Fiverr Forum

Disappointing rating on my first order

So after completing my very first order after waiting for 25 days to get one, I got 3 stars.

I sent a custom offer to a buyer who requested to have a few social media graphics designed. I priced it at half of what she was offering, added free extras, and delivered the output way earlier than the expected delivery time.

The problem was, there weren’t any instructions from her about how she wanted the images to be aside from it being supposed to be “simple”. She went offline after that and never came back until an hour before the deadline.

Taking inspiration from the single photo she sent in, I designed the images around that theme and delivered them. I expected revisions since I did not have any clue as to what she wanted and I thought maybe sending some initial images in could trigger her to give me any comment at all.

I delivered the images 8 hours before the deadline and received no answer from her. I saw her status go online an hour before the deadline so I waited. Still no reply.

When I woke up the next day, there was a revision request from her. Good. I can finally work with something here. She was bound to leave comments, right?

Well, not really. She seemed really enthusiastic about the images, thanking me for them and asking for a very minor font change on a few texts. No other comments, no other complaints. I did as she asked (I even made additional images for her for free) and delivered immediately.

Again I did not hear from her anymore.

Until just a couple of hours ago when I finally got a notification that I received a rating from her. Exciting! From her one and only reply during the entire order process she seemed really happy, so I gave her a 5-star rating (my fault–I should have been real and gave her lower, but she was my first buyer and I wanted to start selling on Fiverr on the right foot).

She gave me a 3. Said I didn’t communicate with her.

I felt like I was rated unfairly. I worked with what little information she gave me, I received no replies from her aside from that one revision request despite me giving her updates every step of the way. I have been sending in drafts and got no feedback whatsoever.

What can I do about this? I guess I should move on, but I want to know what I did wrong to deserve such a rating so that I could improve next time. Would you guys recommend that I contact her?

I have been reading horror stories about buyers here on Fiverr but I never expected to get one on my first order! Way to boost morale. :frowning:

3 Likes

Don’t contact the buyer about the rating as you risk getting a warning from Fiverr if you ask about the rating.

If you wanted more input from the buyer or the buyer thought communication was an issue you could do things like use a message thanking for the order as soon as you can after the order is received and checked. If you don’t receive everything you need there’s a quick response for that that you could edit. ie. you could ask for more input about what they require if you didn’t already. When you deliver you could let them know they can ask for revisions if required. If there are some things you always need from the gig you could make sure those are set to “mandatory” so the order won’t start until something is put there (though it doesn’t stop people from putting anything there really).

7 Likes

Just leave it and move on. Contacting her could result in you getting a warning.

There have been many forum posts about getting a warning for this.

7 Likes

@ayensamson yes this is not fair with you, when you get to order first you check all information is clear then you just accept the offer, but some buyer doing the same thing, really bad for as a beginner, now you start new journey then no problem 3 star

2 Likes

Thanks! I guess I won’t contact her anymore.

My gig requirements were already asking for some pretty detailed information so that I could work on the project without bugging the buyer too much, but her answers were mostly “-” or “N/A”.

Now I don’t know if anybody would be interested in getting my services anymore once they see a single 3-star rating on my profile. :frowning:

1 Like

It’s possible that increasing the number of revisions allowed from 1 to 2 might also help on the basic package. eg. if the buyer wasn’t totally happy about some part of the revised delivery but knew they had no more revisions left after the 1 that was used they might leave a lower rating, but 1 more revision could allow it to be exactly what the buyer wanted if it wasn’t already.

2 Likes

Kindly forget about that and move on.
Try your best on your next order
I wish you best of luck

4 Likes

Thanks! Glad I ranted here first before sending her a message.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m really bummed out about this.

1 Like

I actually gave her unlimited revisions in my custom order. :confused: But I’ll take your advice and edit my other gigs. Thanks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A thing you could do is to leave a comment on the buyer’s review explaining your side of the story so new buyers can better understand the situation. Just be polite when doing it.

10 Likes

Thank you! I really have to work extra hard to get my next order now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really wanted to do that but I’m still on the fence about it. On one hand, I wanted to defend myself (politely). On the other, I don’t want to seem like the defensive type to new buyers as it might turn them off. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sad story! I wish you to be able to forget the pain and move on happily with your next buyers but…keep the lesson as it is valuable. Since you ask, I would say that what you did wrong is that you lowered your price too much with no reason and overdelivered way too much! This way she did not respect you as a professional I guess.

Of course, as others have also written, according to Fiverr TOS sellers must not contact buyers about their rating.

About your rating, please don’t regret it. You were generous and kind, that’s all. You are the “good guy” in the story, she was probably not :slight_smile:

All the best with your next sales! And please never underestimate your services. Buyers will apreciate more than you imagine a seller who sells at a reasonable price.

2 Likes

If I were you I would try to explain my side in an objective way, stating that you did your best with the little information the buyer gave you and that it’s unfortunate that they didn’t like it despite your efforts to better understand their needs. But I do understand why you are on the fence about it, however, I think it is worth the shot.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words! I will take all your advice to heart. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That actually sounds pretty safe. If you’ll allow me to use your statement as my defense, I’d appreciate it a lot. :slight_smile:

Of course, feel free to use it!

1 Like

Best wishes! You will make it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dont start working on something without the instructions you require. Doing so only results in problems.
A buyer who doesn’t bother putting in instructions is asking for trouble but they will never see it as their fault.

Sometimes too many requirements can be an issue. It might be better to simplify them somewhat and also say that you will need to contact them during the order. I even have a suggestion that buyers get the Fiverr app to ensure they get notified if I have a question.
Once you have done all of that, communication on almost every order should be as follows:

1. Initially thanking for the order and saying whether or not you have the requirements to complete it.
  2. With anything over 2-3 days you can give an update at some point.
  3. Delivery message explaining the work and pointing out how you have fulfilled their requirements.

Doing this may seem like overkill for some gigs but it basically guarantees 5 stars for communication and should also encourage the buyer to be specific about revisions (as you have explained the reasons for what you have done).

13 Likes