Fiverr Community Forum

Buyers just saying hi

Hi, I am a level 2 seller with more than 200 completed orders. Recently, I had quite a lot of buyers contacting me - just saying “Hi, how are you?” and nothing else. I never hear from them again.

Is this strange, or is it just me? :smiley: Has anyone else had the same experience?

Recently, I did not reply to such a message and subsequently, my response rate dropped. I was penalized for not answering - so I was just wondering: could it be that people are trying to get the ratings of others down? Conspiracy theorist, haha.

What I took from this is ALWAYS to reply, no matter how lame the message may be. If they say ‘hi,’ I say hi.

Or, what do you think?
Have a great day.
Helena

4 Likes

Am I the only one who finds this funny :rofl: :

Your buyers are chivalrous :rofl:

On a more serious note, do you follow up on the conversation?

Like:

Buyer: hi
You: hello, how may I help you or how are you today?

Try following up with the buyer and see if it gets you any where.

1 Like

I just respond “Hi, how can I help you?” to them. Sometimes, I get a nice order, sometimes not. Nothing special.

4 Likes

They way Fiverr is presenting the messaging tool to buyers, especially those who use the mobile app, it makes it appear as if this is a chat room and they need to send a “hello” and then wait for a response, instead of sending a more complete message with their request.

And yes not responding within 24 hours to the 1st message initiated by a buyer who has never contacted you before, will lower your response rate.

4 Likes

I think you can reply them , because it’s not hard for you to say Hi or ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@frank_d could be correct about the way the messaging system works, but I do not doubt your conspiracy theory either. :wink:

@lilychinadancer, Hello :wave:t2:, long time no see!

1 Like

HI, nice to see you again. I plan to come to the forum often , maybe someone here in the forum want to order my gig after see my profile ,haha … :grin:

1 Like

This has happened to me so often, since maybe a month into selling on Fiverr, that I have a pre-made reply for them: “Hi, are you interested in ordering my gig?”

1 Like

Yes , I have had the same thing. Just reply “Do you have a whatever for me to look at?”
Never hear back. They are usually new buyers with obscure names like nobody123

3 Likes

Same! Last month, I got a few of these odd enquiries and never had any before. It was very strange… struck me as a set of chatters thinking it was ‘a certain type’ of internet chat room. I did respond to two out of four, was quite friendly in my reply and I asked if I could assist them and whether they had a ‘whatever’ for me to look at.

No reply whatsoever! So, the next two dodgy inquiries arrived and I marked them as spam. And my response rate plummeted from 95% to 88%. Great. From now on, it seems I will spend my day just saying hi to random chatters!

Say “Hi, How May I Help You Today?”. And this will save your response time rate.

1 Like