Custom Offer - how to stop the countless revisions?

neromare

Hello,

I always put 1 revision maximum for Custom Offers, and I’m not sure if I didn’t select anything this time, maybe forgot, but the buyer requested one revision, I delivered it, now another one, delivered it, but I’m tired, because the information he requested in the revisions was nothing we agreed upon. It’s just new information, additional information, tons of information and consultations, and I can’t spend a week to keep writing.

What should I do to prevent him requesting 20 more revisions, because I explained to him that it cost me a lot of time until now and he needs to place another order for more info and he still doesn’t mark it as complete.

Thanks.

• Like 12

It’s hard, but Eoin’s right. You have to learn to say ‘no’ and be firm with it quite early on as a freelancer, or you’ll be completely taken advantage of.

The way I’ve started handling this is to say, on the last revision I offer in my original gig description (sometimes it’s one, sometimes it’s two), ‘Hello _________. I am happy to amend the changes to your order to make sure you are completely satisfied on this occasion. However, this is the last revision, as agreed upon when you placed your order. I will be happy to carry out a further ___ revisions for an extra $ __’.

It’s not always that specifically, but something similar, and it’s worked well for me so far.

• Like 13
  • Up 2

@rebekahgillian is somehow right. But in most of the cases, buyers left a negative reviews for not paying attention to their harassment. At the moment, I think fiverr doesn’t have the seller protection for these types of clients. Hope fiverr will listen to the sellers report against the illegal request of the buyers sooner or later.

Now try to say “No” in positive way just like @rebekahgillian described.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I don’t put 1 revision in custom offers, I leave that blank. I know the client can demand revisions whether they are included or not.

It’s really a matter of luck whether you get a good or bad client, but I recommend you use your own criteria. If every time you create X for tech companies you end up with revision requests, maybe you should avoid them in the future. On the other hand, if your tobacco, alcohol, etc, clients love you, then bid away.

Also, in your custom offer, tell your clients you will not make more than 1 revision, if this is a problem. Some clients will appreciate your honesty.

• Like 9

Maybe he/she is your competitor. If you are harassed then you may contact CS to resolve that issue. I have done only 3-6 revisions rarely for a single client. Yes, learn to say ‘NO’.

I sometimes buy on Fiverr. I also have a bad experience with a seller who never replies after the gig has been delivered and automatically marked as completed after 3 days. I really do not want to leave a negative review. I have seen those types of seller popup and vanish in few months interval. Otherwise, most of the seller I worked with are very competent at their work.

• Like 6

I think it is important to realize that many people don’t actually realize the big deal requesting a revision is. People see the button there and just click it because they have the option to. If you didn’t know better, you would probably do the same thing. This is why a professional and courteous response like @rebekahgillian has suggested is so effective. It is sensible and when people are told, they usually understand.
Remember too that there is a misconception out there that Fiverr sellers are desperate, will do anything for $5, really need the money and that the buyer can therefore keep asking for things. When you set them straight and come across professionally, this challenges all of the incorrect assumptions the buyer has and forces them to rethink.

I offer zero revisions on any gig but any time there is a reasonable request, I just do it.
If you offer revisions, it can be a good idea to define what a revision is in your delivery message. Do it in a nice way but make it clear what they can request. Color changes, font changes, etc are things that are usually acceptable revisions, asking you to change what they asked for originally is not a revision, it is a change of plan - that should cost extra.
Of course, how anyone runs their business is up to them- if you like a client for some reason, be free to do something free for them, it doesn’t mean you have to do it every time.

• Like 11

OK, guys and gals, problems again. He completed the order and said “See, I marked as complete”. But now is continuing to ask me questions about other things, so I don’t get my response rate dropped, I basically stay and answer.

I don’t want to be rude, but I don’t really know how to proceed with him.

I already said something like: “Hello _________. I am happy to amend the changes to your order to make sure you are completely satisfied on this occasion. However, this is the last revision, as agreed upon when you placed your order. I will be happy to carry out a further ___ revisions for an extra $ __’.” how @rebekahgillian suggested, but he doesn’t care.

He: “Okay bro, super, but tell me more. Tomorrow you will tell me more, I marked as complete, you see?”

• Like 8

@fastcopywriter Thanks, I will let them know I offer 0 revisions, because that’s how much I usually offer on most gigs. Additional revisions cost $5-10 but I don’t see this with the custom offer, can’t say why. I am totally okay to continue to work after getting paid but that’s not the case here.

• Like 7

OK, guys and gals, problems again. He completed the order and said “See, I marked as complete”. But now is continuing to ask me questions about other things, so I don’t get my response rate dropped, I basically stay and answer.

I don’t want to be rude, but I don’t really know how to proceed with him.

I already said something like: “Hello _________. I am happy to amend the changes to your order to make sure you are completely satisfied on this occasion. However, this is the last revision, as agreed upon when you placed your order. I will be happy to carry out a further ___ revisions for an extra $ __’.” how @rebekahgillian suggested, but he doesn’t care.

He: “Okay bro, super, but tell me more. Tomorrow you will tell me more, I marked as complete, you see?”

Response rate only counts for the first message - if you never respond again it will not affect your response rate.

When someone decides to continually ask questions, suggest that they order another gig.

Say something about the fact that you do not have time to answer endless questions (in a nice way)

• Like 10

Maybe he/she is your competitor. If you are harassed then you may contact CS to resolve that issue. I have done only 3-6 revisions rarely for a single client. Yes, learn to say ‘NO’.

I sometimes buy on Fiverr. I also have a bad experience with a seller who never replies after the gig has been delivered and automatically marked as completed after 3 days. I really do not want to leave a negative review. I have seen those types of seller popup and vanish in few months interval. Otherwise, most of the seller I worked with are very competent at their work.

No, I don’t want to get that far. He just paid $50 so he probably expects me to write a whole book, so he could justify the money spent. I just need to find a way to offer a Custom Offer with the ability to pay for the revisions.

• Like 6

No, I don’t want to get that far. He just paid $50 so he probably expects me to write a whole book, so he could justify the money spent. I just need to find a way to offer a Custom Offer with the ability to pay for the revisions.

With any order, you can add a custom extra to the order at any time - that’s how you charge for additional revisions.

• Like 8

Response rate only counts for the first message - if you never respond again it will not affect your response rate.

When someone decides to continually ask questions, suggest that they order another gig.

Say something about the fact that you do not have time to answer endless questions (in a nice way)

First message for a specific time period, or?

And can I put a blank gig, like some of the people do, like “Tip Jar” or something and redirect them there?

Thank you!

With any order, you can add a custom extra to the order at any time - that’s how you charge for additional revisions.

Didn’t see that. Will try to find it.

• Like 6

First message for a specific time period, or?

And can I put a blank gig, like some of the people do, like “Tip Jar” or something and redirect them there?

Thank you!

First message must be responded to within 24 hours - after that it doesnt count, even with a year between messages.

I use consultation gigs where people can ask me any question about a particular subject for $25.

Within an active order page, as part of the message box - you will see it there

• Like 8

I think it is important to realize that many people don’t actually realize the big deal requesting a revision is. People see the button there and just click it because they have the option to. If you didn’t know better, you would probably do the same thing. This is why a professional and courteous response like @rebekahgillian has suggested is so effective. It is sensible and when people are told, they usually understand.

Remember too that there is a misconception out there that Fiverr sellers are desperate, will do anything for $5, really need the money and that the buyer can therefore keep asking for things. When you set them straight and come across professionally, this challenges all of the incorrect assumptions the buyer has and forces them to rethink.

I offer zero revisions on any gig but any time there is a reasonable request, I just do it.

If you offer revisions, it can be a good idea to define what a revision is in your delivery message. Do it in a nice way but make it clear what they can request. Color changes, font changes, etc are things that are usually acceptable revisions, asking you to change what they asked for originally is not a revision, it is a change of plan - that should cost extra.

Of course, how anyone runs their business is up to them- if you like a client for some reason, be free to do something free for them, it doesn’t mean you have to do it every time.

Yes. And by the way, I just want to quote that and say that it’s GOLDEN. Anyone should read that.

• Like 7

@fastcopywriter Thanks, I will let them know I offer 0 revisions, because that’s how much I usually offer on most gigs. Additional revisions cost $5-10 but I don’t see this with the custom offer, can’t say why. I am totally okay to continue to work after getting paid but that’s not the case here.

Additional revisions cost $5-10 but I don’t see this with the custom

Right, the custom offer form only includes price, number of revisions, and delivery days. So if you want to mention something else, you have to write it in the offer. Personally, I would let the client ask me how much for revisions vs. telling him what they cost.

It’s better to avoid negative things, most clients don’t want to think that their work will require a revision, they hope you get it right the first time.

• Like 9

@fastcopywriter I stopped offering revisions for free because in 100.00% of the time someone requests a revision from me, he just needs NOT an upgrade, but additional info, data, or work. Basically gets one for free. And I’m positive they know that, that’s why they use it.

Something very interesting, synonyms of “revision” are:
correction, alteration, changing

They don’t request an “alteration” or “changing”.
It’s often “hey, can you add that too”, or “hey, tell me this too”.

• Like 5
  • Up 2

@fastcopywriter I stopped offering revisions for free because in 100.00% of the time someone requests a revision from me, he just needs NOT an upgrade, but additional info, data, or work. Basically gets one for free. And I’m positive they know that, that’s why they use it.

They don’t request an “alteration” or “changing”.

It’s often “hey, can you add that too”, or “hey, tell me this too”.

That’s exactly what it is. For a logo I once ordered, my revision request was to have the palm tree being blown by a wind from the left instead of the right. It was my second revision, but I promised the seller a tip. I rarely demand more than one revision, sometimes I will close an order only to order again. Sellers love that.

• Like 8

• 4 years later...

This endless revision cycle is a nightmare.

I have couple different examples of experiences which you will learn nothing from.

1 - There was this guy who asked revisions endlessly for "more details in the face" which is absurd. Face details matches the rest of the drawing. And he constantly asked me to send the file trough chat to "observe better" which is obviously a trick to get the work for free. After a while i canceled the order. He was obviously tryng to get the finished product for free. 

2 - This time the guy was playing with the design too much, revisions after revisions he is changing pose of the character, facial expressions, proportions and whatnot. After a while i snapped and told him im not going to do it and that should be enough. Suprisingly, he agreed. Turns out he was a pushy guy and he knew it. So he accepted the order as it is and gave me one of the best written reviews.

Those two examples had written in stone in my head. 

Try to get the vibe from the client, are they really tryng to make the product better? Or are they tryng to break you will? 

And remember, you can charge for more if they have exceeded the number of revisions you have given at the start of the order.

• Like 5