Copyright for 3D modeling character

sapism05

Hi everyone 🙂

I have a gig for making a 3D model for 3D print based on client design (2D images), lately one of my clients ask me for “license release form”. From the previous conversation, I thought what he means is license form for commercial use, and I already tick that option on the custom offer that I sent him.

Also from Term of Services, it stated that
"Ownership and limitations: Unless clearly stated otherwise on the sellers Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyrights for the work delivered from the seller, and the seller waives any and all moral rights therein."

(1) So I say since the design is from himself, the copyright is already his, and I don’t need to release some kind of license form, am I right?

(2) But later my friend told me, a 2D images and a 3D file have different quality and different uses, so I may have the copyright for the 3D file, is that reasonable? I need more information about this

(3) Just yesterday, someone contacts me and ask me to make a 3D model from a character that he doesn’t have the copyright. And he wants to make it for commercial use, what should I do?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English

(3) Just yesterday, someone contacts me and ask me to make a 3D model from a character that he doesn’t have the copyright. And he wants to make it for commercial use, what should I do?

Tell the buyer that you can’t due to copyright law.

Thank you, my thought exactly 🙂

Archived