Custom Order Fraud

I have a buyer who wanted me to rewrite the eBook “that he wrote” to make it original. I agreed to rewrite the 3800 word eBook, format the content and provide a cover. I designed a cover and provided a sample of what the content will look like. He wanted the cover redone "because it looked “too 1980s”. I told him I would outsource a redesign of the cover to a graphic designer which I did. He approved the finished product. Once I delivered the finished order, he decided he wanted to change the title again. I told him the outsourcing gig was completed and feedback left a long time ago, after he had approved the design. He tells me he wants a refund of the entire order. I declined. He writes back that now the rewrite is s**t, blah, blah, and he wants a refund. I call him out on the fraud, tell him I don’t believe he ever intended to pay, that he had approved the example and the cover I sent, etc. Has anyone encountered anything like this?

Sounds like a pretty typical scam run by buyers that think they can just express dissatisfaction or request an impossible revision and you’ll balk and give them their money back, after you’ve already done a mountain of work (which in some situations might be the best way to go). I don’t think situations like this are necessarily exclusive to custom orders.

If it were a $5 order, I might give a refund, but I am not refunding almost $100 worth of work on such obvious fraud.

Reply to @newspoet: I wasn’t suggesting that you should.

He wanted you to rewrite the ebook that he wrote? It sounds like he was dishonestly trying to use someone else’s work.

just report to fiverr support and his account will be banned straight off!

Reply to @graphics_pro360: What gives you this idea?

I’ve had this problem a few times.

The support team will tell you something like -

"We cannot help you with this problem , communicate better with your client"

Its going to make you really mad.

Next time , come up with a “safety net” to NEVER allow that to happen again , ever.

Customer support will not help make sure the funds are delivered to you , they will side with the BUYER EVERY TIME.

Its really frustrating and I hope they one day take the time to dissect these incidents on a case by case basis… but they are too worried about finding out which response to copy and paste back to you.

Another thing you can do is tell them that you require a deposit before you’ll start working on the order and that they must “complete” that deposit order before you even start on the project.

They can STILL go through paypal and reverse the funds though. And you wont find that out for a long time later.

Reply to @emasonwrites: I know. I’m just frustrated.

Reply to @misscrystal: Yeah, I don’t know. He told me that he wrote the book for a different purpose and had me take out references to another program, etc. It sounded like some PLR garbage that people give people to “go into business for themselves.”

Reply to @zarklon:

This is not possible. All Fiverr orders must be paid for – in full – before the seller can begin working.

@jonbaas, he’s talking about a separate order just for deposits on a larger order. I don’t know how that would help though, because the same issues would apply with PayPal disputes, etc. I’m hoping the buyer just realizes he is busted and moves on. A lot of work went into his order to not get paid for it…

I also write eBooks and have had these issue many times, but I don’t offer refund at all be it just $1 for intense. This is because I don’t like any person who is trying to scam or thinks himself as an oversmart. Please don’t refund even a single dollar give him pain in his bum till the funds clear never mind his negative comment. If all sellers start doing this his bum will be filled with negative reviews and this will stop him from acting oversmart and scamming fiverr sellers like me and you without any reason.

Reply to @newspoet: I also write eBooks and have had these issue many times, but I don’t offer refund at all be it just $1 for intense. This is because I don’t like any person who is trying to scam or thinks himself as an oversmart. Please don’t refund even a single dollar give him pain in his bum till the funds clear never mind his negative comment. If all sellers start doing this his bum will be filled with negative reviews and this will stop him from acting oversmart and scamming fiverr sellers like me and you without any reason.

Reply to @misscrystal: Yes! you are right. He must have got that eBook written from me I think than have gone to @newspoet to get it rewritten and then he will sell the eBooks happily after getting refund. I also write eBooks and have had these issue many times, but I did not offer refund at all be it just $1 for intense. This is because I don’t like any person who is trying to scam or thinks himself as an oversmart. Please don’t refund even a single dollar give him pain in his bum till the funds clear never mind his negative comment. If all sellers start doing this his bum will be filled with negative reviews and this will stop him from acting oversmart and scamming fiverr sellers like me and you without any reason.

Okay, so Customer Support promised not to force cancel the order in question, but now I cannot access the delivered order. It simply says “Something Went Wrong…” I have submitted this to CS, but I am afraid the client has found some way of not paying for the order now that it has been delivered–the order should have cleared by now. Anyone with a similar experience?

Reply to @danish82:

danish82 said: I also write eBooks and have had these issue many times, but I don't offer refund at all be it just $1 for intense.

This makes no sense.

danish82 said: If all sellers start doing this his bum will be filled with negative reviews and this will stop him from acting oversmart

This is rude.

If all sellers spoke like this and acted like this, Fiverr would disappear. They are raking in money right now on the backs of both qualified and unqualified sellers. Offering advice on how to look like a crap seller will really hurt every seller.

Reply to @danish82: This is the 3rd time in one thread you have tried to make this thread about you, using the same text that makes no sense. Please stop. “$1 for intense” makes no sense, “bum” makes you sound like a pre-teen and “oversmart” is not a word. --Rant reply inside of rant thread. :slight_smile:

Reply to @newspoet: Was it giving you the “Something went wrong…” runaround earlier today or did it just start happening? Because like two hours ago I could get on Fiverr and everything was fine, and now, no matter what page I’m trying to access (like, if I click on your username to try to view your profile or someone else’s profile or try to just go to the main page), I’m getting that error, too.