Fiverr Forum

Can't find sellers to offer even BASIC gigs

Seems like every seller just wants to go after the low hanging fruit. I posted two requests for two gigs, and NOBODY responded.

My first one was that I need a CUSTOM MADE cover needed. For licensing and copyright reasons, I don’t want to do a knockoff with “stock photos.” The problem is that this is for an e-book I am going to sell as my own product. I can’t use “stock photos” or collaged photos for licensing and copyright reasons because then it means that unless i can prove it’s public domain, I will have to pay licensing fees, or I will have to pay penalties if someone comes along later and discovers I used their content without consent. Again, NOBODY TOUCHED IT. Heck, no one even sent any “feelers” out to see if I would be willing to pay significantly MORE than $5 for it (I would, within reason).

My other gig is that I am looking for a 3D seller to create a prop for me to use in Daz3D. I need a prop that looks like a headband that fits VERTICALLY over the top of the head to create a set of “bear ears” at the top of the human model. Again, nobody TOUCHED it, no one even INQUIRED about it.

Here’s a tip for you would be sellers: offer something UNIQUE. I went through about three dozen sellers for each of these two gigs, and aside from differences in the user names, your own PARENTS couldn’t tell your gig from one another’s. Not everyone wants to buy the same prepackaged gig that everyone else and their brother is offering.

If it’s for an eBook, you can use stock photos. Just make sure you’re dealing with a reputable cover designer that uses public domain images. Or you can hire an illustrator and do an illustration instead. I know what I’m talking about, my best friend sells books on Amazon and all their covers came from Fiverr.

I’m sorry you’ve experienced this lack of interest. I’m not sure why no one responded – I myself am not associated with the tags you likely included with your buyer request, so I did not see it within my own seller list of buyer requests related to my own gig tags.

At the moment, I do not have an active gig that would fit your cover needs. However, I have done this kind of work for previous clients (in my own previous website-listed artist services before I joined Fiverr). Perhaps, if you send me a message, we can discuss your needs, and if your needs fit with my set of professional skills, I might be able to send you a custom gig specifically taylored to your project needs.

I do offer artwork gigs right now, but the gig terms might not be applicable to your specific artwork needs. If you’re interested, though, we can discuss the project. :slight_smile:

bcweir said: My first one was that I need a CUSTOM MADE cover needed. For licensing and copyright reasons, I don't want to do a knockoff with "stock photos." The problem is that this is for an e-book I am going to sell as my own product. I can't use "stock photos" or collaged photos for licensing and copyright reasons because then it means that unless i can prove it's public domain, I will have to pay licensing fees, or I will have to pay penalties if someone comes along later and discovers I used their content without consent.

Get in touch with jonbaas by all means, but I suggest you also search for "illustrators" or "illustration'.

You're incorrect about "stock images". There are sources of royalty free images or 'stock' images that are sold/licensed specifically for what you want to do. Any PROFESSIONAL cover artist will be able to provide whatever type of cover you'd like, including those with photos, legally. It's also possible for the designer to direct you to an appropriate image that you can personally purchase (making sure that you own the use of it) and then forward it to the artist/designer for use in your project.

I am sorry you've had a bad experience, but that's quite often the case when using this system. If jonbaas isn't a good fit, feel free to message me. I've been a professional graphic designer for nearly a decade and I can provide you a quote for the work.

Good luck!

I have had many clients provide their own images for my gig. There are tons of stock photo sites you can purchase images that are royalty free and no license issues.

itsyourthing said: I am sorry you've had a bad experience, but that's quite often the case when using this system.

How have you come to this conclusion?
What size is your sample based on?
Are you basing your conclusion on the forum, where people mainly come with problems (which is why there is a ranting pot and not a 'praise pot')?

In my experience, sellers on this site are great, as are buyers. There is no need to discredit the site to fit your own agenda, as it's really tacky.

itsyourthing said: I've been a professional graphic designer for nearly a decade and I can provide you a quote for the work.

mrproofreading said: There is no need to discredit the site to fit your own agenda, as it's really tacky.

I'm not discrediting the site unnecessarily, and if I had an agenda to try and score an order for myself, why would I be saying the "system" has issues? Any FIverr system issues would affect my account just as well as any other seller's. I also wouldn't recommend jonbaas twice, or publicly offer information.

mrproofreading said: How have you come to this conclusion?
What size is your sample based on?
Are you basing your conclusion on the forum, where people mainly come with problems (which is why there is a ranting pot and not a 'praise pot')?

I have come to that conclusion based on my own experiences, and corroboration from the forum, because yes, when my funds aren't where they should be, messages are missing from my inbox, links to my gigs are missing etc., etc., I check the forum.

I am entitled to speak from my experiences and observations without conducting a user satisfaction survey.

Thanks for the steer, bcweir. I won’t join the hot debate, but I will take away your comment about sellers offering unique services.

I just got started here and posted one gig (no nibbles yet). Now I’m going to step back and consider what I can offer that nobody else is doing.

Reply to @itsyourthing:

itsyourthing said: I also wouldn’t recommend jonbaas twice, or publicly offer information.

You recommended him once, followed by “If jonbaas isn’t a good fit, contact me”. This specific block of text was preceded by you slating the system, which is why I assumed it was to fit your own agenda.

Prior to this, on another forum post, you explicitly stated that you are only a seller, so how have you made this conclusion?

I spend a lot of time on the forum too, coupled with my own frustrations on the site, but to publicly state it to gain a sale…? It doesn’t sit well with me.

As a seller, you’re partly responsible for the running of this site, as well as keeping buyers satisfied. Every single seller holds this responsibility, as it’s the only way fiverr will keep a good reputation and continue to attract new buyers.

By all means, feel free to vent your frustrations, but not in a manner that is seemingly self-serving, with an ulterior motive of gaining an additional sale.

For you to write the following text, followed by a prompt for the buyer to get in touch? I’m sorry, but that’s pretty poor.

itsyourthing said: I am sorry you've had a bad experience, but that's quite often the case when using this system. If jonbaas isn't a good fit, feel free to message me. I've been a professional graphic designer for nearly a decade and I can provide you a quote for the work.

Reply to @zaapster: Good luck as a seller!

Content writing is a very popular service, so I’m sure you’ll get some customers through soon enough. :slight_smile:

thank you Zaapster. I reviewed your Gig, but that is not what I am looking for with either of my two requests. Publishing a 500 word article about my website not on my needed services. Thank you for the offer

@bcweir,

Do you need the ears for that hilarious superhero image? It saddens me deeply that no one want’s to help you with it. I don’t do 3D but maybe I can help you with your book cover. Send me a message if you are interested.

Sorry for self promotion.

Reply to @mrproofreading: I don’t understand why you’re so bothered by my offering a service. Of course I’d like to sell more gigs, that’s why I’m here. I certainly wasn’t obnoxious in my offer, or in my criticism of Fiverr.

I don’t know what conclusion you’re referring to. And if you’ve seen my posts on the forum, you will have seen that I criticize the Fiverr system quite often and very, very rarely even discuss my gigs, let alone suggest someone get in touch with me. My username isn’t even sales-motivated.

I see many flaws and many ways in which Fiverr could be improved. But all-in-all, my comments are designed to explain why, and point out that if anyone - buyer or seller - isn’t happy with it, the best thing they can do is focus on moving forward, getting what they want out of it and ignoring the shenanigans. (Other than my occasional full-blown “WHY?!?!” rant.)

I’m sorry your knickers are in a twist, but I don’t see that I’ve done anything to twist them.

Reply to @itsyourthing: I certainly have seen your posts on the forum, specifically the one where you to refer to being only a seller (not a buyer).

Therefore, you agreeing with a BUYER who has a very specific problem, one which I doubt you have personally experienced (because of your own buying inexperience), in order to promote your own gig, is pretty appalling.

Seriously, just re-read this paragraph:

itsyourthing said: I am sorry you've had a bad experience, but that's quite often the case when using this system. If jonbaas isn't a good fit, feel free to message me. I've been a professional graphic designer for nearly a decade and I can provide you a quote for the work.

It reads as follows:
"Yes, the system is crap for buyers, it usually is when buying on fiverr. That doesn't happen with me though, so get in touch."

Pretty poor, no?

Reply to @mrproofreading: Dude, really, you need to stop projecting. It may read like that to you, but it seems like you’re trying really hard to read it that way.

It’s a face-value comment with a low pressure offer of services if the first person who directly offered their services (jonbaas) didn’t work out. Jonbaas also expressed sympathy for the buyer’s situation, by the way.

As far as not being a buyer, one doesn’t have to own a horse to feel bad for someone when their horse gets killed by a lightning strike, and if the sympathizer knows that horses standing in a field are more likely to be struck during a storm than the horses in a barn, there’s no harm in mentioning it as a qualifier of the sympathetic statement.

If you’re interested in a reading-between-the-lines throwdown, allow me to point out that your comments read very much like someone who is; A.) lacking sales and trying to promote their mrproofreading account by throwing around unnecessary words in the forum; B.) feeling a bit down and looking to boost their confidence by exchanging clever banter in an attempt to win a fictional argument; C.) trying to score points with any Fiverr admins who may happen along, perhaps in a bid to secure a moderators position to ease points A & B already mentioned; D.) picking on me personally because you’re very bored and I happen to be here due to my own variety of boredom which happens to be the fruit of procrastination. :slight_smile:

My final point, if you’re bound and determined to use words like “appalling” and “self-serving”, there are numerous posts on this forum that are far, far more deserving.

Reply to @itsyourthing: I can now tell that you can’t handle a slight criticism. Very personal remarks made by you, which I deem pretty offensive!

Nonetheless, I’ll do my best to answer your rage-filled response. :slight_smile:

itsyourthing said: It's a face-value comment with a low pressure offer of services if the first person who directly offered their services (jonbaas) didn't work out. Jonbaas also expressed sympathy for the buyer's situation, by the way.

Correct! However, jonbaas didn't slate the site in order to further his own agenda, am I right? You did that, which is sad.

itsyourthing said: As far as not being a buyer, one doesn't have to own a horse to feel bad for someone when their horse gets killed by a lightning strike

First, this analogy is completely irrelevant. Second, how can you sympathise with a buyer who had a poor BUYING experience if you've never BOUGHT anything on the site?

itsyourthing said: A.) lacking sales and trying to promote their mrproofreading account by throwing around unnecessary words in the forum

I have 37 orders in my queue. How many do you have? Unfortunately for you, I'm not the one trying to desperately strum up business on the forum by criticising the website. Good try though.

itsyourthing said: feeling a bit down and looking to boost their confidence by exchanging clever banter in an attempt to win a fictional argument

I'm currently ecstatic. My football team just won 2-1. However, injustice is injustice, and you openly criticising fiverr (without any personal buying experiences) on a public forum in a desperate attempt to gain $5 is pathetic.

itsyourthing said: trying to score points with any Fiverr admins who may happen along, perhaps in a bid to secure a moderators position to ease points

I wouldn't DREAM of this. If you was around when the ARS was introduced, you would have seen I was the one of the most vocal forum members. Why would I sacrifice my limited time for free? Doesn't make sense -- unless your name is @itsyourthing and you're trying to make sales by criticising fiverr.

itsyourthing said: picking on me personally because you're very bored and I happen to be here due to my own variety of boredom which happens to be the fruit of procrastination.

See point three. I've not picked on anybody. I raised a valid point about your blatant criticism of fiverr in order to gain a sale. YOU was the one who made personal remarks (see above).

Nice attempt, but please try again.

Reply to @mrproofreading:

mrproofreading said: However, jonbaas didn't slate the site in order to further his own agenda, am I right? You did that, which is sad.
I expressed my opinion based on personal experience and the repeated stories of others, that there are often problems working through Fiverr.

mrproofreading said: First, this analogy is completely irrelevant. Second, how can you sympathise with a buyer who had a poor BUYING experience if you've never BOUGHT anything on the site?
The analogy reinforces the notion that most people can be sympathetic towards another's plight even if they haven't had the exact same experience. In fact, its considered a characteristic of sociopaths to not be able to understand/have an emotional response to someone else's distress.

mrproofreading said: I have 37 orders in my queue. How many do you have? Unfortunately for you, I'm not the one trying to desperately strum up business on the forum by criticising the website. Good try though.
I have zero in queue. I'm not desperate, but it would be nice to get a few orders. Thank you.

mrproofreading said: I'm currently ecstatic. My football team just won 2-1. However, injustice is injustice, and you openly criticising fiverr (without any personal buying experiences) on a public forum in a desperate attempt to gain $5 is pathetic.
I suspect you've openly criticized "your football team" without having ever been a professional player, trainer or coach. I criticized Fiverr because I see flaws and much room for improvement to the platform, overall. One man's "pathetic" is another man's use of hyperbole.

mrproofreading said: I wouldn't DREAM of this. If you was around when the ARS was introduced, you would have seen I was the one of the most vocal forum members. Why would I sacrifice my limited time for free?
You seem to have plenty of time to chastise me in the forum; for free.

mrproofreading said: See point three. I've not picked on anybody. I raised a valid point about your blatant criticism of fiverr in order to gain a sale. YOU was the one who made personal remarks (see above).
This forum has many posts and comments blatantly criticizing Fiverr and many more full of blatant, obnoxious, spammy self-promotion. Yet you commented on this thread solely for the purpose of lambasting what you perceive to be a vulgar sales pitch by me. Not only is that simply rude, but it breaks the rules of the forum... comments have to be relevant to the thread.

mrproofreading said: Nice attempt, but please try again.
No, thank you. I'm not procrastinating today.

P.S. When you get angry your grammar slips.

This is excellent advice.

I started out with one very general gig, which served me well for a full year. But after I saw the kinds of requests I was getting and realized that I had constricted myself to one category and sub-category, when I could be reaching far more customers by creating more customized gigs, I started getting a lot more interest. For example, someone who searches specifically for blog posts, likely would not find my general writing gig, even though I’d be more than happy to do that kind of work on that gig–but they would find my gig specifically for blog posts. Anyway, just a case study there.

ALSO–the “uniqueness” factor, I believe, is part of what gets you in the running for Top Rated Seller…so…food for thought.

emasonwrites said: For example, someone who searches specifically for blog posts, likely would not find my general writing gig, even though I'd be more than happy to do that kind of work on that gig--but they would find my gig specifically for blog posts.

Having specific versions of gigs also cuts down on communication time - the buyer knows exactly what they're ordering and the seller knows exactly what to provide. At least in theory. ;)

Reply to @itsyourthing:

itsyourthing said: personal experience

You don't have any -personal experience-, as you are not a buyer. Irrelevant point once again.

itsyourthing said: its considered a characteristic of sociopaths to not be able to understand/have an emotional response to someone else's distress.

I did clearly empathise with the buyer. What I didn't do was force unrelated sales drivel down his throat to further my own business. Irrelevant point once again.

itsyourthing said: I'm not desperate, but it would be nice to get a few orders. Thank you.

Openly criticising a service that you have never used as a buyer in order to gain sales is desperate. Irrelevant point once again.

itsyourthing said: I suspect you've openly criticized "your football team" without having ever been a professional player, trainer or coach.

Incorrect. I am a faithful fan. Irrelevant point once again.

itsyourthing said: I criticized Fiverr because I see flaws and much room for improvement to the platform, overall.

How can you slate the website from a buyers perspective, without having any experience as a buyer? Irrelevant point once again.

itsyourthing said: You seem to have plenty of time to chastise me in the forum; for free.

If I could charge you, I would. Irrelevant point once again.

itsyourthing said: This forum has many posts and comments blatantly criticizing Fiverr and many more full of blatant, obnoxious, spammy self-promotion. Yet you commented on this thread solely for the purpose of lambasting what you perceive to be a vulgar sales pitch by me.

Yes, all of those things exist. However, what I've NEVER seen is a seller openly criticise the site to further their own agenda. I've said this a dozen times, but for some reason, it won't sink in. Also, I didn't use the word vulgar once, I said it was desperate/pathetic.

itsyourthing said: Not only is that simply rude, but it breaks the rules of the forum... comments have to be relevant to the thread.

Self-promotion isn't allowed; however, you broke that rule with your very first post. Irrelevant point once again.

itsyourthing said: P.S. When you get angry your grammar slips.

It was 2AM when I wrote the message. What I can guarantee is that YOU are the angry one (see your personal attack a few posts up).

Also, please take a look at my name. What does it say: MrProofReading or MrProofWriting? I'm off the clock. Irrelevant point once again.

I'll be the bigger person and end the discussion here. You are clearly a very angry and confused person, as evidenced by your consistently irrelevant points.

In the future, may I kindly remind you to not self-promote on the forums, as that isn't its purpose.

On top of that, how about a little humility when you're wrong? It goes a long way, and who knows, your sales might increase as a result.

Nice chatting to you! :-)