Can buyers resell my work?

Hello guys! So basically a guy contacted me and he told me that he wants to resell my work on a platform that he owns. I don’t mind that as he said that he will be buying my work on here and he will be paying me the full amount I charge for my service. Basically he will be placing orders on my gigs and he will be reselling the work. Is this doable? Asking on here as I didn’t see anything in the ToS about that and I want to make sure that everything’s good on my end.

Found it:

Hi, I hope you guys are doing great. Today I got a question for you, someone sent me a message on Fiverr’s inbox and he needs my permission to use my gig’s on his web. He told me that if he will use my gig on his website, he will get work, and then he will order me on Fiverr. What you think about what should I do in this situation. ? thinking Let me know your suggestions.

It sounds like he’s pretending he’s doing the work, which is wrong.

On top of being deceptive, his buyer isn’t permitting him to do this and share confidential information with a third-party (you), which is also wrong.

This buyer will also want you to charge little so he can mark up the price and profit. He won’t want to pay you what you’re worth.

Also, this doesn’t work because the end user has to follow Fiverr’s ToS. But you don’t deal with that person because that would defeat the point of resale. So how could that work?

Finally, what if your buyer’s buyer has a dispute? Your buyer will come to you. Third-party business is a huge mess and not worth the money.

Basically ALL, or a large portion, of my work is resold.

There is nothing against it. It’s a standard buy low, sell high transaction where you are the middleman/provider.

I sincerely hope your buyers give express permission for their clients’ (confidential) requests to be passed onto a third-party and that they are explicitly told that their information will be shared with a third-party.

Otherwise, it IS wrong.

And I’m assuming you don’t confirm this before doing an order…

On-selling is fine: the cornerstone of commerce. One person grows grain, another refines it, a third make it into bread, a fourth sells that bread in their shop to end users. Note that at ever stage value is added.

HOWEVER, with services (like making a logo), take extreme care as there tends to be a horrible breakdown of communication between real buyer & real provider unless the middle-man is very experienced at that exact process. If they are experienced in improving the process of translation between World-Artist-World they are adding value. If they are merely inserting themselves in the middle to take easy money (as I anticipate here), expect that laziness to backfire on you.

Try it and see but with very open eyes. Or simply see Red Flags and walk away.

Good luck
🙂

On-selling is fine: the cornerstone of commerce. One person grows grain, another refines it, a third make it into bread, a fourth sells that bread in their shop to end users. Note that at ever stage value is added.

HOWEVER, with services (like making a logo), take extreme care as there tends to be a horrible breakdown of communication between real buyer & real provider unless the middle-man is very experienced at that exact process. If they are experienced in improving the process of translation between World-Artist-World they are adding value. If they are merely inserting themselves in the middle to take easy money (as I anticipate here), expect that laziness to backfire on you.

Try it and see but with very open eyes. Or simply see Red Flags and walk away.

Good luck

🙂

cornerstone

Yes. For products that don’t require time or labour per product.

Fiverr is a marketplace, yes, but every single order requires labour and time and there is no way to automate the administration or communication. So the principles of scaling you describe do not apply at all.

You know how resale works? The person expects a low rate for the product so they can mark it up to make a profit. That’s fine if you aren’t spending and time and labour on each product, every item. But on Fiverr, you are.

I don’t understand why people apply scaling principles to Fiverr. You aren’t selling products. You’re selling your time, labour, energy and value.

Everything you said is a recipe for undervaluing oneself.

I sincerely hope your buyers give express permission for their clients’ (confidential) requests to be passed onto a third-party and that they are explicitly told that their information will be shared with a third-party.

Otherwise, it IS wrong.

And I’m assuming you don’t confirm this before doing an order…

I do voice over and video creation work. Many of my clients are not the end-users of my voice or video work. Company “A” hires Advertising Company “B” for a commercial voice over. Advertising Company “B” gives Company “A” a rate of $150 for a 30 second voice over. Advertising Company “B” hires me at $75, gets the voice over and makes $75 for it.

“Wrong” and “Right” is subjective, “Illegal” is equally subjective and varies by jurisdiction. As is “not good business”

I am not responsible for Company A’s information being passed on to me by Advertising Company B. We do not vet the information of a project request on this platform…it’s freelance, no contract and whether they, whomever “they” may be have been given permission, express or implied, in practice, is irrelevant to how projects are obtained and delivered on this platform.

Your assumption that I do not confirm or validate permission is factually correct, but only because it doesn’t matter. If it did, I would. I offer a service on fiverr at $xx. A buyer selling it for $xxx doesn’t matter, I set my prices. I do the same thing as a buyer and seller in my off-fiverr life. Since Fiverr is not my only source of income and revenue I leverage economies of scale. The more projects I get from everywhere, the less I make per individual product, but the more I make overall. There is a direct offset, so I focus on the average sale price company-wide. A bit off-topic, but I tend to be verbose in my responses.

I do voice over and video creation work. Many of my clients are not the end-users of my voice or video work. Company “A” hires Advertising Company “B” for a commercial voice over. Advertising Company “B” gives Company “A” a rate of $150 for a 30 second voice over. Advertising Company “B” hires me at $75, gets the voice over and makes $75 for it.

“Wrong” and “Right” is subjective, “Illegal” is equally subjective and varies by jurisdiction. As is “not good business”

I am not responsible for Company A’s information being passed on to me by Advertising Company B. We do not vet the information of a project request on this platform…it’s freelance, no contract and whether they, whomever “they” may be have been given permission, express or implied, in practice, is irrelevant to how projects are obtained and delivered on this platform.

Your assumption that I do not confirm or validate permission is factually correct, but only because it doesn’t matter. If it did, I would. I offer a service on fiverr at $xx. A buyer selling it for $xxx doesn’t matter, I set my prices. I do the same thing as a buyer and seller in my off-fiverr life. Since Fiverr is not my only source of income and revenue I leverage economies of scale. The more projects I get from everywhere, the less I make per individual product, but the more I make overall. There is a direct offset, so I focus on the average sale price company-wide. A bit off-topic, but I tend to be verbose in my responses.

I am not responsible for Company A’s information being passed on to me

Thanks. I know it isn’t. I’m saying that’s a problem.

Just because your client is happy to pass along confidential information without his client’s consent, that doesn’t make it ethical. So if you aren’t vetting for that you’re enabling it.

This isn’t just about law and policy. It’s about ethics. Facilitating a breach of confidentiality is unethical and if you aren’t vetting for that you are indeed facilitating it.

do the same thing as a buyer and seller in my off-fiverr life.

I do that, too, but only when I know for certain how my information will be used and with what parties. What you’re saying is that you don’t care if the end user has that information and giving express permission because it isn’t your problem.

Legally it isn’t. Morally it is.

This topic has taken a wide turn. Suffice to say that morality, too, is subjective. It can’t really be referred to without reference to the/an individual or a group of individuals (a society).
We could get into a debate about what are and are not considered accepted practices accepting jobs, vetting clients, following up on work (public sector vs private sector) and we’d both end up dizzy for the circle that we’d spin in.
There is no right or wrong, simply an opinion base on experiences and the circles we consider our societies.

cornerstone

Yes. For products that don’t require time or labour per product.

Fiverr is a marketplace, yes, but every single order requires labour and time and there is no way to automate the administration or communication. So the principles of scaling you describe do not apply at all.

You know how resale works? The person expects a low rate for the product so they can mark it up to make a profit. That’s fine if you aren’t spending and time and labour on each product, every item. But on Fiverr, you are.

I don’t understand why people apply scaling principles to Fiverr. You aren’t selling products. You’re selling your time, labour, energy and value.

Everything you said is a recipe for undervaluing oneself.

That’s not true at all 🤨

Only thing that matters is product. Buyer doesn’t care if you spent 100 hours on this order, or if you drank litres of coffee and smashed your head on keyboard several times. He wants to get what he needs.

Well of course there are other major things like communication for example that also counts, but time labour or energy invested doesn’t matter.

Sure, you can sell your time like a construction worker. But take a look on most successful Fiverr sellers, i’m talking about top rated sellers with 300+ orders in queue and charging 50$+ per order. You really think they are selling their time, labour or energy? :roll_eyes: They work smart because they are selling product.

That’s not true at all 🤨

Only thing that matters is product. Buyer doesn’t care if you spent 100 hours on this order, or if you drank litres of coffee and smashed your head on keyboard several times. He wants to get what he needs.

Well of course there are other major things like communication for example that also counts, but time labour or energy invested doesn’t matter.

Sure, you can sell your time like a construction worker. But take a look on most successful Fiverr sellers, i’m talking about top rated sellers with 300+ orders in queue and charging 50$+ per order. You really think they are selling their time, labour or energy? :roll_eyes: They work smart because they are selling product.

. Buyer doesn’t care if you spent 100 hours on this order, or if you drank litres of coffee and smashed your head on keyboard several times. He wants to get what he needs.

It doesn’t matter if you earn $30 within an hour or $5 within an hour? Really? That’s why you can’t apply product scaling to labor scaling. One uses your time. The other doesnt.

You do know the purpose of freelancing is to make a profit right? Not to appease cheap people.

And yes buyers do care. You really think you can attract professional people who trust your quality if you do huge projects for peanuts?

So of course scaling in labour differs from scaling of products. Sorry, but your argument is absurd.

Professionals know they have to pay well if they want to get a return on their investment. If you aren’t attracting those people, your problem isn’t your price… You’ve clearly only worked with lowball clients who don’t understand value.

True professionals don’t try to do a high volume of projects for little money for each one. They do the opposite. And professional, competent people hire them.

But if you want to do more labor for less money, go ahead. Just don’t advocate that others do the same.

. Buyer doesn’t care if you spent 100 hours on this order, or if you drank litres of coffee and smashed your head on keyboard several times. He wants to get what he needs.

It doesn’t matter if you earn $30 within an hour or $5 within an hour? Really? That’s why you can’t apply product scaling to labor scaling. One uses your time. The other doesnt.

You do know the purpose of freelancing is to make a profit right? Not to appease cheap people.

And yes buyers do care. You really think you can attract professional people who trust your quality if you do huge projects for peanuts?

So of course scaling in labour differs from scaling of products. Sorry, but your argument is absurd.

Professionals know they have to pay well if they want to get a return on their investment. If you aren’t attracting those people, your problem isn’t your price… You’ve clearly only worked with lowball clients who don’t understand value.

True professionals don’t try to do a high volume of projects for little money for each one. They do the opposite. And professional, competent people hire them.

But if you want to do more labor for less money, go ahead. Just don’t advocate that others do the same.

Honestly I have no idea what you talking about 😐

I’m not familiar with terms of product scaling or labor scaling.

I’m saying that quality of final delivery is what matters, not hours put into it.

Im talking about minifying development time as much as it can be without losing value of product and having a decent profit margin. In multiple ways.

For example if I can deliver 10 products in 1 hour with 10$ profit margin, that’s 100$ per hour. Way better than working 8 hours a day for 20$ per hour, like a “pro”.

That’s not true at all 🤨

180620_2.png humanissocial:

That’s not true at all 🤨

That’s not true at all 🤨

I know you don’t understand scaling. That’s my whole point. You said it was untrue because you misunderstood what I was saying by “selling time” You assumed that I’m saying buyers care about time. That’s not at all what that means. Of course they don’t care about time.

“Selling your time” means you’re exchanging your labour and time for a fee, which means it must be higher per item than a product because you can sell infinite products in an hour whereas you can’t do that when your product involves the labor of one person.

Don’t tell me what I’m saying is untrue when you don’t understand the concept.

Here’s TOS extract of Ownership clause that may give the correct answer to OP’s question:

Ownership and limitations: When purchasing a Gig on Fiverr, unless clearly stated otherwise on the Seller’s Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the Buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyrights for the work delivered from the Seller, and the Seller waives any and all moral rights therein.

For removal of doubt, in custom created work (such as art work, design work, report generation etc.), the delivered work shall be the exclusive property of Buyer, and Seller assigns all rights, title and interest in the delivered work. Some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for a Commercial Use License. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights you require for such use, and will not need the Commercial Use License. If you intend to use it for any charge or other consideration, or for any purpose that is directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit, you will need to buy the Commercial Use License through a Gig Extra and will have broader rights that cover your business use.

Reselling work would need Commercial Use Licence that can be offered separately as gig extra.

• 1 year later...
Guest freelancerjabir

Sometimes Buyers do this !  But it's not the big deal ! If you are getting orders then you should not think about all of this 

Archived