Fiverr Community Forum

Buyers who are actually fake and try and send you a virus

Is it just my bad luck, or are there some deeply unpleasant people out there, posing as Buyers? This is the second time in a week that I’ve replied to a Buyers Request (along with many other people) only to be contacted later by someone of the same name who sends me a ‘Script’ (I am a Voice Over). Only the script has a .js (Javascript) extension. The first time I thought it was a bit strange and asked them why the script didnt end in .doc or .jpeg or.pdf or something like that. However, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and clicked on it. Immediately my computer protection software told me my computer was under attack by various viruses/Malware but luckily the protection software stopped everything and got rid of all the nasties. The same thing happend tonight but of course spotting the ‘Script’ had a .js extension I did not run it.

Who are those pathetic creatures trying to ruin other peoples lives? I belive in Karma and undobtedly their bad intentions will come back to haunt them.

Am I the only one encountering this?

10 Likes

That sadly happens more and more frequently lately it seems.
I’ve had someone contact me before and sent me a .doc asking if I could translate it for them. The document was unnamed which should have been a red flag but since pretty much all my customers are sending me word documents, I didn’t think much of it and downloaded it only to have my antivirus software ring all alarm bells right after. So this can also happen with other, more common types of files.
Since then I’ve been careful not to download any files but view them before downloading, though I don’t know if that makes any difference.

3 Likes

These people are so unpleasant.

I had looked it up after my two attacks and i did see that .doc files could also be used, which surprised me. In which case I am not sure why the scammers/hackers don’t do that all the time since most of us regard .doc files as friendly.
How do you manage to view files without downloading? I thought you had to download first…

1 Like

When you click on the file, it usually asks you what you would like to do with it. You have options to download it then or to just “view” it, which I suppose makes it temporarily accessible. I’m using a Windows operating system and here’s how they explain the protected view on their website for Microsoft Office Word files:

“Files from the Internet and from other potentially unsafe locations can contain viruses, worms, or other kinds of malware that can harm your computer. To help protect your computer, files from these potentially unsafe locations are opened as read only or in Protected View. By using Protected View, you can read a file and see its contents and enable editing while reducing the risks.”

2 Likes

I will keep that in mind next time. Anyhow - Happy selling!

2 Likes

I think I responded to the same, or a similar buyer request. Woke up to a message in Spam this morning, they wanted to pay me to record a sample script… But it was a zip file.

No thank you.

I really hope no one got affected by that. Seemed like a lot of people responded to that particular request.

They are scum, frankly. It might even be ransom ware…What surprises me is the elaborate nature of the scam. Putting out a totally false but very detailed Buyers Request, getting 20 people snared and then hoping 1 of the 20 will bite. Kaspersky saved me…Totally got rid of all the nasty stuff…

2 Likes