Fiverr Community Forum

Can I invite a client from outside through my referral link to pay me via Fiverr

Can I ask a client that I met in 3rd party sites to send me the money via fiverr gig and rate me?
Can I do this by inviting him to sign-up through my referral link so that he gets 20% discount while buying from me and I get 20% more?
i.e. For an order of $100, he will pay $80 since it is his first purchase here and I’ll get full $100. Is this possible/ legal? Thanks! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No you can’t. Read the TOS

2 Likes

How exactly you get 100$ if he pays 80?
Also you can do that obviously. Tell him to make a fiverr account and buy from you. That is legal but I don’t see how exactly do you profit.
Also asking for 5 star review is not allowed so yeah.
You can tell him to leave a feedback but you mustn’t tell him what to write etc

3 Likes

I haven’t understood the referral scheme so I am asking whether it works that way or not.
Fiverr website says:

You get 20% of their first order amount

So maybe I’d get 20% of $80. But does that actually happen? My referral, buying from myself and both of us getting benefits.

1 Like

I can only tell you that what you want to do is completely legit and allowed.
But it definitely doesn’t work like you suggested (buyer pays 80$ and you get 100$).

1 Like

Of course you can’t.

Read the ToS and get yourself some ethics.

3 Likes

“Fiverr Anywhere is a feature that allows Sellers to send Custom Offers outside of Fiverr.” (From TOS)
Did I misunderstand this then?

That doesn’t mean you can use the affiliate program to get people to review your gig…

2 Likes

Yes. I just wanted to check did I miss something.

I also told him that “Rate me” part wasn’t allowed. :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. But the review is for a service that I am selling to the buyer, not for the motive of getting good ratings. I only wanted to know if I can get buyers that I met on social media pay me via Fiverr through a relevant gig (the review and rating is something that the buyer does himself if he likes my service)
Edit: I might have worded the thread wrong but I wanted to say that I could get rated if I ask him to do the transaction through fiverr (And not through bank or anything else) The TOS doesn’t specifically mention this. I’m sorry if what I thought was wrong, I am not doing anything unethical, just clearing my doubts.

1 Like

It’s so unethical to get people to work with you so you can get a commission off them…

And to be honest it sounds like you’re spamming people on social media.

I encourage you to research how affiliate programs actually lead to commissions. It doesn’t come from spamming people and getting them to buy your gig so you can get a commission.

2 Likes

I was approached by a person who wanted me to make a design. I talked with him, gave him a quote and if legit, he has agreed to buy the design through one of my gigs (because my country doesn’t have paypal yet). Is that spamming on social media? I asked in a Fiverr Facebook group, whether asking someone to buy my service from Fiverr instead of personal contact is legal or not and there were mixed answers. One of the commentors said “You can refer and get 20% more”. Since I am new, I wanted to make sure that everything I do here is legal. So I am asking it in the forum. Is asking someone to join fiver and do the exchange ‘spamming people for commission’? Thank you for your replies.

1 Like

Check if you have this option “BYOD”. It will allow you to send them an offer and receive the 20% that fiverr takes back.

2 Likes

Asking someone to buy your services through your Fiverr gig instead of elsewhere isn’t the issue.

The issue is that your motivation to do that is partly to get a commission. So it’s an inherently biased decision and bias shouldn’t dictate or influence what you recommend to a potential client. That bias also affects the work itself.

Whatever Fiverr may or may not allow, this is unethical and unprofessional.

3 Likes

At this point, I don’t even know whether it gives me commission or not. Please check the post again. I asked whether the scheme:

Your friend signs up to Fiverr & gets 20% off their first purchase You get 20% of their first order amount
works for a buyer who was **invited by me** and also **buys from me**

@jovicdesigns answered that it is allowed.
You are just making assumptions that I am spamming or working against ethics. If Fiverr has given a referral scheme to bring people to this platform in exchange of benefits to both the buyer and seller I don’t know why it’s unethical or unprofessional, that too when all the three parties are agreeing.

1 Like

That’s what an affiliate program is… A commission. That is the reason you want to do this, so that bias is the issue.

Don’t just ask yourself what Fiverr allows. Asks what is professional and ethical.

3 Likes

Fiverr is basically saying “Bring more people here by referral and get so-called COMMISSION, as you call it”. I still don’t understand why you think it’s unethical… Then there’s no point in creating such refer schemes if people think referring is an act of getting a commission. Referral programs use our BIASEDNESS towards benefits to get more people on the platform. And I never asked whether it is ethical or professional. I only wanted to know if Fiverr allows the referral bonuses if the referrer and referee are doing the buying and selling among themselves.

2 Likes

You’re not getting my point at all.

The bias isn’t in getting people to buy. It’s getting people to buy your service. It’s unprofessional.

1 Like

If someone has approached me, asking to buy my service and I tell him “you can buy it from me on Fiverr because we don’t have paypal here and they’ll also give you 20% off if you do so”.

If a client wants my service, should I ask him to buy it from someone else just because according to you, it is unprofessional?
If I don’t get people to buy my service what am I supposed to do as a Freelancer?
Your comments are making no sense and are becoming irrelevant to the OP. Let us end it here. I still have the main doubt uncleared.
And I am asking if the act is some sort of violation of Fiverr’s norms. If yes, I’m not doing it.

1 Like

You’re still not getting it.

I’m talking about getting a referral commission from getting that job (your own gig) that you asked a seller to buy from you NOT simply suggesting your Fiverr gig and taking that business. That makes no sense.

I don’t know why you keep misunderstanding me. This isn’t a difficult concept.

3 Likes