Chats - simplify please

In both desktop andthe mobile app, the chat is horribly confusing. When I speak to a potential freelancer or one with whom I have a current project going on, I’d like it to be just like a simple inbox. Recent interactions with people should be at the top, in chronologically reverse order. And it would be helpful to see all the interaction messages within each chat for context.

In desktop, the chat “Messages” is something different after an order has started. It’s within the context of an “Order”. Why? What’s the grand Einstein logic of this?

In mobile app, even while I’m chatting, the chat disappears as if it’s a feature to show me only the new stuff someone has written - why? I’d like to see context of what I’ve been speaking.

If it’s so monumentally important to show me only the new stuff, then highlight it in a different colour or mark it with a green dot or something, which can disappear when I’ve read it. But I’d appreciate one chat interface, not so many. Hope others feel the same way. I quite like the functionality here and have had success finding freelancers, but the chat and communication functionality is hideous. Please simplify it. Thanks.

In both desktop andthe mobile app, the chat is horribly confusing. When I speak to a potential freelancer or one with whom I have a current project going on, I’d like it to be just like a simple inbox. Recent interactions with people should be at the top, in chronologically reverse order. And it would be helpful to see all the interaction messages within each chat for context.

In desktop, the chat “Messages” is something different after an order has started. It’s within the context of an “Order”. Why? What’s the grand Einstein logic of this?

In mobile app, even while I’m chatting, the chat disappears as if it’s a feature to show me only the new stuff someone has written - why? I’d like to see context of what I’ve been speaking.

If it’s so monumentally important to show me only the new stuff, then highlight it in a different colour or mark it with a green dot or something, which can disappear when I’ve read it. But I’d appreciate one chat interface, not so many. Hope others feel the same way. I quite like the functionality here and have had success finding freelancers, but the chat and communication functionality is hideous. Please simplify it. Thanks.

the chat “Messages” is something different after an order has started: why? What’s the grand Einstein logic of this?

After an order has started, they generally want the the messages related to that order shown on the order page. So they recommend that you do the messages there, so in theory instructions/messages can more easily be found that order. So they’ll look different as the order page is a different style to the new “inbox”.

the chat “Messages” is something different after an order has started: why? What’s the grand Einstein logic of this?

After an order has started, they generally want the the messages related to that order shown on the order page. So they recommend that you do the messages there, so in theory instructions/messages can more easily be found that order. So they’ll look different as the order page is a different style to the new “inbox”.

Who is they? If the order is so important, the messages can either be available in both places (Chat and in Order), or in the usual chat a clear marker can occur somewhere in the middle pointing to the fact that with this chatter an order has started. I don’t need the chats to be confusingly in two places.

Also, in mobile, why does the chat disappear even when I’m in it? I’d find it immensely helpful to see the last few interactions on screen. Not just new ones.

Who is they? If the order is so important, the messages can either be available in both places (Chat and in Order), or in the usual chat a clear marker can occur somewhere in the middle pointing to the fact that with this chatter an order has started. I don’t need the chats to be confusingly in two places.

Also, in mobile, why does the chat disappear even when I’m in it? I’d find it immensely helpful to see the last few interactions on screen. Not just new ones.

Who is they?

I’m assuming that’s what Fiverr staff want.

If the order is so important, the messages can either be available in both places (Chat and in Order), or in the usual chat a clear marker can occur somewhere in the middle pointing to the fact that with this chatter an order has started. I don’t need the chats to be confusingly in two places.

But you might have 5 different orders currently active with the same seller. Having the messages related to each of those orders in the order page will help more than having them all in the chat page in that instance - it will help you more clearly see any new instructions/comments relating to that order. Especially if you want to look back on a particular order.

Yes I suppose they could have them in both the order page and the chat page, but if you have multiple orders active with the same seller/buyer it would be easier to follow any conversation if they were split by the orders that the messages were relevant to and not shown all in one thread in the messages section. The messages section could be used for where the messages weren’t specific to any particular order - though if they are instructions for all active orders it might still be better for those to be on the order page so you can clearly see that you deliver what the buyer is asking for for that order.

Who is they?

I’m assuming that’s what Fiverr staff want.

If the order is so important, the messages can either be available in both places (Chat and in Order), or in the usual chat a clear marker can occur somewhere in the middle pointing to the fact that with this chatter an order has started. I don’t need the chats to be confusingly in two places.

But you might have 5 different orders currently active with the same seller. Having the messages related to each of those orders in the order page will help more than having them all in the chat page in that instance - it will help you more clearly see any new instructions/comments relating to that order. Especially if you want to look back on a particular order.

Yes I suppose they could have them in both the order page and the chat page, but if you have multiple orders active with the same seller/buyer it would be easier to follow any conversation if they were split by the orders that the messages were relevant to and not shown all in one thread in the messages section. The messages section could be used for where the messages weren’t specific to any particular order - though if they are instructions for all active orders it might still be better for those to be on the order page so you can clearly see that you deliver what the buyer is asking for for that order.

Fair point about multiple orders. But this is an edge case. Most Fiverr users don’t have multiple orders with the same vendor. One designs functionality for what’s 90% of the use case. Anyway, even with multiple, I don’t mind the same appearing inside my usual chat with that vendor but if I initiated messages in the context of an order, then in the chat they can be marked as such. This way I have one place for chats and inside there the order-specific context is clearly flagged, while catering to 90% of the use case. Hope someone from Fiverr is listening.

Anyway, all of this doesn’t address the idiotic UI design in the mobile app.

Guest offlinehelpers

Fair point about multiple orders. But this is an edge case. Most Fiverr users don’t have multiple orders with the same vendor. One designs functionality for what’s 90% of the use case. Anyway, even with multiple, I don’t mind the same appearing inside my usual chat with that vendor but if I initiated messages in the context of an order, then in the chat they can be marked as such. This way I have one place for chats and inside there the order-specific context is clearly flagged, while catering to 90% of the use case. Hope someone from Fiverr is listening.

Sorry - replied to the wrong poster! 😃

Guest offlinehelpers

Hope someone from Fiverr is listening.

You could always ask them directly via the ticket system: 🙂

THIS!!!

Granted, I do find some value in being able to view the chat from a particular order. However, it’s fairly obnoxious that I need to switch back and forth between them. Why not simply mark in the chat dialoug “BLAH BLAH ORDER BEGUN” and similar at the finish. With a hyperlink from the order to that particular section of dialog.

As a seller that routinely works with the same clients repeatedly, I find the current system to make those jobs even HARDER. We discuss most of the details in chat, then the order begins, and three orders later I’m hopping from chat to order to order… just to find some particular detail of what the customer said.

Ultimately, I have no fantasy that fiverr “is listening” or will care if they are.

I just do the work. Whatever weird fiverr hoops I have to jump through. I do those things without thinking too much. If it was easier for me to get clients and employ myself without fiverr, I would. It’s not. :woman_shrugging:

separate chats are stupid… wonderful idea behind it, i’m sure. the fact is they’re only really convenient when I deal with a client 1 time so I only have to hop from chat to chat once. After dealing with the same customer over and over, and not having a single place to go where I can review our discussions 💢

I’m just glad someone brought it up, finally! I typically avoid these types of discussions, but this inconvenient “feature” is under-represented in the forum’s complaint distribution.

pretty sure you gotta be TRS, or one suggester among thousands to actually get fiverr’s ear via CS

THIS!!!

Granted, I do find some value in being able to view the chat from a particular order. However, it’s fairly obnoxious that I need to switch back and forth between them. Why not simply mark in the chat dialoug “BLAH BLAH ORDER BEGUN” and similar at the finish. With a hyperlink from the order to that particular section of dialog.

As a seller that routinely works with the same clients repeatedly, I find the current system to make those jobs even HARDER. We discuss most of the details in chat, then the order begins, and three orders later I’m hopping from chat to order to order… just to find some particular detail of what the customer said.

Ultimately, I have no fantasy that fiverr “is listening” or will care if they are.

I just do the work. Whatever weird fiverr hoops I have to jump through. I do those things without thinking too much. If it was easier for me to get clients and employ myself without fiverr, I would. It’s not. :woman_shrugging:

separate chats are stupid… wonderful idea behind it, i’m sure. the fact is they’re only really convenient when I deal with a client 1 time so I only have to hop from chat to chat once. After dealing with the same customer over and over, and not having a single place to go where I can review our discussions 💢

I’m just glad someone brought it up, finally! I typically avoid these types of discussions, but this inconvenient “feature” is under-represented in the forum’s complaint distribution.

pretty sure you gotta be TRS, or one suggester among thousands to actually get fiverr’s ear via CS

Why not simply mark in the chat dialoug “BLAH BLAH ORDER BEGUN” and similar at the finish. With a hyperlink from the order to that particular section of dialog.

Because then they couldn’t say things like “increase the font size to x” or “reposition this to here” when they’re not talking about the most recent order. If I have 5 orders active from the same buyer I’d prefer the notes about them to be on the order page for that order, that way I don’t have to go searching through messages - I’d only need to look through the messages on that order hopefully.

Guest offlinehelpers

THIS!!!

to actually get fiverr’s ear via CS

The OP appears to be a buyer only - perhaps more leverage if the suggestion comes from a buyer’s point of view? 🙂

Why not simply mark in the chat dialoug “BLAH BLAH ORDER BEGUN” and similar at the finish. With a hyperlink from the order to that particular section of dialog.

Because then they couldn’t say things like “increase the font size to x” or “reposition this to here” when they’re not talking about the most recent order. If I have 5 orders active from the same buyer I’d prefer the notes about them to be on the order page for that order, that way I don’t have to go searching through messages - I’d only need to look through the messages on that order hopefully.

oh man… it sounds like you have way more orderly interactions with customers than I do. I try to learn every detail possible about the order before it’s even placed. So the bulk of my instructions are in the main chat, and little details as well as discussions about the next order are in the order chat.

I think there is a way to make it so chat for a particular order is both in that order, and in my messages! So everyone can get the most value.

The OP appears to be a buyer only - perhaps more leverage if the suggestion comes from a buyer’s point of view? 🙂

Well, sharp eye, there @offlinehelpers! (do you have another shorter name you use in this forum?)

I didn’t sleep last night cause of deadlines, and irl obligations… I was just reacting to something that I’ve often wondered about, and a customer even brought it up to me last night about how it didn’t make sense to him… Once someone complained here in the forum, it was very easy for me to jump on the bandwagon and actually get “mad” about it 🙃

I’m a buyer, and in my day job quite familiar with UX. Everyone, including sellers, will benefit from a simpler, consistent, coherent chat system. I’ve sent tickets to Fiverr in the past, to no avail. Can only hope Fiverr improves their messaging system. It’s inefficient at the moment for all participants and on all devices.

I’m a buyer, and in my day job quite familiar with UX. Everyone, including sellers, will benefit from a simpler, consistent, coherent chat system. I’ve sent tickets to Fiverr in the past, to no avail. Can only hope Fiverr improves their messaging system. It’s inefficient at the moment for all participants and on all devices.

Can only hope Fiverr improves their messaging system. It’s inefficient at the moment for all participants and on all devices.

Hyperbole… perhaps. But, YES!

I would love to hear from other buyers\sellers what they think about the current messaging system.

• 9 months later...

Can only hope Fiverr improves their messaging system. It’s inefficient at the moment for all participants and on all devices.

Hyperbole… perhaps. But, YES!

I would love to hear from other buyers\sellers what they think about the current messaging system.

It wasn’t hyperbole at all. It’s many years since I started Fiverr, and it’s still confusing the three places where messages are. Silly UX choice for an otherwise useful service.

Archived