Buyers Who Require Lots Of Explaination

marconibologna

I seem to have a frequent number of buyers who want the world but don’t want to add any gig extras to pay for what they want. I do voice overs and I always have people asking things like “How long will it take to knock this out?” or “I paid $10 extra to cover the words in my script and hopefully to put a rush on this order” I usually tell them. If you need a rush on your order you can add the FASTER DELIVERY option in GIG EXTRAS. The response recently after spending 2 days going back and fourth explaining word count, having them add gig extras that didn’t apply to the order to pay for words instead of just adding multiple gigs in the drop down menu, was “Hey can I cancel this order, I got another guy I think I am going to use.” To me that is lame. How can I avoid working with customers like this?

Does Fiverr have any type of protection or blocking you can do after a bad experience with a buyer? Sometimes it just seems like a lot of maintenance to deal with when only making a few extra bucks. What do you do?

@marconibologna

Buyers (anywhere) don’t understand that voice over is a performance art. You don’t just turn on a mic and talk 24 hours a day. You can’t work with a cold, allergy, when your voice is tired or worn out from all day in the studio. The voice needs rest, and your head needs to be in the right place.

Whether its $5 or $500, you have to set the tone of what you’re expectations are; by establishing a delivery time that suits your schedule and how you work. In 20+ years, I’ve never advertised “same day” or “rush jobs”. That’s not to say that I can’t or won’t do a same day job for a customer, but I’m not going to open that door.

If a client wants broadcast quality pro voice over work, it takes time to prepare, perform and do post. For me that could be 3pm or 3am, today, tomorrow or the next day, but it’s definitely when I’m ready.

I think you can establish your tone and expectations in your gig title, description and instructions. But blocking people can get messy in a hurry.

Good luck! 🙂

Archived