Fiverr Forum

Copyright assignment form

I had a buyer message me for a custom song gig and one of the requests was that I sign a copyright assignment form, essentially transferring all rights to them legally. This is the first time this question has come up for me and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered it.

Is it something to be wary of or just a formality? I’d love to hear people’s thoughts, thanks!

Anna

~Annasongs~

I’m no expert, @arnevb and @madmoo, but it seems unlikely that anything like that I sign could overrule Fiverr’s TOS. They clearly have access to our published works.

It’s really up to you, although you could maybe at least include a clause that allows you to at least show it off in your portfolio, maybe…? :slight_smile: I mean, it isn’t too much to ask in return for $5.

That’s what I thought, @madmoo. Though I guess there’s always a possibility that your Fiverr song could be used for a multi-million dollar ad campaign and you’re out of luck ;). I’m always just grateful to have a chance to create something unique for a little money.

Thanks for responding!

Reply to @madmoo: I believe you’re right. And if bands like Radiohead can give their music away for free, I don’t know that me worrying about someone exploiting the system is useful. :slight_smile:

Reply to @oldbittygrandma: Well said. Really, life is too short to worry about such.

Reply to @arnevb: Thank you! I was looking for Fiverr’s official stance on this. :slight_smile:

Reply to @itsamellama: Thanks, that’s a good idea!

IF one feels the need to make it clear who “owns” the copyright or rights to a product or service then it needs to be stated either from the buyer or seller, if nothing is stated then it is a free for all. when I was a photographer I always had the “model” sign a release form which mean I owned the rights to do whatever I wanted with the photo. On my spotlight gig post I submitted a photo to seller to edit. That photo is 5 yrs old but I still own the rights to it and have the release (somewhere). So my question is for that photo since it was posted on fiverr and they have their TOS, who controls the rights to it?

I’m no expert, @arnevb and @madmoo, but it seems unlikely that anything like that I sign could overrule Fiverr’s TOS. They clearly have access to our published works.

It’s really up to you, although you could maybe at least include a clause that allows you to at least show it off in your portfolio, maybe…? :slight_smile: I mean, it isn’t too much to ask in return for $5.

That’s what I thought, @madmoo. Though I guess there’s always a possibility that your Fiverr song could be used for a multi-million dollar ad campaign and you’re out of luck ;). I’m always just grateful to have a chance to create something unique for a little money.

Thanks for responding!

Reply to @madmoo: I believe you’re right. And if bands like Radiohead can give their music away for free, I don’t know that me worrying about someone exploiting the system is useful. :slight_smile:

Reply to @oldbittygrandma: Well said. Really, life is too short to worry about such.

Reply to @arnevb: Thank you! I was looking for Fiverr’s official stance on this. :slight_smile:

Reply to @itsamellama: Thanks, that’s a good idea!

IF one feels the need to make it clear who “owns” the copyright or rights to a product or service then it needs to be stated either from the buyer or seller, if nothing is stated then it is a free for all. when I was a photographer I always had the “model” sign a release form which mean I owned the rights to do whatever I wanted with the photo. On my spotlight gig post I submitted a photo to seller to edit. That photo is 5 yrs old but I still own the rights to it and have the release (somewhere). So my question is for that photo since it was posted on fiverr and they have their TOS, who controls the rights to it?

Thanks for responding!