Could use some help with this copyright question

martinbartolo

I have received an order asking me to recreate old cartoon logos to make a logo for a band by changing the logo text.

Is it against copyright laws to include Logos and Characters from old cartoons and, if so, what is the best way around this?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

I am not a logo designer, but I would check with customer service or look for images that are under license for reuse. You could always suggest they purchase the Getty image extra too and use images from that.

Sounds dicey, and you want to be careful not to infringe on copyrighted material. Good for you for asking.

I am not a logo designer, but I would check with customer service or look for images that are under license for reuse. You could always suggest they purchase the Getty image extra too and use images from that.

Sounds dicey, and you want to be careful not to infringe on copyrighted material. Good for you for asking.

Thanks for your help I asked Fiverr Customer Support about it 🙂

In the states in the U.S it is illegal to do so. There is a statue of limitation where the cartoon becomes stale and can be used for commercial use but it has to be a real old cartoon where the copyrights are no longer active. Just google it and the info will show up. Now if you are to create a logo/brand you will run into trouble if the owner or copyright holder ever finds out. The show Mad Men had to pay $$$$ for the model they used in the intro theme without permission. The best way around it is to design it and if someone claims copyright, just say the image was just a draft, but at that point it will have to be destroyed and you as the designer will have to pay a fine in court. Expensive one.

Archived