Fiverr Forum

‘Country Flag’ matters in order to gain buyers attention & trust?

Hello,

I would like to know that Country Flag really matters to gain buyers attention & trust? I mean people from European Countries make more sales than people from Asian Countries? For instance, if a seller belongs to a country which does not have the good economic condition and there are some terrorist activities in it and many more aspects like this etc. so what would be the impact on a buyer when he would see the seller’s flag? Will he place the order based on the skills of what that seller is offering? Or he will hesitate to place the order knowing seller’s country reputation and other aspects which I’ve explained above?

He (buyer) wants to place the order but he is not sure whether this guys (seller) is trusted / legitimate or not? Just because of the country flag which is being shown in buyer’s profile insist him (buyer) not to give order to the seller. Is that true or not? He may have think like it or not?

This may sound a weird little bit but it just came in my mind right now. What do you think of it? I would like to know your opinions on it.

Regards

I will write few things on this topic:

1. What you say is true - the clients are subconsciously driven to chose a seller which has a flag from a “popular” (in this case - credible) country: USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, etc.

2. Fiverr never solved this very important issue - for an example: All you need to do in order to have an American flag on your profile is to - register via an American IP address, simple as that. After that it doesn’t matter from where you’ll be logging in. Sellers abuse this in order to trick people and Fiverr allows such behavior. As if they don’t understand that those people who realized what’s going on - they won’t only have a bad opinion for the particular seller, but Fiverr’s credibility is at stake here. If you ask me, the flags and the names of the country (of “origin”) should be removed.

3. What makes me laugh is the fact that most of these “Americans” or “British” have gigs which description is written in a quite terrible English language. And it’s obvious right away who is who here and from where. It’s one thing to actually know how to write in English and perhaps only then decide to fake your country of origin, but without that knowledge - I honestly don’t see those seller’s point, a small child will reveal them.

4. It is my opinion that the most important thing for the potential clients are the gig’s reviews i.e. the ratio of positive/negative ratings and the number of positive reviews itself. Of course, in certain niches the age of the gig is also very important, for an example: I offer likes for websites and my gig was created 14 months ago. I have 567 positive ratings and 1 negative. What does that tell you about me and my service ? Would you care if I’m from USA or Malaysia or India or (in this case) Macedonia ? As a matter of fact, some people do avoid the 3rd-worlds countries (and the 2nd-world too), each one of them from his own reasons (bad news about the country, bad experience with a seller from the same country, racism, etc)

5. As you may already checked my profile, I come from the Republic of Macedonia. Do you even know where that is ? I’m sure most of my clients didn’t know too, but just check the stats on my gig which I mentioned - there’s no other gig in the particular niche which has more ratings than my gig (the gigs which offer likes for Facebook Pages does not belong in this niche). And that gig is owned by a person from a very small, not-much-heard-of, 2.1M-citizen country with an eye-catchy flag :slight_smile:

So, dear arthur_1, keep you Pakistani flag on your profile and if you offer a truly quality service - the orders will start rolling very soon. If by any chance you don’t receive the expected amount of orders - it’s not because of the flag, but because of the competition. After all, some gigs require promotion, you can’t just create the gig and leave it among the hundreds, if not thousands alike.

Sometimes it has to do with the fact that most buyers prefer sellers from their country (just my observation though). For example, 80% of my clients are from the US.

@arthur_1 I have seen many sellers from Pakistan (aaliyan for example, in the programming niche) with tons of +ve ratings. Offer quality services and deliver on time, you can get there too.

Hello elgerente,

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. I will quote something on it.

elgerente said: Fiverr never solved this very important issue - for an example: All you need to do in order to have an American flag on your profile is to - register via an American IP address, simple as that. After that it doesn't matter from where you'll be logging in.Sellers abuse this in order to trick people and Fiverr allows such behavior. As if they don't understand that those people who realized what's going on - they won't only have a bad opinion for the particular seller, but Fiverr's credibility is at stake here. If you ask me, the flags and the names of the country (of "origin") should be removed.

I was thinking the same after creation of my account. I have paid VPN services and i can create new account under popular country flag but that does not matter now.

elgerente said: 3. What makes me laugh is the fact that most of these "Americans" or "British" have gigs which description is written in a quite terrible English language. And it's obvious right away who is who here and from where

Exactly, I noticed the same thing and I was really shocked to see that what is going on here. I mean English is their mother tongue for those flags and what the heck they are doing.

elgerente said: I offer likes for websites and my gig was created 14 months ago. I have 567 positive ratings and 1 negative. What does that tell you about me and my service ? Would you care if I'm from USA or Malaysia or India or (in this case) Macedonia ? As a matter of fact, some people do avoid the 3rd-worlds countries (and the 2nd-world too), each one of them from his own reasons (bad news about the country, bad experience with a seller from the same country, racism, etc)

No, in that scenario - I don't give a damn to that flag thing rather choose you BASED on the services and the positive ratings / response and I agreed on what you said about 2nd world and 3rd world countries.

elgerente said: As you may already checked my profile, I come from the Republic of Macedonia. Do you even know where that is ? I'm sure most of my clients didn't know too, but just check the stats on my gig which I mentioned - there's no other gig in the particular niche which has more ratings than my gig (the gigs which offer likes for Facebook Pages does not belong in this niche). And that gig is owned by a person from a very small, not-much-heard-of, 2.1M-citizen country with an eye-catchy flag

Yes, I don't know where it is but it is kinda clear to me now that "Country Flag" thing does not matter a lot IF you are offering such a great services. In your case, I have seen it. It is about the competition and the services. Very amazing work you are doing here. I checked your both gigs and these are great.

elgerente said: So, dear arthur_1, keep you Pakistani flag on your profile and if you offer a truly quality service - the orders will start rolling very soon. If by any chance you don't receive the expected amount of orders - it's not because of the flag, but because of the competition. After all, some gigs require promotion, you can't just create the gig and leave it among the hundreds, if not thousands alike.

Yes elgerente, I will keep my Pakistani Flag. I checked here and found only few Pakistani people who are in Level 2 but with limited gigs / offers and this gave me also a SHOCK that NO one from Pakistan is titled as "Top Rated Seller". At least there should be one of them but unfortunately there is no one (Maybe, I am wrong but i don't find any top rated seller from Pakistani Flag). And it is also very sad to see the work / services offering by Pakistani people are terrible. I mean the language, the work, the presentation and the way they created gigs are horrible to see.

The bottom line is, I want to keep my country flag now and I'll provide the good quality services over here and would lighten my country flag / Image so that if one could visit to my gig and check my profile so he doesn't have to hesitate ordering my services. I will try my best to offer quality services here. I'm new here but I believe on "Give me a place to stand and I'll move the earth!"

Lets see what other people talks on it.

Reply to @arthur_1:

And have another thing on your mind: From what I’ve seen so far, sellers who offer things like FB likes, tweets, G+1s and other “non-stable” categories, do not have any chance to become Top Rated Sellers. Maybe I’m wrong, but this is an answer which one of my friends received from the Support Team after he requested to gain a Top Seller status because he had 20-30 orders each day for a long time. Until today, he’s still Level 2. Nevertheless, being a Level 2 is more than satisfactory, trust me.

Just be patient, see how your successful competitors’ gigs look like and never quit, simple as that. Do your best to gain the first 10-20 positive reviews and then your gig will have a good chance to receive more and more orders each passing day.

Good luck !

Hummmm. Thank you man for your guidance and support. I’ll keep in mind. Wish you best of luck. :slight_smile:

I think buyers may be drawn to english speaking countries if they speak english - to ensure good communication / english. I also think buyers pick gigs in which the seller has the same home country as them. For example, I get a few Australian people buying my gigs - because I’m also Australian. Although most of my orders are from the US.

Yeah, you are right. I would also prefer the language which suits my comfort zone (If I’m a buyer).