Fiverr Community Forum

Common pratice for a buyer to ask for personal informations?

Hello everyone,

I’m a music cover seller, new on fiverr, but have already done some gigs. I have currently a buyer asking for personnal informations. The buyer told me that

In order to clear the mechanical licenses of the files I will give them, they will give me a few simple clearance modules to sign.

In order to compile this modules, they need a few anagraphic data :

• name
  • surname
  • date of birth
  • place of birth
  • fiscal code

Is this a common thing to do ? I am reluctant to give any personnal informations, even my name but as I am new, I don’t know how those things work. Is it legit ?

It’s against terms of service, don’t do it.

I still have an issue, they asked me those informations after beginning the order, do I still go through with it ?

1 Like

Tell them it’s against terms of service to share personal information.

Absolutely not. Do not give anyone this info, certainly not a random stranger/client. Fiscal code is a personal identification number - this person may be trying to steal your identity/info to gain access to your bank account, or any other array of personal things. You should report them immediately, this is a scam.

3 Likes

If you are worried about getting a 1 star review or bad cancellation statistic on your order, you can always complete the order without including any of the personal details they asked for. As long as you delivered correctly fiverr should take your side if there are any disputes - but do NOT give them your personal info. To be honest it would be best to just cancel but I can definitely understand the reluctance when you don’t want your statistics to be negatively impacted

3 Likes

That doesn’t help with the 1 star review though. If the client wants revenge, they’ll get revenge.

Hey thanks for your reply ! So I do not give any informations including name and surname ? 'cause on the fiverr rules, it is not very clear …

1 Like

Do not give any personal info at all. If you want to give first name, that shouldn’t put you in any danger, but considering he’s definitely trying to scam you, I wouldn’t give any personal details at all.
I have given my first and last name before because I am a voice actress, so sometimes people want to include me in the credits of their game/video/etc, but unless there is a distinct and clear purpose then avoid it.

1 Like

1 star reviews can be disputed if the reason is because “they didn’t give me their SSN!”, haha. It’s not super common that fiverr allows reviews to be modified but given the context here, they might. And if the seller DOES deliver everything else perfectly, they might not even bother leaving a 1 star review, if the actual work is good (even if they did have ulterior motives)

I would never risk it. They ban people left and right just for mentioning the word review, and the buyer (if he’s not stupid) will never give that reason, they will just make something up. Not worth the risk.

If your gig or service related then you can ask

I’m a little confused - OP can go directly to CS if they’ve been given a 1 star review for a bogus reason. People don’t get banned for asking CS about it, just if they try to talk to the BUYER about reviews. As I’ve said already, it would absolutely be better to cancel the order, but as a new seller I can also understand that doing so can be very difficult due to the stat hit, so I listed the various options OP can take. Cancel, or just deliver however best you can.

People have been given strikes for talking to CS. Unbelievable, I know. It happens. Not likely, but getting a review removed is not likely either. The most likely outcome is just wasting your time talking to CS.

I told him to first delivered and discuss the legally things afterwards, he told me that he needed those informations to be sure that if they get lucky on spotify and youtube, as it is my voice, I will not ask for any more money or dualties etc… I definitely don’t want to give any informations, but I don’t know anything about that kind of contracts x)

He doesn’t need any of that.

Neither my name, and surname ?

No. Nothing. No personal information needed. At all.

Okay, I’ll keep that in mind thank you !!

Regarding the rights, the TOS has this to say:

When purchasing a Gig, Buyers are granted all rights for the delivered work, unless otherwise specified by the Seller on their Gig page. Note: some Gigs charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for Commercial Use License.

and also this section:

Ownership

Ownership and limitations: When purchasing a Gig on Fiverr, unless clearly stated otherwise on the Seller’s Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the Buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyrights for the work delivered from the Seller, and the Seller waives any and all moral rights therein. The delivered work shall be considered work-for-hire under the U.S. Copyright Act. In the event the delivered work does not meet the requirements of work-for-hire or when US Copyright Act does not apply, the Seller expressly agrees to assign to Buyer the copyright in the delivered work. All transfer and assignment of intellectual property to Buyer shall be subject to full payment for the Gig and the delivery may not be used if payment is cancelled for any reason. For removal of doubt, in custom created work (such as art work, design work, report generation etc.), the delivered work shall be the exclusive property of Buyer, and Seller assigns all rights, title and interest in the delivered work. Some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for a Commercial Use License. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights you require for such use, and will not need the Commercial Use License. If you intend to use it for any charge or other consideration, or for any purpose that is directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit, you will need to buy the Commercial Use License through a Gig Extra and will have broader rights that cover your business use.

Long story short, tell them no, direct them to the Terms of Service if they get sassy.

4 Likes