Fiverr Community Forum

Disputes need to change!

Hi guys,

I really do love your site and have been happy to sell my services on it.

I have however noticed a number of issues with the way your system records disputes, etc.

It seems that your disputes system is unfair for the seller, and in fact tarnishes accounts with not much sense to it.

I have had two orders recently, both from buyers who had made mistakes and no longer wanted the order. To go with the buyer’s wishes, and to make our communication easy, friendly, and amicable, I cancelled the orders.

The reasons for the cancellation request sent by the buyer went as follow:

Order #FO272FB27D02
“Hi! I’m very sorry, but I have to cancel this. I kind of jumped the gun and can’t really learn at the moment, sorry.”

Order #FO819237B2BE6
Hey Parvez, not sure if my messages yesterday went through… I was going to ask you for help in setting up a hyperlink in TutorCruncher but I actually figured it out on my own. Is it ok if we cancel this one? Would that hurt your rating on fiverr? If it would hurt your rating, then let’s go ahead and do a session tomorrow, I’m sure I can come up with something to ask you. If it doesn’t hurt you, then I’ll request a cancellation. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks!

In both situations, I honoured what seemed to be the best customer service for the buyers, but this impacted me negatively. Why is that? Is it an automated mistake, or something planned? It is incredibly unfair and I can’t see the logic or incentive behind it.

My order completion has now gone to 97%. I’m wondering by which method I could request for this to be looked into by one of your tech teams or whoever deals with analytics/orders/etc.

I imagine lots of other sellers are dealing with this problem, and we are your staff in essence!

Please look after us :slight_smile:

Best regards,

IndustryDesigns

6 Likes

It is intentional. Fiverr started penalizing sellers for ALL cancellations – of any kind, because sellers had started cancelling orders on a frequent basis in order to avoid bad reviews. This was manipulative of their system, and had to be stopped. It appears that Fiverr wants to change that mentality, and wants encourage sellers to both work things out with buyers. They don’t want cancellations to be a way to avoid reviews.

You can thank the sellers who were manipulating the cancellation feature for this change. It does, however, appear to be a fair course of action to encourage the mindset Fiverr wants its sellers to have. This policy is fairly applied to everyone – as it should be.

This is not bad. It will rise again after 60 days, or as you complete more orders.

Customer Support is not likely to change these metrics for you, since these metrics are operating as intended. You agreed to cancel two orders. There is no wrong-doing that needs to be looked into.

This isn’t a problem; it is as Fiverr intends it. In the future, you may find it beneficial to try to work out a resolution with the buyer instead of going straight to cancellation. In the end, though, this is only a temporary metrics issue. These cancellations will only affect your metrics for the next 60 days, then they will drop off, and your order completion rating could return to 100%.

9 Likes

Hi, you shouldn’t have cancelled the second one! The idea is to avoid any cancellation you possibly can and that buyer was incredibly nice and willing to not cancel.

As jonbaas said, a rating of 97% isn’t anything to worry about.

4 Likes

I understand the point behind trying to stop sellers gaming the system. When a buyer places an order “by mistake”, however, there’s no manipulation going on. When it’s clearly the buyers fault, the cancelation should not count towards cancelation rate. It’s very unfair that it does. I deliver less than 10 orders every 60 days - a single cancelation would drop me a level instantly. Fortunately I have been able to get CS to cancel orders without it affecting my cancelation rate at all whenever I can’t work things out with the buyer, but sellers who are not TRS or Pro won’t be so lucky.

7 Likes

Fiverr did this intentionally, and it kind of makes sense as sellers started to just cancel the order if the buyer was going to leave a bad review. In the end, try to find solutions with your buyer. The buyers that you’ve provided with in this post seem nice and understandable. Maybe tell them that it’ll have an effect on the seller rating and such, maybe they’ll understand and maybe both you and the buyer will reach to a solution.

I am not a PRO or a TRS, yet when I have had a good reason to cancel CS has helped me cancel orders without it affecting my stats.

7 Likes

Not really related to the topic but how do you feel about the term “dispute”?
I don’t have many cancellation requests, most of the time it is time extension request.
As a non-native English speaker, it freaks me out whenever I saw the message “xxx opened a dispute regarding your order” in my emails.

Should it be changed to something more positive, like “request” or “inquiry”?

3 Likes

I suppose the question to ask then, is, how would Fiverr know there’s no manipulation at work. Bad buyers have many creative ways to try and get what they want. How would Fiverr know the true intentions of a buyer? If they start making exceptions for one thing, and not another, they frustrate their seller base even more, and leads to other considerations. A blanket rule, that applies to everyone – and every cancellation – is the best, most non-favorable-to-one-person-over-another way to go.

I’m sure there are special considerations, but they seem to be few and far between.

Perhaps this is Fiverr’s way of encouraging those sellers to take responsibility for their success, and find ways to have more than 10 orders every 60 days. More orders = less damage from one cancellation.

EDIT above… “sellers”, not “buyers”.

It depends on the CS agent you get. I’ve had times when they wouldn’t cancel without it affecting my stats. They just say any cancellation is going to affect your completion rate.

Hey everyone,

There are some valid points this this discussion, however I still find it strange that even when a buyer requests a cancellation, it affects the seller.

If there were previous manipulations by sellers to avoid receiving a negative rating, I can only assume this would be a cancellation on the seller’s side, not the buyer’s, otherwise, that would presume that the buyers were complicit in the manipulation?

I agree with misscrystal that the second buyer could have not been a cancellation - however it’s frustrating that I need to compromise my customer service in order to cater for a system which doesn’t particularly work properly.

To me, a company which can help it’s customers resolve issues the way they see best, offer the best customer service. The second order I cancelled, he was very friendly, however I wanted to meet his preference of cancelling the order - not make him feel trapped in an order as a way to not hurt my rating.

This morning, another guy needed to cancel. This was because he made an order with me, and then received a warning by fiverr because he kept trying to share personal details. In his anger with Fiverr, he has decided he can’t trust the platform, and wants to cancel the order. Again, I COULD try to make him stay and do the order with me; I could use my skills of persuasion to try and trap buyer’s into gigs they don’t want; I could even straight out deny for a cancellation, force him to take a lesson with me and request the money once done - however none of this seems very modern nor professional.

This is the new order:
Client
“hello”
“there is issue i need to ralk”
“i need to speak to you as ap”
“i hello bro i need to speak toyou”

Me
Hello, what’s up?

Client
“bro i receive email from fiverr complining warning that i ask personal info somewhere thatwas second warning ome now”
“im not sure what i can learn in 1 hour from you”
“im confused really confused”
“and iyou refused to bei contact out of fiver as well”
“Yeh, fiverr are quite strict with personal information.”
“i need cheap and some really trusted”
“here as it fivver behave , than why shouldi trust fiverr ?”

Me
“I can’t speak for fiverr, it’s their rules! :man_shrugging:t4:
“However in the hour we had planned we had agreed to get through the set up of your site plus divi installation”
“And then a brief tutorial on how to use divi”

Client
“so i need to cancel this i dont have much money and im a dummy i only watedbecaouse you would help me out of fiver forlonger period to complemy project but it is not gone happen i understand so”
“so its to espensive forme just to take uncoplte course”

Me
“Okay no worries! Send over the cancellation request.”

Client
“how do i do ?
Click on the order, go to the disputes center, request cancellation.
sorry bro
can you tell me how to cancel plez?
are you ther?
hello help me how to cancel and get my cash back?”

Me
https://buyers.fiverr.com/en/article/order-cancellation
Please follow these instructions offered by fiverr.”

This is the full conversation up until now. He hasn’t figured out how to cancel yet, but I don’t see how I could prevent this, or otherwise? The cancellation will be on the buyer’s side, which means no manipulation from me (if anything - I’d rather people didn’t cancel - it wastes my money and time!) - but I am going to take another hit on my order completion rate.

I know that you say 97% is fine - and after this one, maybe 96% will be fine. But I’m not writing out of anger - I just think this is something which needs to be looked into and corrected, as it is non-sensical, and there is surely a better strategy for dealing with said issues.

In response to some comments:

Fiverr did this intentionally, and it kind of makes sense as sellers started to just cancel the order if the buyer was going to leave a bad review. In the end, try to find solutions with your buyer. The buyers that you’ve provided with in this post seem nice and understandable. Maybe tell them that it’ll have an effect on the seller rating and such, maybe they’ll understand and maybe both you and the buyer will reach to a solution.

To have to appeal to buyers to take into consideration my seller rating as a way to rope them into continuing a gig they don’t want to pay for seems very unprofessional, and almost like emotional blackmail.

Hi, you shouldn’t have cancelled the second one! The idea is to avoid any cancellation you possibly can and that buyer was incredibly nice and willing to not cancel.

As jonbaas said, a rating of 97% isn’t anything to worry about.

90%+ isn’t bad, no, however this doesn’t detract from how fair or unfair a system is! Also, I could have kept the second guy on for a job he didn’t particularly want, just for him to make sure I didn’t get a blemish on my fiverr stats - is that how business should operate though? Also, what about the other 2 buyer’s or at least, the most recent one in this reply?

I suppose the question to ask then, is, how would Fiverr know there’s no manipulation at work. Bad buyers have many creative ways to try and get what they want. How would Fiverr know the true intentions of a buyer?

To me it seems like simple logic? If the buyer cancels - affect them negatively.
If a seller cancels - affect them negatively.

Or alternatively - create a disputes center, where seller’s can properly chat to fiverr staff to resolve issues out of their control. I’m sure fiverr have enough money for an adequate support team in this respect.

You are thinking of this all wrong. You would not be “trapping buyers into gigs they don’t want.” you can’t force them to do things they don’t want to do. And simple communication is not forcing anyone to do anything.

You need to realize you are a salesperson and learn that communicating in a reasonable honest way is not “trapping” someone. Of course if they insist then you agree to what they want. But do use simple communication as a way to problem solve with your clients. It usually results in a win/win situation.

1 Like

I would contact CS and explain the person cannot communicate well enough in English to make the order work and also he keeps insisting that you talk outside of fiverr.

Based on that last point there is no way you should be penalized for this.

Several months ago I had a client who only spoke Spanish and I contacted customer support thinking based on that they would let me cancel it without a penalty but they did not. I was told it would count against me if I cancelled.

But in the case you describe this buyer is impossible to work with.

2 Likes

A client saying they ordered by mistake, or they “regret it now” should be reason enough to cancel without a hit to stats. If that’s the case, then I have no problem with the system. That doesn’t seem to be the case for a lot of people.

That would open abuse from sellers stating every order was made by mistake.

2 Likes

No, it wouldn’t. Read what I said. the client saying he ordered by mistake. The client requesting the cancelation.

That would open abuse from sellers stating every order was made by mistake.

Thanks for the input, the parameters I am trying to work within though is when a buyer is requesting a cancellation, and the buyer is in fact stating this themselves.

1 Like

I remember the last buyer who said that to me, that they changed their mind after ordering, I opened a dialog with and they changed their mind and decided to go along with it and thanked me for explaining and helping them.

Your client is asking you to break the rules however and that’s why he wants to cancel so you should be allowed to. I think the fact he keeps getting warnings about sharing his personal info with you would be enough to allow you to cancel it without a penalty.

You don’t have to worry about your completion rate unless it gets down to near 90%.

I remember the last buyer who said that to me, I opened a dialog with and they changed their mind and decided to go along with it and thanked me for explaining and helping them.

Hey Crystal,

Using your expertise to offer a client consultation as to why the service will be good for them is great. However, what if they simply don’t want the service? There will be times where a cancellation is necessary.

My main point is that, in these cases, the seller should not be penalised.

We are workers of Fiverr, and should be treated with trust instead of mistrust, first and foremost, and also fairness.

If a buyer wants to cancel - and they request to do so - surely it should follow that you can allow them to without risk of penalisation, or without the need to sacrifice ethos on customer service.

Take Amazon, for instance, if you want a refund, a return, to cancel a product, etc, their strategy is not to persuade you as to why you need the product or should pay for it.

I completely get your points and agree there can often be resolutions. My aim here isn’t to solely complain, but to bring about a discussion for a better system. This current system has some perks, but some major cons too. There is definitely several ways to make it more fair on both ends.

As suggested:

1. A dispute center managed by Fiverr (more expensive for them, but a good investment in the platform - other big companies do this)
  2. When a client cancels - a client is penalised
  3. When a seller cancels - a seller is penalised

I’m sure there could be better suggestions - as a community, and with this business, I’m sure some progress can be made.

My current qualms are that many times it is clear that there is no manipulation by the seller. A buyer may want to cancel. I believe it should be on the buyer if they want to cancel, and not the seller’s job to persuade them/advice them otherwise. I understand you disagree with me on this point, however. At the base though, even if you try to persuade them to continue with the gig, and cannot, should you really be penalised?

This sounds like a system created to make it harder for some sellers who were manipulating the system to avoid bad reviews.

I have 100% 5* reviews, always give my all to my clients, go above and beyond, and rarely get cancellations. (I’ve had 3 in over 100 orders I guess?)

This system however, is not fair or fit for purpose for those sellers who are good, honest, workers. This isn’t to say it is disastrous or ruins your ability to sell on the platform - it just leaves a bad taste, which is never a good thing.

Me having cancellations has not affected my levels, my clients, or my work - however, I am aware it isn’t the best strategy.

1 Like

Agreed 100%. And to all the people saying “just take the cancelation, dropping to 97% is not a big deal” - not all sellers are volume sellers. If you sell just one gig for 10k a month, a cancelation will wreck your stats. If you had absolutely no input in that cancelation, there’s nothing you can do - you’ll get demoted. And yet you are making Fiverr a boatload of money in commission.

2 Likes

I don’t have experience except one time when the client was adamant about not wanting the service after ordering. The other few times they were glad I talked them out of it.

We are allowed to have 10% of our orders cancelled every 60 days penalty free.

I also don’t like the idea that if I get sick or have an emergency it might happen due to that that I get demoted! I asked customer support if that could happen and they said yes. Even if you are in the hospital and cannot get orders, and your order volume drops due to that you would get demoted if you have any cancellations in the past 60 days.

Keeping up a certain number of orders continuously is part of what fiverr requires. Like it or not.