Commercial Rights? Do clients need them for promoting their business?

john4_c

I recently sold a gig to a client of mine. The script was promoting their business, a furniture factory. When I told him the cost of the gig, with Commercial Rights included, he told me that he didn’t need the Commercial Rights.

I just wanted to make sure and find out as to whether or not it’s necessary to have Commercial Rights for promoting one’s business. Is it only dependent on what platform they use the voice over?

@silveni

No, I know how to do that. I’m asking, is it required for the buyer if their script is promoting a business?

@john4_c

No, I know how to do that.

Please share me how? I mean did it just came out from Fiverr?

I’m asking, is it required for the buyer if their script is promoting a business?

Well yes ofc I guess, maybe and not sure,

(maybe any seniors here on Fiverr can explain it well).

That all I know is every time the order completed on Fiverr, all the rights (Including for commercial use) will be moved to the buyer.

Please also correct me if I’m wrong.

Okay, I’m quoting the whole of the section in the TOS on this topic, because I’m not quite sure what you’re asking, but I’m pretty sure it’s answered here.

(Fair warning, it’s pretty long.)

TOS: section - Ownership

Ownership and limitations: When purchasing a Gig on Fiverr, unless clearly stated otherwise on the Seller’s Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the Buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyrights for the work delivered from the Seller, and the Seller waives any and all moral rights therein. The delivered work shall be considered work-for-hire under the U.S. Copyright Act. In the event the delivered work does not meet the requirements of work-for-hire or when US Copyright Act does not apply, the Seller expressly agrees to assign to Buyer the copyright in the delivered work. All transfer and assignment of intellectual property to Buyer shall be subject to full payment for the Gig and the delivery may not be used if payment is cancelled for any reason. For removal of doubt, in custom created work (such as art work, design work, report generation etc.), the delivered work shall be the exclusive property of Buyer, and Seller assigns all rights, title and interest in the delivered work. Some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for a Commercial Use License. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights you require for such use, and will not need the Commercial Use License. If you intend to use it for any charge or other consideration, or for any purpose that is directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit, you will need to buy the Commercial Use License through a Gig Extra and will have broader rights that cover your business use.

For Voice Over Gigs, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the Buyer is purchasing basic rights, (which means the Buyer is paying a one time fee allowing them to use the work forever and for any purpose except for commercials, radio, television and internet commercial spots). If you intend to use the Voice Over to promote a product and/or service (with the exception of paid marketing channels), you will need to purchase the Commercial Rights (Buy-Out) through Gig Extra. If you intend to use the Voice Over in radio, television and internet commercials, you will need to purchase the Full Broadcast Rights (Buy-Out) through Gig Extra. For further information on the type of buy-outs, please read below.

Sellers further confirm that whatever information they receive from the Buyer, which is not public domain, shall be kept confidential and shall not be shared or used for any purpose whatsoever other than for the delivery of the ordered work to the Buyer.

Furthermore, users (both Buyers and Sellers) agree that unless they explicitly indicate otherwise, the content users voluntarily create/upload to Fiverr, including Gig texts, photos, videos, usernames, user photos, user videos and any other information, including the display of delivered work, may be used by Fiverr for no consideration for marketing and/or other purposes.

Archived