Fiverr Community Forum

Ditched by four clients in one month

Hi, I haven’t been in this forum for week. I just wanna say thank you to the clients who actually fulfilled their promises for long-term cooperation, and I am also here to discuss those who failed to do so. By the way, I do video subtitles and data entry gigs.
Around end of October/early November, there had been four clients who found me and discussed for possible long-term cooperation. While the two of them actually explained why they couldn’t use my services (found better option/the restriction on the system that the client wanting to post videos on), the other two DID NOT REPLY ME after I had been asking why there aren’t any news coming from them yet. Complete gone, WHOOSH.
For every buyers out there, please don’t make Fiverr a bad place by making sellers not trusting your words. Tell them WHAT HAPPENED and be sure to reject the sellers if you don’t need their services anymore, instead of leaving them hanging. This is common sense, guys.

5 Likes

I hate, hate vomit Ghosting: It is a tiny world and if you are a jerk and ghost someone, they will remember you for being gutless and unprofessional. If you have changed your mind or circumstances, be polite about it lest it comes back to bite you later.

@mooninya I think the sad reality is that these sorts of people don’t know how silly they are so while it is a total PITA, it is also a blessing in disguise that you didn’t get saddled with their cluelessness in a paid situation where their bad skills/manners could really rebound on you.

Don’t think of these people as Clients, not even as Prospects. When I sold cars I called them non-buyers. Sitting there telling me how important a buyer they were and needed more, counted for nothing until they proved that they were a buyer. No deposit on the table = not a buyer - merely another foolish wannabe showing how irrelevant they were. As Reverend Ike used to say “Money talks, BS walks”.

Ghosting = Red Flag #1.

:slight_smile:

I thought people knew that if someone was offering promises of lots of work in the future they’re not the kind of client anyone needs or wants?

Carrot dangling = red flag.

Clients who say “we have lots of long term work” / “we’ll give you lots of work in the future” etc are usually liars who should be avoided.

Not having blind faith, not trusting people, not taking things on face value, not falling for stupid BS lies from buyers about repeat business: that’s common sense.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, I checked your VO gig which claims “studio quality”.

How can you make sure a claim when there’s a low frequency background hum on your recordings?

@voiceoverandy is correct. In my experience - nearly 8 years on Fiverr now - any buyer who talks about a “longterm collaboration” (and it’s usually in their opening message) is often talking absolute nonsense. It is a massive warning sign that they are the sort of person I don’t want to work with.

Nowadays I always tell these people that “I’m too busy” to work with them. At best they are fantasists or have a massive ego. At worst they are scammers or just not very nice. Either way I have no intention of working with them.

And as @voiceoverandy has rightly said, the promise of longterm work is simply a way to try and get you to work cheaply on the first (and only!) order. Again, it’s not a nice way to do business as they’re trying to pay below your rate. Have some pride and ignore such people.

4 Likes

There is minimal loyalty between buyer and seller on fiver.

Remember, the buyer doesn’t owe you anything, and doing 2 or 3 jobs doesn’t mean you really have a relationship. Yes it would be polite for them to reply but to be honest you are probably just one of many sellers they use.

Some sellers now message me every week saying ‘any new work for me?’ It get’s frustrating constantly replying saying ‘no’ so I choose to ignore them if they persist.

3 Likes

One of the supposed YouTube Fiverr gurus posted a video saying they message buyers at set intervals which I’m sure contributes to this.

A great way to get ignored. Red flag for stalker / desperate behaviour.

If someone is that great as a vendor they don’t need to market that hard: they’d have that many repeat customers they’d be too busy to send out what is essentially spam.

Folks should aim to do the job well enough to be front of mind when a client has that need.

It amazes me how so many people here miss the “business” aspect of running a freelance business.

@english_voice “I’m too busy” is the best attitude to take, I’ve known so many to try it on over the years I’m cold to it now.

The portfolio of brands I said no to means more to me than the ones I said yes to.

In a past life people as diverse as Nintendo and NASA, Stanford and Shrek were using my code, but I said no to the US Military using it, declined the opportunity to write a digital delivery platform for Vogue, and once turned down working on a University degree course with M.I.T. and others.

Not bad for a high school drop out with zero formal qualifications.

I was playing peak game back then, and the massive burn out which followed involved giving up everything and moving to an island in the sun, a long long way away from the UK till I got bored of the Atlantic, a near perfect climate and palm trees, then came back, then went back, then came back, then went to another island, then came back…

The fun and games of life and business eh?

1 Like

Exactly.

The only reason people say this is to exploit you.

2 Likes

I get ditched a lot, too, but instead of waiting for a response, I just archive a client’s message stream after two weeks. Most people who don’t answer within that time frame will not come back. Some will, and then you can just pick up right where you left off (I once had a buyer come back 8 months later, and we both pretended nothing happened, lol).

It’s not professional to say nothing, but it’s also not something anyone is (or ever should be) required to do. Take silence as a buyer’s response that they don’t want to work with you anymore. And be careful not to message any further so that they don’t flag you for spam.

Long term work is very rare, though I’m blessed to get a lot of it due to the kind of services I sell and caliber of buyer I most often work with; most of my clients are corporate or have a lot of disposable income, and standard novels take at least 2 months, so we almost always have to do multiple orders.

Don’t let it bother you too much and just keep rolling.

2 Likes

I had three ‘supposed’ buyers ghost me too this month. While it’s cool to say they don’t owe me anything, it sucks. Really. I mean they contacted me in the first place, even had follow up questions and then nothing.

What really drives me nuts is buyers who message me asking how much x words will cost… and then disappear. I get it, they found someone cheaper and it’s all good, but why are they wasting both my time and theirs by messaging me when they could simply insert the number of words on my profile, see the price automatically and then be disappointed and leave?

It really annoys me because it always sounds like they are looking for a discount by messaging me first. I really don’t get it. Oh well.

2 Likes

Low rates attract cheapos. They know you’re lowballing yourself and message you to see if that will prompt you to lowball yourself even further. They know who they can hustle and who they can’t.

But that’s the thing. I’m already one of the most expensive VO artists in my language/accent. It’s like they don’t even read what we write, I don’t know…

Higher than your competitors doesn’t mean you are expensive and aren’t lowballing yourself.

People who charge less here probably get these problematic inquiries even more.

True… but if I charged on Fiverr what I charge on the VO market I would not get any buyers. On here I am much more aware of the competition than in the “real world” because here each person sets their own prices, while in the VO market the studios follow minimum standard rates. But I digress, thanks for listening :wink:

This wouldn’t necessarily be the case if you added special valuable scope to your gigs that your competitors didn’t have but your audience wanted. That’s inherently more lucrative if you are attracting people who understand ROI.

I like to believe that’s already happening, because until recently I was afraid of setting higher prices but I’ve been steadily doing it and the orders never stop. Which means some buyers do value unique characteristics instead of just looking at the price. But I understand what you are saying.

I meant different scope (what you include in the deliverables), but yes that, too.