Contact Me First BEFORE ordering... this means you

I, unfortunately, have to do a lot of mutual cancellations. Why? Because buyers can’t fathom a simple concept - contact me first before ordering.

I’ve made it BOLD and highlighted in yellow at the top and bottom of the gig description. I’ve repeated it several more times in the text of the description. I’ve made it absolutely clear there are NO exceptions. Yet… people still persist and often say something along the lines of "I didn’t think you meant me."

Anyone else have this issue? Who thinks it’s a good idea for Fiverr to somehow take this into account when analyzing your cancellation/ success ratio?

This is a touchy subject. But I always say, and will maintain forever that writing to contact you before ordering does NOT work. This is all category dependent by the way.

You can write it all you want. Highlight it. CAPS it. It doesn’t matter.

There are reasons for this.

The main reason is that a lot of people (A LOT) don’t read the Gig description. They ONLY read the title then order.

There is also the language barrier.

I can never stress enough that needing people to contact you before ordering never works.

You need… need… NEED to make your gig clear in your title. NOT in your description.

I always recommend saving the description for the gig extras. Obviously you put your base in the description as well but remember. About 40% of people only read the title.

The ratio of people only reading the title is about 80% if the buyer’s native language is not English. They read the first few words they can understand… in the title. LOL

Again. This all depends on your category.

If you could fit “Contact before ordering” in your title… do it! lol

My cancellation ratio is 3%. Mostly from repeat clients who order again. (I can’t do more than 2 gigs). And… It’s funny… Because I post that I can’t do more than 2 gigs in the description. Ha ha. :slight_smile:

I don’t understand how you can just click “Order now” when all you have seen is the title of the gig. I buy and sell on Fiverr and see things from both sides.

Imagine an ad saying “Honda Civic” for sale and first you hand over your cash and THEN you ask to arrange to see the car, check out the details, get to know the seller, etc. Cray-Zay! :frowning:

im thinking about creating a new gig " show you how to read ".

Cuz this happens to me all the time. They just place an order and then ask 1000 questions.

@cheezees - I personally don’t understand it either. But… that’s the way it is.

I think a lot of the people who don’t read the description are not native English speakers. So, they manage to make out the title and don’t bother to try and figure out the rest. But I’ve also had orders from brand new people before. As in brand new to Fiverr. And from what I can tell, they don’t always understand the workings and read the title, click on it and just click on the order button (Which is at the top). Who knows. It’s an old problem and no matter what we all say or do… some people just don’t read the descriptions.

Oh… And I want to add this in here…

Posting in the forums don’t really help either because there are only about 100 active members of the forum from what I can tell. Basically, 99.9% of Fiverr customers don’t ever go to the forum. Most don’t even know it exists until they are on Fiverr for a long while. That’s why I get a laugh sometimes out of the “Tips for Buyers” topics. Because the bulk of Fiverr buyers have never even heard of the Forum. LOL

I think part of the problem may be that some buyers, particularly brand new Fiverr users, don’t realize that sellers provide specific services. It seems like they think that Fiverr is a place where any seller will do anything. At least, that’s how it seems based on some of the random orders I’ve gotten and then had to cancel. For example, I’ve had orders with instructions to write a script, record a video, take photos – all kinds of things. But none of that had anything to do with my gig. It makes me wonder if people sign up then just start clicking, thinking that all sellers can provide whatever they need.