Fiverr Community Forum

Buyers who keep asking for revisions

There have been one or two people who keep asking for revisions, I make music and ive done everything they have asked but it seems like they are never satisfied there is only so much I can do. Every time I deliver modified work, he comes up with something new. For example someone wanted the song to be a bit slower it was slow enough to begin with and then I have to go a redo everything from scratch again and its so time consuming and i dont even get the full $5 as fiverr take about 20% or something like that and paypal takes 5% i feel like its just not worth my time anymore. im fine with fixing a few small things but if they keep requesting huge revisions its just not enough time to get it done. I have also stated in my gig description that i will only do 1 revision for gigs worth $5 but they keep revising it and they will end up canceling the order and leaving a bad review.

You need to put your foot down and explain that as per your gig description, you offer one revision only. If they require more modifications, they need to give you more $. You could offer a gig extra for unlimited revisions to cover this. Remember to contact Customer Support if buyers get abusive or threaten you with a bad review because you’re not giving them a piece of your soul for free!

What if they are not threatening you, they will just leave a bad review?

First of all, make them pay for your time. I only offer free revisions if I have made a mistake.

Here’s my policy - and if a buyer won’t accept that, he/she is free to work with different talent. I’m a professional, and I expect to be compensated for my work:

1. Free revisions will only be given if I have made a mistake, but only if:
a) the instructions were clear, to begin with, b) the script was 100% correct, to begin with.
2. I offer paid re-takes on a per-word basis. If a buyer wants a re-take because they weren’t happy with the style, tone, etc. I charge 10USD per 100 words, with 10USD being the minimum for any changes.
3. Script changes = new order or a per-word charge, depending on the number of changes and how complicated they are to implement.

If a buyer attempts to manipulate me into doing free work, they receive the following message:

Hi [name],
Thank you for reaching out regarding the [insert project name/description, etc.]. I wish to do my utmost to ensure you’re happy with your final delivery; however, I must point out that any revisions will be charged according to the terms of this project. As I’m sure you can understand, doing additional work on this project outside of the scope we originally agreed upon isn’t something I can provide for free. Please let me know if you want me to send a custom extra in this order for the changes you have suggested, and I’ll get started right away!

I appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
[Your name]

So what can we learn from this?

1. Prime your buyers to not ask for free work in the first place. Make it clear on your gig page, in your communications, and in your custom offers, that free revisions are not part of the package unless you make a mistake according to their instructions, and ONLY if the instructions are clear, to begin with.
2. Be polite but firm in your communications with your buyer. Make sure they understand that you will require an additional payment for additional work.

If a buyer proceeds to spam the revision-button, I’ll provide a gentle reminder to the buyer that:

The agreed-upon work has been done, that any cancellation of this project will make any use of the delivered product/service unlawful (meaning they can’t use what I’ve delivered unless they complete the order), and that I will be reaching out to customer support for a decision in the matter.

It never went so far, so your chances of educating the buyer and solving the issue with some polite but firm communication are high.

You are replying 4 years later (maybe you didn’t notice).

The moderators don’t like to see old posts resurrected.

Lol. No I didn’t notice. Thanks for the reminder.

2 Likes