Creating a gig that works for you

slantlab

Hi there,

My name is Josh and I work here on Fiverr as SlantLab. This discussion is for all those new sellers that are struggling to find a gig that is both fun and profitable. I know it is hard to take the leap. Everyone I have tried to talk to in real life about coming on here and working with me arrives at this universal roadblock; they cannot think of a gig to offer.

I was no better.

It took me a long time to post my first gig. I stressed over it. Thought it was stupid. I figured it wouldn’t make much money… Unfortunately, I was right about the last one, but it wasn’t because the gig was bad, it just wasn’t the gig for me.

I don’t remember the specifics, but I know I over promised, got underpaid, and ultimately under delivered. I took something I enjoy (writing) and distilled it in to a chore that I hated. Not a smart move. My next few gigs were more knock offs of stuff I had seen others doing or vague assemblies of talents that I thought I had. I contemplated just throwing in the towel.

Then I decided to post a video gig. A testimonial (of sorts) for products and the like. Sure, it’s a saturated spot and is dominated by pretty ladies 😉 but did I let that discourage me? Yes at first. And then I just said the hell with it, taped a quick intro, dropped a bit of a Loooong Guyland sizzle in there, and ran it through a black and white filter on the computer.

I got an order within an hour of putting it up!

Before we go any further, this gig had failure written all over it, with one exception.

Reasons to fail:

I have never posted a video of myself online. EVER.

I have not been blessed with devilish good looks.

I’m not comfortable in front of the camera.

I did not know anything about video editing.

I only had an iPod touch camera.

I’m terrible with scripts.

Why it worked:

It is fun and I have fun doing it.

Damn right it is cliche, but it works. I quickly learned that I like to ham it up in front of the camera. I am genuine, real, and I get to turn off my “be normal” filter. Hell, I was joking with my wife today that I have a part time job playing dress up. Sometimes, I still feel silly, but p I look forward to getting in front of the camera.

My customers are happy too. We all know that is a battle sometimes. I am offering a service that is a bit different than everyone else. It is not anything revolutionary, it just has a bit of a twist.

My advice to you…

Turn your filter off. Craft a gig that lets you express your fun side. Be a little silly. There are a lot of people out there looking for a dose of creativity because they have forgotten how to do it themselves! If you step out of your comfort zone, you will find an open space for your gig to grow. The customers will soon find you too. Thy are looking for something with a little spice.

You can turn your hobbies in to work; you may even make some clams doing it, but it might not be a good idea. I would recommend using Fiverr to explore jobs that you are not sure you will like. Expand your circle of possibilities. Tackle something that is a little scary!

A word to the wise (and a note on being original)

Be honest and post examples for your buyers. As long as they know what they are getting they will take a gamble on you. You do not have to be the best in a category. You do need to offer an original gig. Plan on the first few ruthroughs of your gig to be rough. They will also take extra time to complete. As your skills improve, so will your results and delivery times. Remember to revise your gigs description and post new new intros as your skills improve. And for godsake leave the live portfolio on. Nothing speaks louder than your previous work.

A unique gig is not a unicorn. You can make one today if you want too. I promise.

Take the gloves off and just go a little crazy on something.

And remember, it is okay to fail.

Sometimes it happens when you are trying something new!

A few gig ideas…

Offer to create snarky signs for people (Buy now, or the world will end).

Video coupons for people’s websites.

Fun how to videos. These are in hi demand, but you are not allowed to be boring.

If you can rock a funny voice, offer it as a voice over.

Mail anymous (creative, crazy, or funny) letters to people.

Run things over with your car!

Create sexy puzzles for couples.

Offer mock therapy sessions.

Dress up as someone or something and really get in to the character ( I will almost gurantee you sales on this one).

Find something other people are offering and twist it in to your own creation. Don’t copy, but make it your own. Add a little you sauce to it and buyers will find you!

That’s for reading. Feel free to share your thoughts.

@madmoo Thank you for your comments and pointing out the cut off. I fixed it. The personal exploration caught me off guard. Honestly, I was hoping to make a little walking around money. I have managed to do that, but I have also found something new that I like and (thus far) seem to be good at.

I didn’t see that coming. And it worth more than the moola.

@madmoo Thank you for your comments and pointing out the cut off. I fixed it. The personal exploration caught me off guard. Honestly, I was hoping to make a little walking around money. I have managed to do that, but I have also found something new that I like and (thus far) seem to be good at.

I didn’t see that coming. And it worth more than the moola.

I have revised this article a bit. I’m no grammar n**i, but I was trying to pound it out in a hurry and it was laced with “little” blemishes. My son doesn’t allow for much writing time! I apologize to those initial readers, but in the end it goes along with the post. Get your idea out there and then work on perfecting it (it won’t ever be finished).

I have revised this article a bit. I’m no grammar n**i, but I was trying to pound it out in a hurry and it was laced with “little” blemishes. My son doesn’t allow for much writing time! I apologize to those initial readers, but in the end it goes along with the post. Get your idea out there and then work on perfecting it (it won’t ever be finished).

Guest clissat

All those things would be great if only a buyer could find my gigs!

I decided to attempt to find them by just browsing firstly in the sections where they are listed but after scrolling for an hour I had no luck. So I decided to try the tag words search but that failed too even though I entered the exact tag words I used in my gig ads.

Whats the use of tag words if they don’t work?

There are far too many ads/gigs in every section. It is a hopeless task to just scroll for an hour in the one section without finding what you want.

Who scrolls for an hour?? nobody!

I think it’s time ads dropped off after 2wks or something so that everyone who has a gig gets a chance at being in the top 500 on the list.

& don’t get me started on customer support! grrrrr

Guest clissat

All those things would be great if only a buyer could find my gigs!

I decided to attempt to find them by just browsing firstly in the sections where they are listed but after scrolling for an hour I had no luck. So I decided to try the tag words search but that failed too even though I entered the exact tag words I used in my gig ads.

Whats the use of tag words if they don’t work?

There are far too many ads/gigs in every section. It is a hopeless task to just scroll for an hour in the one section without finding what you want.

Who scrolls for an hour?? nobody!

I think it’s time ads dropped off after 2wks or something so that everyone who has a gig gets a chance at being in the top 500 on the list.

& don’t get me started on customer support! grrrrr

Reply to @clissat: I Fiverr searched your gig with the words avatar and resize and your gig was on the first page of results.

Don’t worry too much. It takes a little time when you are just getting going. At least you are here in the forums asking questions. I waited far to long to start doing that.

If it is any comfort, I usually can’t find my gigs either. I’m a narcissist like that. I search for em’ at least a couple of times a week, just to see if I can dig them up. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t.

I highly recommend adding a video to your gigs too. That really helps people get over that “I don’t know you” hump.

Reply to @clissat: I Fiverr searched your gig with the words avatar and resize and your gig was on the first page of results.

Don’t worry too much. It takes a little time when you are just getting going. At least you are here in the forums asking questions. I waited far to long to start doing that.

If it is any comfort, I usually can’t find my gigs either. I’m a narcissist like that. I search for em’ at least a couple of times a week, just to see if I can dig them up. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t.

I highly recommend adding a video to your gigs too. That really helps people get over that “I don’t know you” hump.

Archived