Dear Freelancers: Diversify!

lucycodex

I hear a lot of whining from people who have been selling the same gig or two for many years or months on this site, and then either their gigs get removed, they get banned, or their gig impressions for some reason drop. You should NEVER put yourself in a situation where if you lose your gig on Fiverr, you lose your ability to afford food and toiletries.

The most important way in which you can avoid this is through diversifying.

How do you diversify?

Well, to start off, you should diversify your gigs on Fiverr. This includes offering niche services (Making a gig about writing articles on Bitcoin, or drawing illustrations for children’s books) instead of simply offering general ones.

When it comes to fierce competition, you have to find a way to offer something with your expertise, instead of simply making an “I will make business cards” gig like thousands of other people. You may be great at making business cards, but what separates you from everyone else?

Another way you can diversify is by getting income in other areas. I can’t go too much into detail about this, but it can include things like writing a short ebook, or babysitting on the side. These are called Side Hustles. They are a way of making money from other areas, even if Fiverr is your main income source.

Finding a way to sell your services on many platforms helps too, instead of just one. This can lessen the blow if one of them goes belly up.

Also, always, ALWAYS, have a backup fund. This can be either a couple hundred dollars, or just a couple of months of bills, to prevent you from being left with nothing if something goes wrong.

It pains me to see otherwise great freelancers have to quit freelancing because they only have one source of income, or are otherwise bad with finances. I am not perfect myself, and I am still working through all of this as well. I am not nearly as diverse with my income sources as I want to be. But the more I work at it, the less anxious I am about not being able to afford rent, or feed myself.

I hear a lot of whining from people who have been selling the same gig or two for many years or months on this site, and then either their gigs get removed, they get banned, or their gig impressions for some reason drop. You should NEVER put yourself in a situation where if you lose your gig on Fiverr, you lose your ability to afford food and toiletries.

The most important way in which you can avoid this is through diversifying.

How do you diversify?

Well, to start off, you should diversify your gigs on Fiverr. This includes offering niche services (Making a gig about writing articles on Bitcoin, or drawing illustrations for children’s books) instead of simply offering general ones.

When it comes to fierce competition, you have to find a way to offer something with your expertise, instead of simply making an “I will make business cards” gig like thousands of other people. You may be great at making business cards, but what separates you from everyone else?

Another way you can diversify is by getting income in other areas. I can’t go too much into detail about this, but it can include things like writing a short ebook, or babysitting on the side. These are called Side Hustles. They are a way of making money from other areas, even if Fiverr is your main income source.

Finding a way to sell your services on many platforms helps too, instead of just one. This can lessen the blow if one of them goes belly up.

Also, always, ALWAYS, have a backup fund. This can be either a couple hundred dollars, or just a couple of months of bills, to prevent you from being left with nothing if something goes wrong.

It pains me to see otherwise great freelancers have to quit freelancing because they only have one source of income, or are otherwise bad with finances. I am not perfect myself, and I am still working through all of this as well. I am not nearly as diverse with my income sources as I want to be. But the more I work at it, the less anxious I am about not being able to afford rent, or feed myself.

Also, always, ALWAYS, have a backup fund.

Quote of the day!

Well, at least for me.

I have a decent amount saved already on the side, but it’s always nice to have a backup 🙂

And a few extra “side hustles” too!

(that’s a new word for me, BTW)

Quote of the day!

Well, at least for me.

I have a decent amount saved already on the side, but it’s always nice to have a backup 🙂

I learned it from following the YouTube channel The Financial Diet. While I already know a lot of the stuff mentioned on here, it certainly helps motivate me to learn new things.

Quote of the day!

Well, at least for me.

In this moment fiverr is now my back up. I worked all last year for it but this changing… My official job is getting my back up until i quite… 😃

I have tried other platforms, their system is #$%^

I can’t keep “bidding” or doing free stuff for their contests. Till now, fiverr is the best online platform I guess.

Nice post though 😃

I can’t keep “bidding” or doing free stuff for their contests.

I am using another start with a U. It has bidding on it, but that is no different than having a buyer’s request here on Fiverr. Working on the U is not too different than sending a pitch to a larger website.

I agree that Fiverr is awesome, but it is niche enough to be dangerous to be exclusively on.

Don’t diversify into something you can’t do well.

This should be added to what was earlier mentioned. Very important! Otherwise you’ll box yourself to a corner with jobs you can’t fulfil. It is one thing to get an order; it’s another thing to deliver. You might consider researching trending gigs on Fiverr, then learn how to do such jobs and set it up!

I can’t keep “bidding” or doing free stuff for their contests.

I am using another start with a U. It has bidding on it, but that is no different than having a buyer’s request here on Fiverr. Working on the U is not too different than sending a pitch to a larger website.

I agree that Fiverr is awesome, but it is niche enough to be dangerous to be exclusively on.

I am using another start with a U. It has bidding on it, but that is no different than having a buyer’s request here on Fiverr.

I don’t like bidding, never did. Bidding is time consuming, and since we’re punished for cancellations, we can’t just bid everyone and hope for the best.

When I search “X” on Buyers Requests, I have to ask myself:

Is this buyer right for me?

Will he like my work?

Have I had issues with that category?

Then I have to write the bid, I have to look at my gig prices since I don’t charge the same for everything, it’s so annoying.

Besides, I don’t know any successful sellers that got rich from bidding. All the successful people I know are found on search, a few advertise on Facebook but that’s a gamble and not everyone can afford to lose money, I certainly cannot.

“Diversify” applies to stocks, not jobs. The average person has a full-time job and Fiverr, Uber, Lyft, etc. There’s not much available, and most of what’s available doesn’t work.

If you search “how to make money online,” most of what you get is junk. Same goes for Warrior’s Forum, unless you’re an expert, you won’t be able to separate the junk from the gold nuggets, it all looks the same, it’s all written the same.

I am using another start with a U. It has bidding on it, but that is no different than having a buyer’s request here on Fiverr.

I don’t like bidding, never did. Bidding is time consuming, and since we’re punished for cancellations, we can’t just bid everyone and hope for the best.

When I search “X” on Buyers Requests, I have to ask myself:

Is this buyer right for me?

Will he like my work?

Have I had issues with that category?

Then I have to write the bid, I have to look at my gig prices since I don’t charge the same for everything, it’s so annoying.

Besides, I don’t know any successful sellers that got rich from bidding. All the successful people I know are found on search, a few advertise on Facebook but that’s a gamble and not everyone can afford to lose money, I certainly cannot.

“Diversify” applies to stocks, not jobs. The average person has a full-time job and Fiverr, Uber, Lyft, etc. There’s not much available, and most of what’s available doesn’t work.

If you search “how to make money online,” most of what you get is junk. Same goes for Warrior’s Forum, unless you’re an expert, you won’t be able to separate the junk from the gold nuggets, it all looks the same, it’s all written the same.

I don’t like bidding, never did. Bidding is time consuming

Why not give it a try. About an hour ago I read your complaint about not getting any jobs for 3 days? What do you do to change it? There is nothing wrong with going out looking for jobs and bidding. It’s a competitive market. I personally don’t mind bidding. I was able to land some amazing jobs through bidding on and off Fiverr. Give it a try 😉

Archived