NOT abuse the request modification button. I have 70% clients who - don’t read descriptions, request modifications because “they forgot to submit me their logo” or whatever else (which should be FORBIDDEN unless theres a mistake on my part. I as a seller should be able to reject or PRE-requisite people for the work, but right now with the system I have no control, I wake up and might have 3 orders and 9 messages with big ass questions asked. This is not the way to go, In my case, since all the questions are regarding my work there should be a $1 payment for the possibility to contact because people don’t read anything and even ask “how I download the gig after I have it” or things like that…It’s not even annoying, it simply TAKES AWAY TIME and we can’t grow or focus on our work properly :confused: Right now when I want to complete a new project on my own I have to use the “vacation” option which is never a vacation but the only way to get things done properly.

I agree. I clearly state its extra for scripts yet they still want me to produce a video with custom content for 5.00. Well “what does 5.00 get me”? Basic. Geez frustration

I’m with you. Just had a buyer place an order and it seemed very straightforward. I was actually OK with not getting a heads up since it seemed very cut and dry, just a basic 1 $5 gig no frills. Ordered at 11AM. Ten minutes ago at 1:45PM I get a message, “Need this completed by 4PM today. Is this possible?” Uh, no it’s not. Not to mention they didn’t pay for the “Extra Fast.” They are asking for 5 hour turnaround time. Who asks for a 5 hour turnaround time AFTER they place the order. Not just after they placed the order but almost THREE hours after they placed the order. They are expecting me to drop everything and work on their stuff. That is something you check first before you click "Order."

So I tell them that if they add the “Extra Fast” to the order I can get it to them by 11PM tonight. Otherwise I’m sticking to my regular schedule. If they have to cancel, then so be it.

Some people just frustrate the bajeezus out of me…

Reply to @theslackjaw: I got a very similar request today, too! “Get this to me by tomorrow.” Not even a question, no contact beforehand to see if that was even possible, just an unreasonable demand. So weird!

UGH. Slightly off-topic, but I also find it super frustrating when a buyer will place an order and instead of actually sending me instructions, in the instructions area, they just write something like “I’m working on these instructions, I’ll send them to you later!” The order is now in my queue, clock ticking, with no real instructions.

It’s not really that big of a deal because I have such a long lead time on my gigs, and I know that no buyers do this maliciously (though I’m sure some do it in an attempt to stake their claim on a spot in my queue, though I usually send through a friendly note letting them know that they don’t get planned into my schedule until they’ve sent real instructions), but still. I understand the frustration of people who only have a few days or a single day delivery times that get this runaround.

You know what would solve this? That approve/deny order feature we’ve all been talking about for centuries.

Reply to @emasonwrites: This drives me banana time as well. I understand that a lot of the time buyers don’t realize that once they “Fill Out” the instructions with “Working on these, get them to you soon!” that starts the clock.

Once I had a guy do that to me with a “Still working on script, will send it when I’m done.” I have a 2 day turn around time. I sent him four messages over the course of those two days…four more messages over the course of the next few days…and finally asked CS to cancel the order because at that point it was three or four days late on delivery. He didn’t respond until TWO MONTHS later with a "What happened?! I had an order with you and I thought we were going to work together?!"

That’s my most extreme example…

Reply to @theslackjaw: I think that’s probably what it is: the buyer just doesn’t realize that that message starts our clock. But jeez! Two months later? That’s crazy!

A.) This:

emasonwrites said: You know what would solve this? That approve/deny order feature we’ve all been talking about for centuries.

And B.) Even if was only a $5 order, I can’t imagine the luxury of needing to buy a product or service and being able to let it slip my mind for two months. Unless it was a ‘just for fun’ type of purchase, but even then, if it’s important enough to order, it should be important enough to pay a little attention to.
emasonwrites said: But jeez! Two months later? That's crazy!

Reply to @theslackjaw: Kind of makes me think he didn’t get any Fiverr notices about the gig. I hope you didn’t miss out on big money.

Well, I just encountered one a minute ago.

I sent them "Also, please let me know if you want flat color, full color, or black and white; and if you want any extra that’s availlable in the gig?"

And they asked for price for all color options, but didn’t say anything about extra. So I had to ask for clarification, and this’s their reponse

"You obviously didn’t read my message. I’ll pass."

Uhmm…who wasn’t reading?

Reply to @miacmht: Are the color options “extras”?

Reply to @itsyourthing: no, extras are things like source file, remove signature…

I pasted them in and asked "do you want any of these."

This is color options

miacmht said: flat color, full color, or black and white

or at least that's what I think they meant.

Reply to @theslackjaw: Tech can be pretty amazing, but I think half the folks who don’t ‘get it’ think it’s some kind of magic and anything online happens all by itself.

I’m glad you didn’t get stung too badly.

Reply to @miacmht: no offense, but you’re being a bit confusing. If the buyer only responded asking for pricing on the color options and didn’t say anything about the extras, it would be safe to assume they didn’t want any extras.

They probably just thought you were pushing them to buy extras and not really looking for clarification.