Do all customers expect "custom offers" nowadays?

tonjesorum

I do translations, and I´ve noticed I barely ever get orders through normal procedure anymore… Everyone contacts me via messages asking me to “look at their documents” and give them a custom offer. I tell them “my price is 5$ per 500 words, and yes, I do translate from that language you´ve got there”. And they always ask for custom orders… I´ts not like they get a different price? Maybe they think they will… (But my prices are 5$ per 500 words, if you´ve got 600 words, its 10$).

I´ve also had a few people that say “hey I need these 1000 words translated in 24 hours, send me a custom order”. I guess they expect me to forget to add the 10$ extra for “delivery in just 1 day”?

I don´t know… It´s just a bit of extra work when you have to keep sending custom offers and discussing with people that some times don´t even end up buying anything. xD And a lot of people say “please count the words and give me a custom offer”… Can´t you do that yourself…? Especially when you´ve put it all in an excel doc…

Is this “custom offer” thing becoming the source of most of your orders too?

I do translations, and I´ve noticed I barely ever get orders through normal procedure anymore… Everyone contacts me via messages asking me to “look at their documents” and give them a custom offer. I tell them “my price is 5$ per 500 words, and yes, I do translate from that language you´ve got there”. And they always ask for custom orders… I´ts not like they get a different price? Maybe they think they will… (But my prices are 5$ per 500 words, if you´ve got 600 words, its 10$).

I´ve also had a few people that say “hey I need these 1000 words translated in 24 hours, send me a custom order”. I guess they expect me to forget to add the 10$ extra for “delivery in just 1 day”?

I don´t know… It´s just a bit of extra work when you have to keep sending custom offers and discussing with people that some times don´t even end up buying anything. xD And a lot of people say “please count the words and give me a custom offer”… Can´t you do that yourself…? Especially when you´ve put it all in an excel doc…

Is this “custom offer” thing becoming the source of most of your orders too?

It´s just a bit of extra work when you have to keep sending custom offers

Send them a custom offer and stop being so lazy! That means they will purchase your gig!

Custom orders are your best friends!

I do proofreading, rewriting and writing. I would rather have a custom offer request though messages than having a high school or college student book by proofreading and revising gig to write a 10,000-word term paper. That way I can turn them down without doing a mutual cancel.

Yeah I get when they have a 2000+ word translation, but when it’s the smaller 2-500 words one it takes a lot of time for me to keep offering custom orders XD I do appreciate all the people that wants my help, of course! 🙂

Archived