Daily Mail Article

dolly_donut

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, in my country sobriety spells are an old pagan tradition and even here the lawmakers start to crack down on these kinds of services because addiction or rather its side-effects are a medical issue. I don’t think it changes the positive cultural perception of sobriety spells in particular, though.

After falling into a rabbit hole of “Let’s purchase the cheapest and the most expensive option of X service on fiverr and have a laugh about the results” youtube videos, I’m somewhat desensitized to fiverr exposés, to be honest.

Has anyone seen the article in the Daily Mail about Fiverr spellcasters? It’s quite brutal and really goes after a couple of sellers by name 😦

Can I post the link here in case anyone wants to read?

Can I post the link here

Probably not a good idea if names are mentioned in the article, as it’s not allowed to mention names on the forum. People who want to read it can Google it anyway with that info.

I mean, in my country sobriety spells are an old pagan tradition and even here the lawmakers start to crack down on these kinds of services because addiction or rather its side-effects are a medical issue. I don’t think it changes the positive cultural perception of sobriety spells in particular, though.

After falling into a rabbit hole of “Let’s purchase the cheapest and the most expensive option of X service on fiverr and have a laugh about the results” youtube videos, I’m somewhat desensitized to fiverr exposés, to be honest.

That’s a thing? I had no idea! I’ve been here for seven years and it still surprises me to see attacks like this.

It makes a great alarmist article against an easy target.

I like how they say " ‘miracle cures don’t exist’ " as if they know that for a fact.

There are reports of what basically are miracle cures for alcoholism as well as other addictions.

I’ve read of several different miracle cures for alcoholism:

favicon.icoThe Fix – 28 Feb 17
holdingpills.thumb.jpg.5fe94306e9dcc1a9fd4f058f97d8047c.jpg

Naltrexone: Cure for Alcoholism? | The Fix

I have never been delusional enough to think that there is any “miracle cure” or “easy way out,” but naltrexone really worked for me.

There are actually many such drugs available which are described as miracle cures for alcoholism, as well as shamanistic approaches that many people swear cured them.

It makes a great alarmist article against an easy target.

I like how they say " ‘miracle cures don’t exist’ " as if they know that for a fact.

There are reports of what basically are miracle cures for alcoholism as well as other addictions.

I’ve read of several different miracle cures for alcoholism:

favicon.icoThe Fix – 28 Feb 17
6a4809a46bf03235d58b80d1f501dade8227f53d.jpeg

Naltrexone: Cure for Alcoholism? | The Fix

I have never been delusional enough to think that there is any “miracle cure” or “easy way out,” but naltrexone really worked for me.

There are actually many such drugs available which are described as miracle cures for alcoholism, as well as shamanistic approaches that many people swear cured them.

It’s very sensationalist! And not particularly well researched. But then that never has seemed to stop that particular publication!

If you want to talk about the Daily Mail, look at what they are currently doing to Meghan Markle. AKA the last normal person to join the royal family since Princess Diana, whom they are now taking a character assassination machine gun to because she dared try and get away.

As for the witching alarmism, they are piling it on but going a bit too far with their level of hyperbole:

'So potentially if the person hasn’t told anyone they are using this online approach to quitting they risk dying or severe fitting with no one around to help them.

This is just silly. I know addicts and I’ve seen my share of tragedies. No addict would ever tun to Fiverr to really find a cure. That implies a level of logical cognition that is just absent in an addict. Also, all a story like this really does is deflct the reason for the current drug crisis away from its cause.

The cause is the 💩 reporting to the masses.

I’m English but I read the Daily Mail and thank God every day that I’m not actually living in England.

I wonder if the sellers mentioned have any recourse against the DM. Even if it’s just a strongly worded C&D letter.

I have a feeling it’s going to get some curious people who never heard of fiverr interested in the site.

One spellcaster they mentioned is here with over 1,000 positive reviews and only 6 negative reviews.

It’s very sensationalist! And not particularly well researched. But then that never has seemed to stop that particular publication!

But then that never has seemed to stop that particular publication!

The article is too damning in some areas, but is not nearly daming enough in others.

There are spellcasters on here claiming they can treat alcohol addiction. Their gigs NEED to be made to carry warning labels. Alcoholism is a serious condition. A misstep in treatment here or there and a person can end up dead.

The article is too damning in some areas, but is not nearly daming enough in others.

There are spellcasters on here claiming they can treat alcohol addiction. Their gigs NEED to be made to carry warning labels. Alcoholism is a serious condition. A misstep in treatment here or there and a person can end up dead.

The entire addiction is deadly in more ways than one. A friend of mine died in his 30’s from it.

I assume any spell to stop alcohol addiction would do it in a safe way. Is that article saying that the spells work but are dangerous simply due to working so well?

I’m sure in some countries people have to turn to spellcasters due to lack of any modern medical care.

The entire addiction is deadly in more ways than one. A friend of mine died in his 30’s from it.

I assume any spell to stop alcohol addiction would do it in a safe way. Is that article saying that the spells work but are dangerous simply due to working so well?

I’m sure in some countries people have to turn to spellcasters due to lack of any modern medical care.

Apparently the DM alerted Fiverr to the dangers of the gigs and they have taken them down.

It says that they’re dangerous because they encourage addicts to go cold turkey which can be life-threatening. And that they prey on vulnerable people.

Apparently the DM alerted Fiverr to the dangers of the gigs and they have taken them down.

One of the sellers mentioned in the article is active on the site right now. Although, I believe, they are shown as Level 2 on the screenshot and are currently Level 1. But those could be old screenshots and the seller in question could have been demoted for some unrelated reason.

It says that they’re dangerous because they encourage addicts to go cold turkey which can be life-threatening. And that they prey on vulnerable people.

How do they know that? Did they ask the spellcasters that? Hopefully the buyers would be protected from danger. And what makes the buyers so vulnerable? Not having anyone else to turn to? Not having access to any medical care? Would they be better off left on their own with no one at all? I’m not really asking anyone here, just wondering.

Does Alcoholics Anonymous encourage members to go cold turkey?

How do they know that? Did they ask the spellcasters that? Hopefully the buyers would be protected from danger. And what makes the buyers so vulnerable? Not having anyone else to turn to? Not having access to any medical care? Would they be better off left on their own with no one at all? I’m not really asking anyone here, just wondering.

Sometimes, but quitting cold turkey or even going several hours without a fix can be extremely dangerous, depending on the level of addiction.

An addicted family member of mine was taken to the resus department in a hospital, with their life in danger, after going several hours without a drink.

I think what makes addicts so vulnerable is they’re often unwilling to admit to themselves just how physically dependent on something they are. Many addicts need to be routinely monitored when quitting a source of addiction, even when they themselves don’t believe that’s necessary.

The cold-turkey approach is deeply rooted in the United States, embraced by doctors, the multibillion-dollar treatment industry and popular culture. For nearly 80 years, our approach to drinking problems has been inspired by the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Developed in the 1930s by men who were “chronic inebriates,” the A.A. program offers a single path to recovery: abstinence,

from a New York Times article.

I’ve seen people’s health, lives, and families destroyed by alcohol. I’ve seen people go in and out of treatment centers and hospitals, go from doctor to doctor, none of which could help for more than a few months at best.

These people were going to die an early death. Who is to stop them from making their own decisions about where to get help, when help is so illusive and offers them nothing at all? All the treatment centers, doctors and other “medical” options in the world won’t stop their drinking, or driving drunk and having car wreck after car wreck until ultimately someone is killed.

And this is only the ones who have medical care access. I’m sure there are millions who don’t even have that option.

Yes AA does encourage people to go cold turkey the last I heard.

The cold-turkey approach is deeply rooted in the United States, embraced by doctors, the multibillion-dollar treatment industry and popular culture. For nearly 80 years, our approach to drinking problems has been inspired by the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Developed in the 1930s by men who were “chronic inebriates,” the A.A. program offers a single path to recovery: abstinence,

The cold turkey approach is often accompanied by other interventions, though, such as rehydration therapy, vital monitoring, and alcohol withdrawal meds. So it’s cold turkey from alcohol, but not medical intervention in general. Some alcoholics are simply too physically dependent to be able to just throw away the drink and spend the day hanging out in the park or on Fiverr.

Of course, addiction is a vast spectrum. Many on the lower ends of it are able to quit cold turkey.

The cold turkey approach is often accompanied by other interventions, though, such as rehydration therapy, vital monitoring, and alcohol withdrawal meds. So it’s cold turkey from alcohol, but not medical intervention in general. Some alcoholics are simply too physically dependent to be able to just throw away the drink and spend the day hanging out in the park or on Fiverr.

Of course, addiction is a vast spectrum. Many on the lower ends of it are able to quit cold turkey.

It’s lovely to live in a dream world where everyone has access to medical care. I say let people be their own decision makers. Yes these spells should come with some kind of warning. But let’s not make life and death decisions for everyone in the world about what they can and can’t try to recover.

Why take away people’s own decisions about their own lives and their own problems? Do you want to have your options for how you live and how you choose to treat your problems decided for you?

Should we warn people to stop praying for recovery too?

Let’s make religion illegal while we’re at it. If a prayer works a miracle should it come with a warning label?

I’ve cured myself of a couple of serious diseases without any medical help at all. Should I not be allowed to do that and instead begin trudging from doctor to doctor never finding any help?

It’s lovely to live in a dream world where everyone has access to medical care. I say let people be their own decision makers. Yes these spells should come with some kind of warning. But let’s not make life and death decisions for everyone in the world about what they can and can’t try to recover.

Why take away people’s own decisions about their own lives and their own problems? Do you want to have your options for how you live and how you choose to treat your problems decided for you?

Should we warn people to stop praying for recovery too?

Let’s make religion illegal while we’re at it. If a prayer works a miracle should it come with a warning label?

I’ve cured myself of a couple of serious diseases without any medical help at all. Should I not be allowed to do that and instead begin trudging from doctor to doctor never finding any help?

I didn’t say any of those things. 🙂

I said addicts can often be ignorant to the complexities of their condition. Once a warning has been put on a gig, or a drug, or a product, then an addict has been given the necessary education to make their own decision.

Something like this would work: “It can be dangerous to quit a substance cold turkey. Consult a medical professional before doing so.”

I didn’t say any of those things. 🙂

I said addicts can often be ignorant to the complexities of their condition. Once a warning has been put on a gig, or a drug, or a product, then an addict has been given the necessary education to make their own decision.

Something like this would work: “It can be dangerous to quit a substance cold turkey. Consult a medical professional before doing so.”

“It can be dangerous to quit a substance cold turkey. Consult a medical professional before doing so.”

Do they require AA to give that notice to members when they urge them to quit cold turkey?

If not then they should. Why single out spellcasters for that?

Their gigs NEED to be made to carry warning labels.

In this case, so does every gig on Fiverr. That seller who says they can get you to rank number one on Google, they need a disclaimer. That seller who says they will give you the best animation video, they need a disclaimer if their video isn’t the best.

No, not usually. Quitting cold turkey or even going several hours without a fix can be extremely dangerous, depending on the level of addiction.

Congratulations. You’ve Googled just how damning addiction can be and can now recite the effects on the human body.

An addicted family member of mine was taken to the resus department in a hospital, with their life in danger, after going several hours without a drink.

Really? There are so many things wrong in this statement it’s beyond silly. You don’t get taken to a resuscitation department. You have resuscitation on the spot wherever you stop breathing. (Because you’re dead.) I know. My girlfriend’s mum when I was 16 was a nurse and did ‘resus’ on her daughter in front of me in their living room.

Can you imagine how many people would die needlessly just by having to go to the ‘resus’ department?

I just wish I knew then that I could have brought her back with a drink. After all, isn’t that what you are saying here? Your family member HAD their life in danger and needed to be taken to ‘resus’ because they’d gone several hours without a drink?

Thanks for that, as soon as I get my time machine, I’ll go back in time with a G&T.

I’m not against addiction-themed spell casting gigs in theory, though. I’m more against the lack of precautions being taken at the moment. As long as an addict goes into the gig with a basic understanding of addiction, I don’t really see a problem.

You can sum up everything you just said and everything you said on this thread so far by saying “Hello, I was born after 1990 and need to feel listened to.”

The cold turkey approach is often accompanied by other interventions, though, such as rehydration therapy, vital monitoring, and alcohol withdrawal meds.

Really, is Wikipedia suddenly lacking contributors?

I’m sorry,. but I am not even going to disguise my anger here. YOU have presented yourself as someone directly affected by addiction here and you either are not or were taking LSD yourself at the time. Stop trying to speak like an authority on this matter. It is offensive to those who have actually dealt with addiction.

Archived