Fiverr Community Forum

Dealing with Cancellation Requests

I delivered an illustration to a client based on the sparse requirements he provided in the order. A day later he has now requested a cancellation saying that the quality of the product was poor and does not reflect the quality of the others in my gig profile. My gig includes two revisions so I offered to revise but he declined. I can’t say I agree with his assessment, but feel like there’s not really recourse for the seller in these instances. If you’ve had a similar cancellation request, what have you done?

1 Like

It could be that he really doesn’t like your work in the end, otherwise he tries to scam you. Some “customers” know how easy it is to get away with someones work without paying. A well known issue…

Well, you could

a) agree to cancel the order. This would mean, you wasted your lifetime, you don’t get paid for your work and it’ll affect your completion rate.
b) decline to cancel and insist on doing the offered revisions/deliver your product again and again. If agrees to take it as final delivery, prepare for a smashing 1-star review (at this point you won’t even see it before you write your review, isn’t this great!). If he doesn’t agree to accept it, he may contact customer service, which will - in most cases - cancel the order. From this point you read a) once again.
c) contact customer service, explain them the situation in detail and send some screenshots to proof you did high quality work and you will receive the usual standard-template-answer for this kind of situation. “They can not force the buyer to accept your delivery. Please communicate with your customer, etc.” Follow a) please.

It doesn’t matter what you do. In most cases your money is gone, you wasted your lifetime and it will definitely affect your stats negatively. There is no positive solution for this problem.

6 Likes

its unfair at all ,we must support to introduce a fair system

1 Like

That happened to me and I told Customer services. Who suggested I try and work it out with the buyer. Which I did by doing lots of pointless revisions. Then they suddenly agreed to complete. Then 2-3 months later they got their money back by (I think) asking for a PayPal charge back and of course the order became cancelled. Plus I’m the lucky recipient of their spiteful feedback because I refused to cancel. And no, customer services have said they will not remove the 1 star rating, even though this scammer deleted their account as soon as they got their money back.

2 Likes

I think the only way to get a fairer system is to insist that buyers follow the same rules as you do for signing up with a crypto exchange - photo passport, etc. That way if they try to get on again it will be harder. Although obviously that’s more work for the Fiverr team.

1 Like

I’m not a seller, but I believe that buyers who resort to PayPal chargebacks get banned by Fiverr… so that might be why their account was deleted so quickly.

Fiverr should try to protect sellers from this kind of fraud.

2 Likes

Hi, I don’t think Fiverr would do that otherwise they would be eliminating buyers who were justified in requesting a charge back. Plus realistically does it matter whether you’re a buyer that’s been on 5 minutes or 4 years? Sellers need to sell to someone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happily, customer services followed this cancellation up and retrieved the money that had been taken. Well done Fiverr! I’m hoping they will also remove the review they left too, fingers crossed!

6 Likes

Anyway you have your right in Fiverr , not only buyer have all the rights but and the seller , why he should cancel the order when you finish the work , so as you said he don’t want a revision LOL.

1 Like

you are absolutely right

2 Likes

Just one small correction on a detail, if it was a chargeback, it wasn’t the customer deleting his account but Fiverr suspending it, because chargebacks are a violation of Fiverr’s terms.

Doesn’t help that much in practise since some buyers can and apparently do simply open another account, but at least they don’t get to scam another seller right away after a chargeback and I do hope that Fiverr’s security measures like phone verification, etc., at least keep some of them from making new accounts.

4 Likes

Doesn’t work like that, a buyer scammed $600 from me this way and chargedback but still available on Fiverr, he is also a seller.

I discovered last night that Fiverr had managed to get the money back from PayPal. So they’ve re-credited my account. And it would be great if they could take away the one star review - but even though the buyer was a scammer the review stays.

1 Like

yes true i dont know why people are doing like this, it is there responsibility to confirm everything before placing any order

Refuse to cancel no matter what. You have fufilled your requirements. Let him know you do not offer refunds. I’ve had something similar happen to me and I knew for a fact I upheld my end of the bargain and gave him exactly what he was looking for.

Here’s what I tell them: (I just had the unfortunate incident twice this month alone!).

Cancellation after delivery is against Fiverr’s TOS. I will report this to Customer Service and let them handle it. If the dispute goes through, you are not allowed to use my work at all. I will check and if I find out I will report your content to Google (or Apple) along with the proof of claim. Usually they back down. Of course I have the luxury of knowing where exactly they will publish the work after I deliver, Google Playstore or Apple Appstore which are very strict with copyright claim. But maybe it can work with other type of file as well.

2 Likes

This forum is filled with people getting cancellation requests. I wonder what the rate is? 50%? I wish Fiverr staff would do something about this!

2 Likes

Believe it or not, I’ve hardly had cancellation problems in 4 years I was in Fiverr. Maybe 4 or 5 times in 4 years!

However, this month alone, within DAYS of each other, I had 2 cancellation requests after delivery, one came from my returning buyer, and 2 completely A$$H* customers I have to cancel anyway. So, 4 cancellation risks in one month. Crazy.

I have no idea what is currently going on at Fiverr. But if this trend persist, I will rethink of staying here.

1 Like