Fiverr Forum

Buyers requesting resumes and degrees

Every once in a while, I get a message from a buyer asking all sorts of questions, like they are hiring me for some prestigious position:

Hello there,

I was inquiring about your “gig” as I wanted to know some more details about your background and professional experience in the field of editing. Where does your degree originate from?

I was interested in reviewing your resume prior to hiring you for my document. I have a 6,000-word novella that I would like for you to review. I prefer to start with basic editing.

Please send back your credentials at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
[snob]

I get similar messages all the time. Who expects an accredited editor for $5? I’m a professional in my field, but I’m not sending you my resume. It’s a freelance platform :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And you take your $10 purchase rather seriously, my friend!

What a :japanese_goblin::japanese_goblin::japanese_goblin:!

Tell him/her a novella is at least 16,000 words. A 6000 word is barely a short story. :wink:

What fantasy world does that person live in?

Pfft. I wouldn’t order from anyone until I know their life story, their genealogy, and their personal, career, and family goals. Anything less must mean that the seller is fake. [sarcasm] :wink:

I’ve encountered many people who think a story around 5000 words is a “novella” (a short story is apparently under 2500 words).

Many others call anything over 15,000 words a novel :smile:

Seriously? Resume & Degree to get a $5 job? :sweat_smile:

This buyer lands into the: “get everything you want before hiring you otherwise I’m not hiring you” category. :grinning:

Ah, yes, the big shots are great, “I want a resume and I want to talk to references.” …um, that’s not how things work around here. But hey, “This will lead to an on-going business relationship.” …even though what they’re offering per month isn’t even enough for a case of beer.

I know it sounds odd but I reckon some of these buyers are just coming from a different background. On other freelance platforms, many of these questions are standard as is a whole interview process. Generally this is for an ongoing position or a large project. If Fiverr are marketing properly, we should be getting people who buy on other platforms and so this kind of crossover of methods/requirements are to be expected.

The other problem is when someone with a small project looks for info on how to hire a freelancer they will get loads of blogs that tell them the 146 Step Guide to Hiring a Freelancer (Yours for only $9.95 from all good bookstores). When they read this they believe they are doing the correct thing and that you expect them to do this. It should also be remembered that proofreading a 6000 word novella/short story/shopping list may only be a small part of our workday but that the buyer has spent a long time on it, rewritten it 6 times and is has recently spent 3 days deciding whether the cover should be in powderpuff blue or sea-spray lavender.

I’m not saying that this is ok or that you should indulge this behavior, just an observation that may help you empathize with the buyer. If this happens often, I would suggest that you create a small pdf with a little About Me, a couple of links to work you have done etc. Include something about how you do not give out personal info like CVs on Fiverr and if that is not enough for them then wish them luck. For most it should just calm the nerves enough for them to hit the $10 button.

I understand how time-consuming it is to write anything. It’s my heart and soul. I live with the characters: I can see their faces, expressions, voices, clothes, feelings (happiness, anger, anguish, pain), their surroundings and every detail about every character.

A short story can take months to perfect. I have changed the story line so many times and their personalities change from hour to hour. I’ve pulled books I’ve written because after reading it, the 50th time (not exaggerating) I decided it isn’t good enough.

I write at least 4 short stories and 2 novellas at the same time. It give me opportunity to get away from each (a break) so I can go back with a fresh set of eyes and ideas. I’m embarrased to give it to even a beta reader after the first two or three drafts, maybe after the 4th.

It still doesn’t make a 6000 word a novella. Typically, someone that is not aware of word count is still fresh to the writing world and the chances are it will require great deal of work.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and it’s reasonable for a seller to already have a short resume of experience; however, sometimes I see it as a warning sign that it could be one of those folks who thinks he/she knows more than then the proofreader they hire.

• Beta: 4 times
  • Developmental: 2 times (yes, short stories requires DE)
  • Edited: 10 times
  • Proofread: 6 times
  • Spent 20+ hours researching cover desgin ideas
  • Unspecified amount of time for book alignments
  • Only God knows how many crazy sleepless nights coming up with the perfect title

I completely understand some people do things this way.

I also know that other people are simply way up on their high horse. Like the people who ask if you can do a job, and when you tell them no and not to order, they reply with “Sorry, we can’t consider you for this gig any longer. We wish you the highest success, bla bla bla…”

The self-important kind :wink:

I had a buyer recently who seemed very nice, he made many comments on my work and ultimately left a good review. However, at one point he informed me, “I noticed you remove the double spaces after periods. There should be two spaces, is this news to you?”

To which I explained that the double spaces originated from the days of typewriters, and single spacing is today’s standard. That was the last bit of advice he gave :smile:

Well, I don’t think the request deems the Buyer worthy of being titled as a “snob” simply for asking a question about your professional experience and education. While it appears they not familiar with the platform or maybe have had a bad experience on Fiverr before, asking to look at someones resume for a job isn’t uncommon so you have to look at things in the Buyers shoes in these instances. This is still a job and you’re still being hired whether it’s online or not.

I would just politely informed them they I wouldn’t be providing the credentials because of x, y or z and then direct them to review your past feedback and work in your portfolio that highlights your experience working on Fiverr with other Buyers.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was very polite and understanding in dealing with him.

However, he was making quite a big deal of a $10 purchase, and that’s not the type of person I wish to work with. In speaking with him, I realized this is one of those people who is going to need constant attention and a million revisions outside of the gig’s scope. I requested he contact someone else.

Like everyone has said, that’s how they do it on other platforms where the jobs are bigger and more long-term. Someone has to nicely inform buyers that it’s not done that way here. If it were, it would take weeks to get leads and close a $5 gig :slight_smile:

Competitors, looking to scrap the info. off of her.

I know it! You go girl. :sunglasses:

Not only that - but it’s a case of the Cheapskate conundrum and simple breach in privacy. I’ve had similar requests myself for information that exceeds the TOS from Fiverr, most of the time it was a case of:

“I am not paying ‘$X’ for someone who isn’t degree qualified”

At which point I reject the interaction entirely. In the OP’s example it’s more an example of customer’s who are too focused on placebo effects and put far too much weight into them.

NB: “Cheapskate Conundrum” is the attempt to get the most while paying the least, often times sacrificing overall quality or getting the wrong product.

And blood type don’t forget blood type!!!

You would think by now people would learn how little of a carrot that statement holds these days. But no, customers in their infinite wisdom and delusion are all about “the customer service” when they aren’t on the receiving end.

While you’re not wrong, consider too that the delivery is, by all intents and purposes, a product. People buy products all the time without engaging in this sort of rigmarole (however as the price goes up it is reasonable to assume that expectations of buyer safety goes up as well - THAT I believe is a reasonable expectation).

What the OP is describing is an Over-The-Top request from a customer (either through self-importance or simple delusion) requiring qualifications/prerequisites which, in a way, have no REAL relevance to the product itself in this instance. This is why we offer samples.

Programming Gigs - Supply a sample script with similar performance or aspects of the customer’s request to determine viability.

Creative/Novella writing Gigs - Supply a sample of previous work (1-page etc.) to gauge writing style and vocabulary.

I am sure in most instances there is a way to supply a sample which would do more to prove suitability than a degree. Not to mention that a copy of your resume or degree can be used by nefarious minds to commit a form of identity fraud (a copy of an engineering degree with institution names and registration numbers can form the basis for a counterfeit), suddenly “John Smith B.Eng (Civil/Structural)” from Iowa is designing bridges in wherever that suddenly collapse and by some coincidental freak-of-nature; John “Bridgebreaker” Smith has managed to change their look, height, basically everything.