Deliver order, no source files what to do

ronc0011

I just spent 7 days working on a wordpress site for a client. The job was for $50 and 7 days. The scope of the work was all digital i.e. updating and editing his website There was a lot of chasing issues with his paid theme. It was very time consuming. It didn’t produce any files. it was all reconfigureing settings and adding plugins etc. When I tried to deliver the order it wouldn’t let me. Insisting I hadn’t uploaded any source files. Obviously there were no source files to upload.

In any event since it wasn’t going to allow me to deliver the job unless I uploaded something, I uploaded a Word doc. to the effect of … “Thank you for your patronage.”

Now. As I sit here typing this post I remember there actually was a png file that i uploaded to his site. It was a header image I resized to make the banner shorter/ less obtrusive. The work is done and delivered. There was a lot of communication between me and the client.

This order came through Buyer Request but I’m thinking the client in the end clicked my Worpress gig. Not sure.

Have I messed up this order?

Also how should I deliver orders that don’t have any source files?

I just spent 7 days working on a wordpress site for a client. The job was for $50 and 7 days. The scope of the work was all digital i.e. updating and editing his website There was a lot of chasing issues with his paid theme. It was very time consuming. It didn’t produce any files. it was all reconfigureing settings and adding plugins etc. When I tried to deliver the order it wouldn’t let me. Insisting I hadn’t uploaded any source files. Obviously there were no source files to upload.

In any event since it wasn’t going to allow me to deliver the job unless I uploaded something, I uploaded a Word doc. to the effect of … “Thank you for your patronage.”

Now. As I sit here typing this post I remember there actually was a png file that i uploaded to his site. It was a header image I resized to make the banner shorter/ less obtrusive. The work is done and delivered. There was a lot of communication between me and the client.

This order came through Buyer Request but I’m thinking the client in the end clicked my Worpress gig. Not sure.

There are multiple ways of doing it but here’s how I do it.

1. I created a proposal template in Google Docs, which of course I will convert into PDF every time I share it with the client. I keep the docs file for editing later.
  2. In the proposal I have client’s requirements, objectives, project scope, cost, delivery time and agreements.
  3. The client reviews it before ordering. If the client accepts it then I will send them a custom offer for the work that is outlined in the proposal. Additional changes & their cost are explained in the agreements.
  4. Once I complete the work I take the same proposal and add all the work that I did. Screenshots, steps etc. It doesn’t have to be super detailed, but it should be clear what was done compared to the original.
  5. I send it over with the delivery message as an attachment.
  6. If the client requests revisions then I will first check if it falls under the project scope. If it does then I’ll make the changes add the changes to the file and send it over as an attachment.

So basically I document everything from the start and I keep updating the same file.

This way I can always use it as an attachment and if there’s a dispute I have everything documented.

PS. As I understand it was sort of a maintenance work. I would recommend charging per hour.

For example, the buyer orders 1 hour of your time for $50. Everything outside of this hour will require an extra to the existing order. Otherwise even a simple logo switch might turn into 1h job if the backend is buggy or misconfigured.

I recently spent 2 hours on a WordPress installation because the client was running their site on a legacy server from GoDaddy. The script got stuck and I had to contact GoDaddy to reset it. Fortunately I had the hourly agreement so the client paid for my time.

Thanks Guys,

You answers were very helpful.

Archived