Distractions: Positive vs. Negative

writer99025

I care a bit too much about politics/Twitter etc. I know @misscrystal cares about politics a little too much too. I think this is a negative distraction and is hurting my productivity.

A positive distraction would be working out like @damooch916 does, taking the dog out for a walk as @cyaxrex does or spending time with kids as @eoinfinnegan does. Even watching football is a positive distraction.

I wanted to do 20 articles today, but could manage only 10 because I spent too much time worrying about politics, following Twitter. Have to change that. No more of that.

[Just to add to that - Your distractions should be something you can control, where you have an active involvement, like the 3 cases I mentioned above. It should not be something where you are nothing more than a passive consumer, such as getting outraged about the latest Twitter trends or worrying about politics. That is negative as you can’t control that, you can’t control how other people, hundreds of millions of them, think/feel/vote. I know I always talk a good talk, but I have to start walking the walk and follow my own great advice for once.]

I think you are mixing up the words “care” and “worry”.
When you really care about something you take positive action.
When you worry about something, you tend to just wallow in negativity desperately wishing for things to change.

If you care about politics then be active about it - Twitter arguments is not being active about it.
Get involved with a party, in person, not by throwing money at it. That would be a positive action.

Or have some kids, whichever is more appealing…

I think you are mixing up the words “care” and “worry”.

When you really care about something you take positive action.

When you worry about something, you tend to just wallow in negativity desperately wishing for things to change.

If you care about politics then be active about it - Twitter arguments is not being active about it.

Get involved with a party, in person, not by throwing money at it. That would be a positive action.

Agree with you! Forget getting involved with a party, I need to start voting first. I have voted just once in my life, back in 2003. Been too lazy to get a voter’s ID card and get my name registered on the voter’s list as that requires a visit to the local government office. LOL.

Too selfish, self-centered for that.

Agree with you! Forget getting involved with a party, I need to start voting first. I have voted just once in my life, back in 2003. Been too lazy to get a voter’s ID card and get my name registered on the voter’s list as that requires a visit to the local government office. LOL.

I need to start voting first

Why not multiply the effect of your vote by campaigning?

Get a cat instead, they will be as indifferent to you as you are to them but they will also knock stuff over which keeps you active in cleaning up.

Actually, get rid of the cleaner and cook - that will make a huge change. No time to waste on Twitter when you need to eat and clean. You can’t live on eggs though, ok?

Get a cat instead, they will be as indifferent to you as you are to them but they will also knock stuff over which keeps you active in cleaning up.

Actually, get rid of the cleaner and cook - that will make a huge change. No time to waste on Twitter when you need to eat and clean. You can’t live on eggs though, ok?

Are you kidding me? [You know the promotions I do on Fiverr Forum for PM Modi. That is the only campaigning I have done or will do in the future.]

Hahaha. No thanks, my laptop is fine. If I get bored with my laptop, there’s my Kindle.

Hahahaha…Nope.

Are you kidding me? [You know the promotions I do on Fiverr Forum for PM Modi. That is the only campaigning I have done or will do in the future.]

Hahaha. No thanks, my laptop is fine. If I get bored with my laptop, there’s my Kindle.

Hahahaha…Nope.

Are you kidding me?

You don’t really care about politics - you just worry.

Hahahaha…Nope.

I think the cleaner and cook suggestion is going to be my go-to comment for you in 2018. Getting rid of them will be the answer to everything. Get rid of the gardener too and that will solve your need to work-out.

Are you kidding me?

Hahahaha…Nope.

I think the cleaner and cook suggestion is going to be my go-to comment for you in 2018. Getting rid of them will be the answer to everything. Get rid of the gardener too and that will solve your need to work-out.

Man, you totally understand me. LOL.

I’m gonna start early

I’m gonna start early

What? Think about the cleaner and the cook and their families - I can’t make them unemployed for my selfish reasons. That is not fair to them.

What? Think about the cleaner and the cook and their families - I can’t make them unemployed for my selfish reasons. That is not fair to them.

You made them employed for your selfish reasons so what’s the problem?

Alternatively, for my plan to work you don’t need to stop paying them, you just need to stop having them do stuff for you.

You made them employed for your selfish reasons so what’s the problem?

Alternatively, for my plan to work you don’t need to stop paying them, you just need to stop having them do stuff for you.

Eoin, seriously not happening. Cook/cleaner/gardener stay. Will follow the rest of the advice - except no campaigning or involvement in politics, no cats, no children. Will stop worrying about politics though.

By focusing on my articles and exercise. [And worrying about my TRS status - nice motivation]

Do you know how many times you’ve said this? Instead, how about volunteering to help poor people? I volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and it was a workout and an unselfish distraction.

I am leaving this comment in case it’s already been read, and I don’t want to be flagged for disruptive deletion. I see signs that this thread, tags, and responses are not well received so I am withdrawing from participating.

Writer, you’re burning out. You have over 30 orders in queue, you still price yourself at $5, you are constantly busy and because of this, your ‘distractions’ are not distractions. Being distracted by politics (or whatever) is your brain saying, “Writer, can we just take some time out here and do something/write something that we actually want to?”

I have 2 pretty much full time writing jobs at present, both of which involve writing about things I actually want to. What is more, I’m slaughtering orders on Fiverr by just deciding that I’ve had enough grief and started telling people to take a hike. At yet I end up increasing my average selling price and making more money!

Here’s a secret you might not like. A good writer doesn’t write 20 articles a day or even 10. I’m not saying a good writer can’t do that. I’m saying that a real writer writes 1 or 2 articles a day which they pump with research, tweak with catchy taglines, and actually SEO optimize.

I can not believe that anyone could be happy waking up to write 10 or 20 articles every day for what is essentially a handful of peppercorns. Clear the orders you have in queue, take a breather, and stop working from the point of view that you are providing something like a public service to people who are your friends who you are helping out because they are a bit hard up.

Friends don’t mentally exhaust each other. You have proved your value as a seller on Fiverr countless times now and apparently don’t even need to be here for financial reasons. Break the mold that has got you this far and start putting your blooming energy into drawing up plans for a new chapter in your career.

Keep writing. But if you are so passionate about Indian politics, start also contributing articles FOC to relevant blogs and news sites, or create your own platform.

I need to start voting first. I have voted just once in my life, back in 2003.

OMG, so many people do not even have the right to vote! 😮 (Many years ago, more than you have lived I would bet.)

Archived