Fiverr Community Forum

Buyers that chase for delivery

One of my semi-regular buyers never leaves feedback, never tips (although I don’t expect it), and he watches the word count like a hawk (I am a proofreader and I charge per 1,000 words). He might send me 999 or 1,001 words for example. He also knows that I only offer a three day turnaround.

However, within 24 hours of buying my gig this particular buyer without fail starts chasing me, asking what progress I’m making, etc - when the chances are I’ve not even begun work on his project!

He’s not rude, but for some reason he feels like he has to chase. Why do some people feel the need to do this? It irrationally winds me up - in fact, it REALLY winds me up. I always acknowledge new orders by saying something like “Thank you for your order, please leave it with me and I will deliver your completed project within 72 hours. If I find any issues that I can’t resolve, I will be in contact before the delivery is due”.

My buyer is in no doubt that I have received his order, that I will make contact if there is a problem, and that I have given an assurance about the delivery schedule.

So… why does this particular buyer ALWAYS feel the need to chase? He winds me up!

Yes, I know I could block him - but he’s not abusive or a scammer. He’s just a pain.

19 Likes

I disagree. He’s micromanaging you and that is very rude.

I find people micromanage because they like to control and they’re arrogant. It’s an entitlement thing.

Personally I’d stop working with someone who treats me like this.

14 Likes

Actually, you make a very good point. His written language isn’t rude, but the intention behind it is. I must admit that I’ve always thought of him as one of life’s slightly needy characters, but you’ve put a new spin on it for me. It IS micromanaging. Grrr.

6 Likes

Exactly. People manipulate by phrasing things nicely to frame their behavior as a reasonable thing.

4 Likes

Well in my opinion you can either politely tell him that you are managing his work and will notify him when its done or if you have any thing to ask from him. Or you can choose to write in the order requirements section that by accepting the order, the buyer is undertaking to not cause an interruption or micromanage the task. This is some easy way around as well where you can deliver your point to the buyer and don’t sound rude at the same time

3 Likes

72 hours is 3 days. These days I leave a note at the end of each day indicating how much is done - overview, rather than detail. Buyers get anxious if one is silent for 3 days.

The micromanaging thing … you may be right, human, but it’s very mild micromanaging. I’ve experienced dramatically worse that makes this guy look positively saintly!

tl;dr: It may be anxiety or it may be micromanaging … or possibly both!

4 Likes

There may be worse people, but this is a clear sign of disrespect and that never turns into a good thing. It usually gets worse and I feel we should all strive to avoid mistreatment. It doesn’t become okay just because a lot of people are worse.

I would never tolerate this off Fiverr, so I wouldn’t tolerate it here. Disrespect is disrespect regardless of the platform.

5 Likes

It’s interesting to read different takes on human behaviour.

My stance is that buyers know they are ordering a three day service when they hand over their money to Fiverr.

Not only this but, as I mentioned, I always send a message thanking clients for their order and reiterating that they will receive it within 72 hours and that I will be in contact if there are any problems.

But I guess it is human nature that people want reassurance.

I do however think @humanissocial is right in this particular case - it’s a control thing. As I said, he’s never caused me any problems as such - but I think he is mean… always maxing out the word count, chasing, and not leaving feedback.

5 Likes

Go with your gut, @english_voice - if your gut feeling is that it’s control, then it probably is …

3 Likes

If you care for yet another take - mustn’t it be very stressful for him to adapt his word count needs to your gig limit ;), don’t you do custom offers for the exact word count people have? Maybe he’d relax a little if he knew he could order exactly 857 or 1012 words or something for the price relative to your 1000 words gig, so he’d not feel the need to watch his word count like a hawk and wouldn’t feel like underpaying or overpaying?

As for the chasing, you could try to not let him wind you up (I know, easier said than done :slight_smile: but you know how they say it always takes two), just calmly assert your own control over your part of the deal, maybe save a quick response like “No worries, you’ll receive your file within the delivery time”; maybe he either needs an additional “ritual” to feel reassured and if it just takes one click more maybe it’s not too bothersome for you, or maybe he’ll realize that there is really no need to worry eventually.

“Why do some people feel the need to do this?!” vs “but I think he is mean” sounds a bit contradictory to me; if you see the possibility of him “needing” to do that, it probably means he isn’t mean but just has some issues.

That doesn’t make the situation itself much better for you, but I find it makes it easier to not get wound up if one acknowledges that some people have more issues than others (don’t we all have some) and to just accept it if it just means one additional message per order for the people who need it (if someone really disturbs your workflow, it might be worth a bit of thought, of course, or might not be worth the pain and time ultimately, we’re not being paid for being customers’ personal psychologists, after all, at least most of us aren’t).

As long as he keeps ordering and pays the correct price (with the 999 words balancing out the 1001 words in the grand scheme of things :wink: I admit I rather find this funny, actually) and needs one additional message to feel at peace, whatever. If he’s neither abusive nor a scammer, nor do you feel he isn’t rude but just a pain (maybe just decide to not let it be a pain, it might work), I wouldn’t call that mean, mean would be if he kept leaving 3* star reviews and coming back ;).

Listen to your gut feeling is often good advice, however, sometimes, it can also be good to face one’s demons ;), or to go beyond one’s comfort zone, sometimes it’s really best to part ways, sometimes it’s an opportunity to work on ourselves and might turn out just fine, you’ll find the way to deal with it that’s just right for you at this time.

6 Likes

To be honest I also don’t like when people start chasing me before deadline and asking if I have something to show them already. It doesn’t wind me up but I do get :woman_shrugging:.

I actually have a quick response ready for everyone who is asking about the time so I don’t stress out writing an answer and I just have to press the button.
I keep it very unemotional and factual along the lines: “I’m working on your order and will deliver it within the order deadline. You can see the clock countdown on our order page”. Or I’m attaching a screenshot of the timer with the time left. (So basically reappearing your first message that you are sending out when the order is placed)

Maybe if you will send him the same message every time he asks he will stop asking it?

He is not the first time buyer that doesn’t know how fiverr works and just worried that they don’t know a seller and don’t know if the seller will deliver.
In his case he knows the process, he know you and that you always deliver in time but he is still making a decision to chase you up In the middle of the project. That’s definitely a personality thing and as @humanissocial said a micromanagement

7 Likes

Hi, I get these type of buyers more than I should. In this case I clearly state that when you placed the order the package mentions that I deliver within 2 days and if you require it within 1 day you can get it done for extra charge. As soon as they see the extra charge they back off and gets silent. If the gig information is solid just make sure to highlight those areas in your replies. Be polite of cause. :smile:

3 Likes

BTW I am not sure about this but I was told that blocking someone does not make the buyer stop placing orders. It only stops the chat option. Can someone confirm this?

I think this might just be how the person is in real life too. There are people who are micro-managers, who want to feel like they’re in control of everything or are anxious and need constant updates. I’ve started vetting the clients who I work for. If they’re vague or over involved, less than polite and don’t provide proper instructions and press you on time, I don’t work for them. I had one client who forced me to stay up till 4am at night once after delivering because he needed to ‘pray’ at 1am for me and would send me feedback only afterwards on something he said was very ‘urgent’ and had to be done within 12 hours. I learnt from that and avoid clients who rush me like the plague. I’m also less inclined to work with clients who are supremely budget conscious since I constantly have been raising my prices. As long as you have other work, I’d recommend dropping clients like these. There’s no shortage of buyer’s on the platform willing to pay your prices as long as you’re providing high quality work! Good luck!

5 Likes

Had an exact buyer like this. Was very unpredictable. Thing is, he was a very regular buyer. So when the orders came in, I just dealt with it.

Maybe something like shown in the following thread could be used for buyers who want that:

eg. show some sort of progress thing for those that want it. Even if you’ve not started work on it.

I always acknowledge new orders by saying something like “Thank you for your order, please leave it with me and I will deliver your completed project within 72 hours…

You could see if saying “3 days” instead of “72 hours” makes any difference to how often they contact you about it. Maybe there could be a multiple choice option added in the requirements for if and how often they would like progress updates.

1 Like

I have longer time limits for all my gigs because I have a very busy schedule. People frequently seem to think I started their work immediately after receiving their order, which is understandable, I guess, but aggravating. I put every job on an actual schedule. I don’t make progress every day, so I can’t give updates. I do their job when it’s their turn.

Like Mariashtelle1, I send a generic “I will deliver it within the order deadline” statement with an extra dose of “I always strive to deliver as soon as possible… blah blah.”

I think some buyers need control and others simply don’t understand that they’re not the only ones in the universe.

7 Likes

I have a quick response for buyers like this. Something along the lines of: “The gig you’ve purchased has X days delivery time. There are currently Y days/hours remaining. The project will be delivered with no delay in that timeframe. Thank you.”

It’s seriously the biggest pet peeve of mine. Yes, ask me another 10 times how it’s going, it’ll for sure make me work faster. It’s the behavior of each and every poorly trained project manager in their early twenties I’ve ever dealt with.

My standard delivery time is 4 days and I make sure I let people know that. But I think, the longer the delivery time is, the fewer people like this you tend to attract. My buyers usually know the work takes time and they don’t mind waiting.

6 Likes

“Another ten times” when your delivery time is 4 days? I hope that was just for the lol effect, I don’t think I ever had someone asking even an initial ten times.

Well, if someone would really ask repeatedly, I might stop responding after one or two times and just work, so their order won’t be late because I keep responding :wink:

It’s astonishing, however, that some buyers don’t seem to realize that asking for updates/trying to rush sellers might actually far from benefit them.

3 Likes

You make a good point that some buyers do think they’re the only ones. These type of buyers tend to have an ego the size of a London bus - and they tend to be controlling.

3 Likes