Crazy 'buyers'

Had a chap message me today asking me to voice a 200-word script.

I wrote back a very clear message saying it would require 8 gigs at 25 words per gig.

He then books a single gig and expects me to deliver a 200-word VO.

When I politely explained his error, he cancels the gig saying he already has offers to read his script ( a radio commercial by the looks) for $5. So why bother me then?

What is it with these absolute time wasters?

He looked to be a new member to Fiverr, I wonder if it would be good to block all newbies, so I only get messages from people with a decent track record…

Arg, seriously. My main problem is people who purchase without even looking at the duration of my gig and then desperate messages about "I need this in two days, when can you deliver!?"

Um…why in the heck would you not first, check and see how long the stated delivery on my gig is and second, ask me before wasting both our time by placing an order?

Or, I have people that message me and say, “Well the person who is writing for me now only needs four days to turnaround content.” Great. Awesome. Why are you looking for someone new if the person you’re already using is so perfect?

I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say that you should avoid all newbies. Sure, it takes a little bit of extra time to get them “up to speed” with the Fiverr interface, but then they’re a client for life.

I hear you.

I’m not sure about block all newbies, but I think it would be a good idea to have the ability as sellers to filter who we get orders from - maybe based on the star rating system?

I’ve had a few clients leave me reviews such as “Amazing gig! Great work… can you remove your Fiverr URL?” for me to then point out the clear gig description that says all flyers have my Fiverr URL on but can be removed with an optional gig extra.

I then usually get a 2 or 3 star review (if a review at all) simply because they didn’t read the gig description - although they state the flyer is “Amazing”.

Had this crazy Lady who had me do over $70 of work for $5 just for a good review, She contacted customer support saying I hadn’t delivered when in counting I had done over 20 revisions of her original designs, Ordered wanting me to do 2 gigs for the Price of one and me being new I just obliged. Eventually I cancelled on her due to the unholy amount of work I had done fixing her mistakes.

My biggest complaint about Newbies, in my opinion is Fiverr’s fault. After they place the order, they are required to provide instructions or Fiverr does not send me the gig to work on. Fiverr makes it seem as if providing these instructions are optional. It is required so it should be very clear to buyers they have to provide these instructions.

I have had buyers order, provide no instructions, I send them a message but no response for days and when they do respond they are upset because I have not started to work on their gig when they first placed the order.

Reply to @steveeyes: This, at the very least, should have some kind of tutorial or walkthrough. Even just some little pop-up notes as they place the order, like there are in the gig edit page. It would seem very relevant to Fiverr’s interests to make sure that their buyers understand how to properly place an order and not just let it float in what I call “limbo,” while individual sellers try to explain why the order hasn’t actually been placed yet.

I’m surprised you’re getting orders at 25 words per $5. I write a lot of radio, and my clients pay me $5 for 30 and 60 spots. One spot per $5. So if I were you I’d raise my word count to 50 per $5. That’s just my opinion.

Reply to @steveeyes: I totally agree! I think starting a gig should be similar to completing a gig

In order to fully complete an order both the buyer and seller have to mark the order as completed.

When placing an order I think the same principle should apply. The buyer places an order, the seller is notified. The seller is then asked to confirm the order before it actually begins. Once the seller confirms that the request contains all the necessary information to complete and that the buyer has purchased an adequate amount of gigs/extras to complete the request then, and only then, is the buyers account charged, the order shows up on the sellers to-do list and the countdown begins. If the information isn’t present or adequate or the buyer hasn’t purchased enough gigs to complete, then the seller responds with a modification request.

I don’t understand why Fiverr doesn’t do something like that. This idea would drastically reduce cancellations. It would completely prevent the seller from having to track down the necessary information to complete and also would make it impossible for a buyer to try an order $50 service for $5. Almost all the major complaints would be solved. Just my opinion.

steveeyes said: Fiverr makes it seem as if providing these instructions are optional.

I agree, this happens all too often. Someone will order and they ignore my entire instructions and supply whatever they want to. Then, when I request the information again, they get upset with me. Some people will even get belligerent and say things like "I supplied all that you need, anyone who's creative enough work with this!"

Instructions aren't optional. I end up politely cancelling. I am not here to waste time and argue with people. These are bad buyers for sure! Be aware of the (marketplace) buyer's policy if they violate these terms by refusing to provide the information you request in order to complete the Gig or harass you during this process - report them!

Try to have some patience. Many of the people that buy here are not from the USA. $5 is a helluva lot more money to them than it is to some of us. But many times buyers don’t understand your instructions. I’m a copywriter, and I sell 100 words per gig. Sometimes someone will ask for something that needs to have a higher wordcount.

When that happens to me after they’ve ordered, I just give them a message saying, “you asked for x, but you only paid for y. So to get what you want, you need to buy x more gigs. If you don’t do that within a couple days, I’ll do what I can with 100 words”. This has always worked for me.

my point is, try not to get too judgemental about the buyers here. 5-10% of them will be creeps, just like in the real world. The rest are like us, trying to get value for the money they have.

John

Reply to @emasonwrites: YES. The amount of ‘When can I have it? I want it now, are you magic because you had better be, now instantly send me ten hours of work.’ that goes on even when we’ve all put our duration indicators up is worth a dramatic face-palm with a little head shaking thrown in.

And the buyers who come along and order, then tell you about how much “OTHER sellers” will do for what you ask… So order it from them instead of me? Because mate, I’m not doing it.

This is another reason I support the implementation of a buyers rating system.

Reply to @thepromogirl @steveeyes :

In addition to 1. On my gig slides, 2. In my gig description, and 3. The Fiverr system asking them to give instructions, a 4th step- putting it in your outgoing message has been really effective for me. It’s alarming that it takes some people 4 full and separate reminders to actually do something in their own favour, but that fourth message seems to work.

I’ve only had one lady not provide them since I put it up and that’s because it was bought as a gift. So if you haven’t set your gig ‘instructions to buyer’ message up as a way to tell the buyers to send you instructions, do it!

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I don’t suffer from a lack of work. And find $5 for 25 words just about keeps my dignity and self-worth intact :slight_smile:

Reply to @johnnewland: I respectfully disagree. This is business and country of origin is not an excuse that works with me personally. I think that regardless of your native tongue, you should be held responsible to read, comprehend and order accordingly. Anyone who lists “English” As their language needs to be held to that standard. You mention that many people who buy here aren’t from the US and that’s true but most of the people on Fiverr have English posted as their language and that is often a lie. There are plenty of countries other than the US that speak English either as a primary language or a very fluent secondary language. Anyone whose profile names English as their first language should speak it fluently and not like “I sorry, I no get what u mean for saying on u gig”. I personally get very irritated when I hear that type of butchery of the English language when the person has English as their profile language.

I don’t care what country some one is from but I expect anyone who orders my gig to have the courtesy and consideration to first read and then abide by my ordering directions.

The major point is that most sellers take their work very seriously and expect their buyers to do the same.

Reply to @popeye1: I’m glad that’s your situation. I like to experiment, at one point I was charging $20 as a gig extra for clients that wanted a domain name to go with their brand name, but not enough people were ordering, so I lowered the price to $5. For me Fiverr is about volume, how many orders you get vs. how much you get per order. Of course, I do love those big $25, $50, and $90 orders, but they’re rare.

Still, I’ve done the math, if I could get 10 orders a day, that would be $1,240 in a 31-day month. Get 20 and you’re making $2,480. And if some truly outstanding guy could get 100 orders a day, that would be a whopping $12,400 monthly income. On the other hand, one has to sleep eventually. :slight_smile: