Did I Avoid a Scam or Lose a Client?

jamessmith650

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I messaged by someone interested in using my services. We talked and they wanted a custom order so we discussed the requirements, price, and how long it would take to deliver. Before they accept the order, they ask for me to wait so that they can put funds in their account. I comply and wait. Then, they say they have a friend who has a different Fiverr account who will message me and accept the order for this person. This is when I start to get a little bit suspicious. Sure enough, I am messaged by a different person who says they are here to accept the custom order. I tell both accounts that I’m simply not comfortable with having a different account accept the custom order. I felt like there would be too much room for error and confusion. Now I’m wondering, did I avoid a scam or did I just lose a potential client?

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I messaged by someone interested in using my services. We talked and they wanted a custom order so we discussed the requirements, price, and how long it would take to deliver. Before they accept the order, they ask for me to wait so that they can put funds in their account. I comply and wait. Then, they say they have a friend who has a different Fiverr account who will message me and accept the order for this person. This is when I start to get a little bit suspicious. Sure enough, I am messaged by a different person who says they are here to accept the custom order. I tell both accounts that I’m simply not comfortable with having a different account accept the custom order. I felt like there would be too much room for error and confusion. Now I’m wondering, did I avoid a scam or did I just lose a potential client?

Hi @jamessmith650,

I was facing the same situation last week. I remembered that they explicitly interested to work with me, even i proposed a price which is high enough. They even insisted me to send them a custom offer, but i just refused it. I told them that i need sufficient information before proceeding to order. They promised that they will be back and send the information needed for the order - but they never come back 😅

Now I’m wondering, did I avoid a scam or did I just lose a potential client?

I personally think why would buyer need to redirect other buyer (friend) if they are both the stakeholders with the same purpose. Besides, Fiverr doesn’t have a multichat feature, which mean that communication of multiple persons will likely make confusion. I tend to think that some unethical buyers are trying to make a new “get work done for free” method, but it is just my 2 cents :roll_eyes:

Funny enough, I had a similar situation with a client few days. Exactly the same thing.

Fiverr buyers being a faceless body (most times), I think it is difficult to actually gauge people based on what they say. In my own case for instance, before I accepted to doing this, I took several things into consideration. I noted the countries of both accounts were different, asked for the website to have sort of an online face to be sure I knew who I was working with, and she explained her predicament (I guess this last one was just a feeling), and at the end of the day, the whole transaction went well.

What I’m saying is that while this might not be the standard of things, people would be people. Happenstances would always be happenstances. And fraudsters would always be fraudsters. In my case, I took the leap and it worked out just well.

In your case, it might have been an entirely different story altogether. So, I’m indifferent to your question. Generally, not a standard way of doing things but things could be different.

Hi everyone,

Then, they say they have a friend who has a different Fiverr account who will message me and accept the order for this person. This is when I start to get a little bit suspicious. Sure enough, I am messaged by a different person who says they are here to accept the custom order.

Account B cannot accept an offer that was sent to account A, that’s just not possible. Only the receiver of an offer can accept it so, account B has no offer to accept unless you send them one.

Just in case, I would contact CS and tell them what’s going on.

OMG I had this EXACT same thing happen to me. First, a person from a northern European country contacted me and discussed all the order details with me. She gave me all the pertinent information required for the order and was about to place the order with me. Just then, she said she was unable to complete the transaction due to w/e technical reason and then told me that I’d be contacted by her boyfriend (another account). Before I was able to convey my reluctance, I got a message from this person (location: one of the largest countries in Asia 😜 ) asking me to send the custom offer to them.

Apart from the initial “Hi” that I sent to this person (so that it doesn’t affect my response rate %), I never communicated with this person. I told the woman that I was not willing to send a custom offer to the other account since it was with her that I’d discussed all the order details. I then told her that the only solution to this situation was for her to contact CS and get the payment issue sorted out. Finally, after 2 hours or so, she placed the order with me.

She turned out to be a wonderful client… She not only tipped me but also hasn’t charged me back… yet 😜

In your case, it might have been an entirely different story altogether. So, I’m indifferent to your question. Generally, not a standard way of doing things but things could be different.

https://www.fiverr.com/abbaskazm/create-any-sized-in-2-banner-ad

Putting your link in your reply is spam and will get you into trouble with the moderators.

https://forum.fiverr.com/t/forum-rules-dos-and-donts/

Archived