Difficult Buyers - Tips

Title says it all really. Let off some steam 99% of my buyers are amazing - but this is a thread for that 1%. I’m not one to bitch and moan, but if we could keep this as constructive tips to help people deal with a buyer being difficult?

My first tip - if a buyer riles you, don’t fire off that angry response. Leave it for an hour, cool off then reply.

It’s so easy to feel allllll alone on Fiverr, would be good if we help each other out :slight_smile:

Here’s a one word tip for difficult buyers…

NEXT.

Give a refund, give a bribe, give a referral, do whatever you can and Give it OVER to your next sale.

As my Papa says, “Don’t wrestle with a pig…the pig likes it and you get muddy.”

@MadMoo, I Rated you because that’s so true. In fact, sometimes it’s wise to actually say, "If you’re having a bad day, I can empathize, …sometimes, when I have a bad day it creeps into everything I do…and I can feel badly about it. Can we take a step back, because even if you’re having a great day, I don’t want to have a bad one over this misunderstanding."

It’s an indirect call back that takes ownership.

Of course, anything that can be misunderstood will be and someone will find that “sarcastic” or what not. But, it is a good phrase for me.

True @MadMoo Being overly nice definitely works 99% of the time for me and a lot of the time buyers just haven’t understood something properly or they’ve realised they’ve overreacted or they’re just having a bad day! We all get them :slight_smile:

try to explain with honest

when they still angry ~X(

give them refund

they don’t need our service :-q

don’t reduce your rating

coz fool’s buyer

Honestkr, how did you make the faces. There is one where you’re pulling out hair and another where you’re putting a thumb in the eye and then down.

Also, @OldBittyGrandma, I rated you for solid encouragement.

You often forget a kind smile but you’ll remember a slap in the face forever (or almost ever).

Yes, I’d agree there’s only a small populace on fiverr that seems to give us a bad day or a hard time, but BOY, do those days and users STICK.

It really does take only 1 incredibly mean, rude and overly demanding buyer to give us a bad day. I’ve tried my best to be polite to each and every buyer and there are always a few that just seem to have it out for you no matter how you treat them.

I know $5 is a lot to many people - all sellers know this - but I wish all buyers were fair as well. We are still doing the work and a buyer changing ones mind or having a ‘client’ who does so is no excuse to be plain mean.

When in doubt, refund the buyer… or contact support.

FIVERR SUPPORT IS SUPER EFFECTIVE! =D>

With abrasive buyers I try to have a 5 message limit. If they continue to be demanding and just above and beyond the call of rude after that, I just tap the block/report button. I’ve also found that linking them to the Graphic Artist’s Guild price sheet changes a lot of tunes reallllllllyyyyyyyyy quickly XD.

@anarchofigher

I like this “As my Papa says, “Don’t wrestle with a pig…the pig likes it and you get muddy.””

Help them even if they want the world from you. explain that this is not what your gig is and offer them alternatives.

Hahaha, My thumbs up has a -1 on it? I wonder what happened there :slight_smile:

The best satisfaction from a hard to deal with buyer is ending up with removing their negative comment and replaced with a positive one. But it does take patience and a lot of nice worded explainations and always apologise first.

I generally just walk away…Whether literally or the online equivalent. Generally, I first try to let them know that I understand their frustrations and I am open to possibly making edits. If that doesn’t work, I’ll usually do the refund because putting up with people’s temper tantrums isn’t worth the few bucks I’m getting out of it. I think I only had to report/ban one guy who just wouldn’t quit.

For me what happens is I complete the tree and deliver the product, the client will come back and want to know siblings of a relative or to have me do more research. What i usually reply back to them is my goal is to start the family tree for them, get them into conversation with their family members and direct them to my colleagues at the Association of Professional Genealogists. I always like to be nice and polite and try not to build up too much steam. If I find myself getting really worked up I step away from the computer and cool off.

Reply to @idesigners: Love the quote. Never heard that one.

Def best to just do the job despite their attitude. We’ve all had a fast food moment when we weren’t the best customer. I don’t think any of my buyers are bad, maybe just having a bad day.

(Now the ones that don’t read the gig requirements, that’s another story.)

At my day job we just had customer service training and I took it to heart using that knowledge for my clients from my family tree gig.

I have really looked at my offerings and spent time trying to be as clear as possible. I also have begun adding a paragraph when I deliver the work, asking them to leave me positive feedback if they are completely satisfied and if not, before they consider leaving negative feedback, to please contact me and I will try my best to make them happy. Short of that, it’s all I can do. If someone is just unreasonable, I keep smiling as I try to write the nicest response I can imagine.

I have worked retail and customer service over the phone for years and the best advise I ever got was at my second job. I must have been 18 or 19…some man chewed me out over a price …no reason screaming etc…I had the superviser tell me…just pretend like you are stupid and don’t understand that they are being a fraggesl rock…it pisses them off more. dont let him ruin your day…

I have worked retail and customer service over the phone for years and the best advise I ever got was at my second job. I must have been 18 or 19…some man chewed me out over a price …no reason screaming etc…I had the superviser tell me…just pretend like you are stupid and don’t understand that they are being a fraggesl rock…it pisses them off more. dont let him ruin your day…