Fiverr Forum

Copyright Images

Hi all,

I contacted a few sellers with requirements for a job I needed doing and got responses from a few of them. One of the major requirements was that the image be professional as this was something going into print. Woke up to find the seller had delivered the work and there were 2 problems with it.

1. It turned out he had used a few images on the work, but they were all simply lifted from other websites without consent. I contacted the seller and asked where the images were from, to get the response that he found them on Google Images and “it’s fine, everyone does it”. When I disputed this and said I didn’t see how I could trust him to provide something I could legally use, he called me a scam buyer.

2. He used an image on a professional company flyer of a girl wearing a Hooters t-shirt, ripped directly from the Hooters website. I realise he may not realise what that company was, but this image just didn’t even fit in any way with the company or design in question.

Is it really that common for people to just lift images from anywhere on the internet to use on work they provide here? There are so many royalty free/free image sites I just find it hard to believe he couldn’t find something there instead. Had he sent me a link to an image and asked me to purchase it I would have been happy with that, then at least I know printing this isn’t going to get me into legal trouble for using images without consent.

wullie10101 said: It turned out he had used a few images on the work, but they were all simply lifted from other websites without consent. I contacted the seller and asked where the images were from, to get the response that he found them on Google Images and "it's fine, everyone does it". When I disputed this and said I didn't see how I could trust him to provide something I could legally use, he called me a scam buyer.

There are sellers are Fiverr that do this as a matter of course and Fiverr doesn't always catch them at first. That doesn't make it right or legal and it sure doesn't make you a scam buyer.
wullie10101 said: Is it really that common for people to just lift images from anywhere on the internet to use on work they provide here? There are so many royalty free/free image sites I just find it hard to believe he couldn't find something there instead.

Yes, it is that common which makes it even harder to shut those gigs down since there are millions of gigs on the site. It's a cheap place to start with your needs and that is what makes Fiverr awesome, but it's a good idea to use discretion. Contact the seller before buying and specify that you need royalty-free images with a secondary option to contact you about the purchase of images. That way if they try to accuse you of being a scam buyer or not paying for what you bought, you have the proof that you asked for legally free and clear work.

You can weed through a lot of these through that first inbox conversation before you even order. Make sure the seller is even active. Make sure they promise to give you work that is legal to use in your country. Make sure they can correspond with you well enough to understand that. If they can't do those things, move on to another seller to shorten your wait and have a better chance at legal work. In the meantime, Fiverr can get you things that would cost you a great deal more elsewhere but you'll have to do some of your own legwork.

wullie10101 said: Is it really that common for people to just lift images from anywhere on the internet to use on work they provide here?

Absolutely common. And not just here. In fact, it's also common for buyers to provide stolen images to work from or to ask specifically for a rip-off.

It's illegal, immoral and a huge pain. You only have two options: Work with genuine professionals off of Fiverr and pay significantly more. Or due extensive research before and after ordering to ensure that whatever work you will, or have ordered, is suitable and legal for your use. The latter option may negate any cost-saving from using Fiverr in the first place, depending on how you value your time.

I wish you the best of luck.

Oh gosh! This doesn’t come as a surprise now after seeing all the stolen logos.

Really positive to see a buyer as @wullie10101 aware of image rights costs and didn’t expect the seller to search and buy the picture themselves as included in the $5. Still he got a bad experience. The graphic design category is riddled with thieves and lack of common sense it seems. Shame.

I wouldn’t be surprise if there isn’t already more than a handful of buyers out there getting in legal trouble because of stolen images and graphics.