Fiverr Forum

Clarification on Seller Copyright

Hello,

I’d like to request clarification of this sellers term:

“Buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work, unless otherwise specified by the seller on their Gig page. Note: some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for Commercial Use License. See our “Ownership” and “Commercial Use License” sections below for more information.”

If a seller writes consulting content for a buyer (assisting them in some sort of business challenge, not intended for publishing) does that seller transfer intellectual property rights, publishing rights, or copyright to the buyer? Is it possible to offer work for the use of buyers, but with the seller still maintaining copyright over the actual written work?

Or, if a seller writes and sells a book, a buyer of the book learn from the content, but cannot publish it, present the work as his own, or create a business teaching the work without permission of the author. Is Fiverr more like this?

For example, the terms don’t seem to permit Fiverr business as publicized here:

I think it’s nuts. Once the buyer agrees that the work is completed, all rights should transfer to them. I can’t see how charging for commercial use as an extra is justified.