Fiverr Community Forum

Can Fiverr Freelancers Apply for Unemployment Benefits under the CARES Act? If so, how?

https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus/unemployment-insurance

Has anyone applied for unemployment benefits under the Cares Act as a Fiverr Freelancer and if so, how do you fill out parts of the form where it requests “Employer” information since Fiverr is technically not our Employer?

2 Likes

this might can help you https://www.thebalancecareers.com/can-i-collect-unemployment-if-i-m-self-employed-2064148

This is similar to the link I posted. But, the question is how do you actually fill out the Unemployment Benefits Form when it’s asking for Employer information and Fiverr is technically not our Employer.

you are considered as self-employed, not sure how will that end up, good luck!

We are not “employed” so that won’t work for us. We are self employed. We don’t have an employer. We are not eligible for that.
EDIT:
I’m wrong apparently as it states it is for self employed individuals.

They don’t make it easy. Here is what one state requires you to fill out which may not be possible if you are a freelancer on fiverr:

Before filing, make sure you have the following information available:

• Social Security number
  • Driver’s license or State ID number
  • Your employment for the last 18 months including for each employer:
    ** * Name, address, and phone number**
    ** * First and last day of work**
    ** * Gross earnings (before taxes are taken out) during the listed dates**
    ** * The reason for separation**
    ** * FEIN (this is found on any W2 or 1099 tax forms you have received)**
    ** * If you don’t have the FEIN, you can use employer details off of a recent paystub **
    ** * Claims filed without correctly reporting employers may experience** delays. It is important to list the correct employment information when filing your claim. If you fail to do so, your benefits may be delayed while the missing employment information is obtained
2 Likes

First: I’m neither a lawyer nor accountant. With that in mind: if you are self-employed your employer is either your sole-member LLC, your business (solo/S-corporation), or yourself. If the form is asking, put “self” or the name of your registered company.

Edited to add “S-corporation” — finally remembered what it’s called :wink:

3 Likes

Yes- My husband applied and got $167 a week. We live in California and here is the link to access that for freelancers who live in CA:

https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/pandemic-unemployment-assistance.htm

I have not filed because I am still earning a good income on Fiverr but I know first hand it works. However, you will need patience because it’s a bit tedious to complete everything. All you Fiverr freelancers are smart though!

It’s called the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance or PUA in California.

From State of California Employment Development Department- “ As part of the federal CARES Act, the new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program helps unemployed Californians who are business owners, self-employed, independent contractors, have limited work history, and others not usually eligible for regular state UI benefits who are out of business or services are significantly reduced as a direct result of the pandemic.”

1 Like

That’s fantastic! California is so ahead of the rest of the country in some ways.

2 Likes