Cleaning Up the Fiverr Marketplace

I write this because I genuinely believe Fiverr is owned & operated by its community members. Sure, we may not have shares in the company or keys to the office per-say, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have a tremendous stake in its success & longevity. As sellers, when Fiverr succeeds, we succeed. More members means more orders. Happier buyers and beneficial gigs creates a more active, vibrant marketplace overall. I’ve been a Top Seller for a couple years now and still going strong. I’ve watched the website grow from infancy and couldn’t be happier with what it has become today. With that said, it’s time to think long-term. My hope is that when a first-time Fiverr members buys one of my gigs, they walk away empowered & excited to purchase more from my fellow sellers. This is what we call traction–Ensuring the best possible chances of a positive experience for every new member.

Back in the day, I hosted my fair share of gigs promising Facebook likes, Twitter followers, etc. And, to my defense, back then it was more of a reality. Today, all the major social networks and review sites have cracked down on these sketchy behaviors to ensure THEIR longevity. Fiverr, as a community, should do the same. Sellers must focus less on the quick buck and more on contributing real, measurable value to this incredible marketplace. Specifically, I’m referring to deliverables that can be used to empower start-ups, individuals & small businesses such as graphics, logos, business cards, slogans, jingles, etc. Tangible value.

Fiverr’s algorithm does a wonderful job of deleting unpopular gigs and banning problem sellers. However, as legitimate members of this website, we should hold even higher standards for own own work. Gone should be the frivolous gigs with BS results. This resource has gone from being a casual hobby of mine to legitimate steady income that significantly factors into my annual income. Again, I write this letter in an effort to keep Fiverr around for years (or perhaps decades) to come.

This is well written and I applaud you. You points are taken and put together well. You have watched Fiverr evolve and can see where it is going and maybe where it needs to be.

Over the past year I have watched my family tree gig blossom and evolve from just a half hazard entity to and honest service that I offer to US families. I realized that in today’s market and economy people cannot just go out and hire a genealogist ($250hr) nor do they want to hire one for basic research but they don’t know how to start their own research. My product is quality and quantity for a price the Average Joe family can afford. I give them a piece of their history that will last for generations. Even if they print the chart off and stick it in a Bible or file somewhere, someday they may pull it back out or their kids might find it and it will spark the genealogy bug in them.

I definitely see what you mean, and I agree. You see so many of them- especially the successful ones! Whilst some are honest, others are fake and use programs to create false profiles which ‘like’ certain things. But, what’s the use of that? I fail to see how anyone would even feel accomplished or successful after that … well, it’s cheating, isn’t it? When it’s real followers, sure- promote all you want, earn money from promotion and show your ideas to real people! When Bots are being used, it’s just useless and a little ridiculous.

@boslass - Purchased Likes on a page have a few benefits. From securing your own custom URL, to bringing your page higher up in the search results. It also helps generate ‘Real’ likes because let’s face it. When you go onto a page, are you likely to read and like a page with 4 members or 100. Nobody likes to be the first one to a party.

@sucantare - You are contributing to the general BAD stigma attached to Social site gigs. I’m sorry to say sir that a few bad apples do not speak for an entire field. I for one provide Facebook services and I also tend to think my service has helped 1000’s of pages get off the ground and thrive. I do not use ‘Bots’, and I’m not the only one who doesn’t. But even if I did use bots, read the benefits even ‘Bots’ have by looking at the first paragraph of this post. The only drawback of ‘Bots’ really is that they eventually vanish as Facebook closes the fake accounts. Anyhow, back to my point. I take pride in the service I provide. I work very hard to provide a ‘Good’ service that is worth 5 bucks. I am not the only one out there that actually does a good job.

And, finally. Yes. There are scammers out there who provide the service but there are scammers in every field. Don’t let the few speak for everybody. Buyer beware. Look at a gigs rating and feedback. Ask a question. You follow those rules and you’ll almost always end up a happy client.

Reply to @bigbadbilly: I should clarify, regardless of the nature of your gig, I think we can all agree that avoiding negative buyers’ experiences is the key to Fiverr’s overall success.

Yes. That is very true. As you said, the more happy the experience the more everyone benefits.