Concerns about getting started

duckhunterzx

I am 17 and I want to get started in freelancing. For me it doesn’t matter at this point how much I earn (i won’t work for free tho), i just want to get my feet on the ground and start building confidence.

My skills revolve around video compositing (i can edit, key, rotoscope, create 2d motion graphics, do some basic 3d and vfx, color grading and a couple of other things), but I know my way around photoshop and similar apps (i am not a designer by any means).

However I got into that by editing video games, in which field I have developed some remarkable skills and got introduced to various concepts used in real projects, but I am not comfortable that I can fully apply. So what I would like to do is get practice in real projects with relatively low pressure so I can adapt before I move on to more serious work.

Fiverr and generally the freelancing community is generally a very competitive one and I’ve heard stories of people not getting a single job for 6 months. All I want to do right now is work, I do not care about the platform, could anyone help me with that?

Hey there, welcome to the community! You sound really talented 🙂

I’m a college student, so we’re probably coming from a similar place in terms of job experience and everything. Hopefully it’ll help to know that you can definitely get started on here even at a young age.

When I first started, I was very nervous about my skill set, and that people would doubt me for my age. I didn’t have the resources to market elsewhere, so I just decided to do everything within the platform. So I charged fairly low and applied to a ton of buyers requests (which is a section that will be your friend as a new seller) every day. Surprisingly enough, I managed to get my first two orders after five days.

Definitely apply to buyers requests, and when you’re applying remember to talk about not just your skill set, but to address how that might coincide with what the client needs and what you can offer them that’s unique. Since you already have work experience in your field, that shouldn’t be too difficult for you 🙂

Hey there, welcome to the community! You sound really talented 🙂

I’m a college student, so we’re probably coming from a similar place in terms of job experience and everything. Hopefully it’ll help to know that you can definitely get started on here even at a young age.

When I first started, I was very nervous about my skill set, and that people would doubt me for my age. I didn’t have the resources to market elsewhere, so I just decided to do everything within the platform. So I charged fairly low and applied to a ton of buyers requests (which is a section that will be your friend as a new seller) every day. Surprisingly enough, I managed to get my first two orders after five days.

Definitely apply to buyers requests, and when you’re applying remember to talk about not just your skill set, but to address how that might coincide with what the client needs and what you can offer them that’s unique. Since you already have work experience in your field, that shouldn’t be too difficult for you 🙂

Thank you for your kind words. I am not sure how I can make my skills sound more appealing from someone else who can do pretty much the same but has more experience than me. Also video game editing was my hobby, I haven’t really had experience with actual jobs. How do I access the buyers requests?

Thank you for your kind words. I am not sure how I can make my skills sound more appealing from someone else who can do pretty much the same but has more experience than me. Also video game editing was my hobby, I haven’t really had experience with actual jobs. How do I access the buyers requests?

Click the selling tab and you should be able to find buyers requests on the drop down menu.

Honestly, I haven’t worked as a writer either, but don’t let that stop you. Put up some snazzy samples of your work in your gig and explain that you’ve worked on similar projects before. The great thing about Fiverr is that people won’t ask for detailed references or anything; even if you weren’t officially employed, that still counts as experience the same way a job would. Don’t worry about not being actually employed yet!

Click the selling tab and you should be able to find buyers requests on the drop down menu.

Honestly, I haven’t worked as a writer either, but don’t let that stop you. Put up some snazzy samples of your work in your gig and explain that you’ve worked on similar projects before. The great thing about Fiverr is that people won’t ask for detailed references or anything; even if you weren’t officially employed, that still counts as experience the same way a job would. Don’t worry about not being actually employed yet!

Create some gigs first, or this won’t work. 🙂

Archived