Fiverr Community Forum

Buyers' Weaknesses or Ignorance?

Isn’t it funny that Buyers can not only read but also show great weakness when it comes to maths?!

A potential client says they need a translation English to German. Since I don’t know the word count, I send my current standard offer for 150 words = $5.

Then they tell me that the project has 33,850 words and is split into various documents. I ask the client if they want a quote for the total sum or - since the client translates themself - text by text. Client says they want the total.

I send the quote and they say "Oh, sorry, that exceeds my budget by far."

They could have known that before by doing some simple maths.

And that’s not the first time this happened. It’s the same with voiceover projects. Do they really not know how calculate or are they just ignorant?

I would offer 2 deals on your gig. A $5.00 option and a $25.00 option. Custom quote everything else. Don’t let the customer build the price. Don’t do larger than $25.00 on the first order.

For me larger projects are not cheaper, they are actually more time consuming per word. You’ve got continuity issues that lengthen the production time per word.

Reply to @belengarcia:

When selling a service/your time I think it’s more like if you employ someone for an entire week instead of a single day you would expect your employee to work nights or weekends for free.

Reply to @voicetex: I would not make the statement to the customer that you made above. This could come across as being rude to them. No matter how the customer responds, I would never let it raise your response. You don’t want to be rude, You don’t need to make a point. Don’t let it be emotional. It’s not personal, because they don’t know you. They have no idea what is involved to do the work. If they did, they would do it for themselves.

Just do a word count, send a quote, if they decline just send a message:

“Thank you for giving me an opportunity to send you a quote. It was great to meet you” You can be confident without being negative towards them. I think your objective in your statement was too show confidence.

80% of a persons decision to work with you is based on if they like you.

Reply to @voicetex: I would not make the statement to the customer that you made above. This could come across as being rude to them. No matter how the customer responds, I would never let it raise your response. You don’t want to be rude, You don’t need to make a point. Don’t let it be emotional. It’s not personal, because they don’t know you. They have no idea what is involved to do the work. If they did, they would do it for themselves.

Just do a word count, send a quote, if they decline just send a message:

“Thank you for giving me an opportunity to send you a quote. It was great to meet you” You can be confident without being negative towards them. I think your objective in your statement was too show confidence.

80% of a persons decision to work with you is based on if they like you.

This happens to me all the time. I’m not sure if they aren’t smart enough to do the math, or if they are hoping I’m not smart enough to do the math. I think some are hoping I’ll do a lot more than they’re paying for. No can do! I’ve gotten used to sending them the required extras. It bothers me that I sometimes have to cancel if they don’t want to pay the correct price, though. It’s pretty disrespectful to the seller to either not pay attention to what the correct pricing should be, or to just completely ignore it in hopes of getting a lot more than you are willing to pay for. Part of being a freelancer, I guess.

Reply to @belengarcia: Growing or selling apples doesn’t equal translating more than 33thousand words.

I suggest you choose your analogies more careful next time, as you could come across as insensitive :slight_smile:

Reply to @voicetex:

Im afraid buyer will never learn …

unless they get a piece of ____ for as much as they pay.

I also assume their budget is $5 no matter what they want >.>

That happens to me all the time.
One character with color in my gig is around $10, so a complete illustration should be at least $20 (more than 1 char + background + etc) and still they ask a punch of questions before saying it is too high!

Even better, I told them exactly that before the final quote, also the time required to finish, they still end up saying it’s too high or too long.

I am starting to think we should charge for consulting.

Keep in mind that 33,850/150 equals more than 200. If you go to a market to buy apples, where the price is given in dollars per kilo, and you want 200 kilos, it’s not totally unreasonable to expect some bulk discount.
Nevertheless, I don’t think I’d accept such a large order on Fiverr, with all those horror stories about buyers cancelling after the delivery, Paypal disputes and so on.

They hope to get a discount. And some of them think that you’ll be so happy that they have offered you so much work that you will give them a huge discount.

Very true. They want the cheap stuff even cheaper. Yet, she didn’t even ask!
They don’t see that we are already working at discount rates, just to get some clients.
I usually get jobs with more than 10k words.
Standard translation turnaround is 250 words per hour, which would leave me with 7.5 USD per hour. Luckily I am much faster, but that still is something Buyers don’t realize.

They think that all we do is just retype their text in a different language. But actually we have to reinvent their text.

Marketing material is the hardest! You cannot just replicate the text. You have to know who it is for. It starts with whether they want formal or informal salutation and address of the reader. If they are promoting a technical product, I need to know whether there is an existing translation (and yes, I DO need it, thanks) and/or glossary.

I love working with agencies as most of them know what translation is about.

I also work offline for an agency as a traslator, but I think that Fiverr is a completely different thing. I charge ten times more offline, and I accept works of any size, use Trados, glossaries and all that.

But I understand Fiverr as a place where people comes to have very short translations done; someone who wants to translate his first app, the guy that buys a device and wants the instruction manual in his language, a personal site… Probably, an agency is too expensive for those kind of jobs and Fiverr is perfect. This clients on Fiverr don’t know what translation is about, and don’t even care. Just want something fast and cheap. I find most of this translations much easier and fast to do, and also more enjoyable compared to “real” ones.

I see nothing wrong with a client wanting to negotiate a price for a large project if they are tying to keep within a budget. I also have in my description the word count for a basic $5 gig. But I don’t begrudge a client for wanting a better deal and the only way they can see if that will happen is by asking. A little flexibility can go a long way in getting sales v.s. not getting sales.

So to my customers, please ask. I may say “no” but I won’t hold it against you if you ask for a deal package.

Reply to @landongrace: Yeah, that’s actually pretty much what I do. The Gig is really just there to give interested people an overview.
And yes, longer projects do not get discounts. I always return requests for discounts with "You have a business. How do YOU calculate prices? You add possible customer discounts to your calculation so you don’t have to cut your profit, don’t you? So, I don’t do that. What you get is what you see. Take it or leave it."
Most of them take my offer when they are familiar with business calculation.

Seriously, a professional translation of 1000 words costs 35 USD at the moment if ordered via my Gig/Custom Offer. I used to charge 50 USD for 1000 words, but changed my rate to boost the number of sales during the dry summer months.

Reply to @belengarcia: We are also lucky. Technical translation often pays more than any other field of translation - well, except for legal.

I want to educate my clients. I also provide quality - like you do. And I do feel like I deserve more than $3.40 per hour (incl. Fiverr fee, incl. PayPal)

Reply to @steveeyes: Exactly. But most don’t even ask! They just don’t even answer me when I ask what their budget is.
Some also go in their first message “I have a budget. Please make an offer for such and such.” Then I ask, how big a budget I am facing. Answer is "Please send a quote."
Uh-hu. So I do just that and then they say “Oooh too expensive.”

Guess what? I could have told you that before! I think it is ridiculous how some people want 10k words translated for $5.
They just don’t know how much work that is. We need to educate Buyers. Otherwise they’ll never learn.

Reply to @landongrace: It’s actually no longer emotional. It’s simple client education. If they are interested and can spare the time, I explain how I work and why I charge the way I do.
I have already lost that client for that job, but I might be able to make him re-think their position and maybe they will plan a bigger budget for the next job.
And even if they don’t contact me again, they know what to look for in a colleagues quote.

Reply to @voicetex: So your offer would have been based on what their budget was? If that’s the case, I don’t wonder that they should ask the price first.

Reply to @ricksper: Nope, you got that one wrong. I could have told them right away to go look for someone else and NOT spend half an hour on working on my quote.
I only quote after taking a look at the texts I am going to be working on.
My own fault? Sure.
It would simply save their time and mine.