Fiverr Forum

Do not waste your time with 5$ gigs

I love that idea. You’re very organized, good for you!

I have read so many article similar to yours on this forum, in fact, new comers should be here to read many sellers experience with buyers. I think this would help many new comers including me.

This is such good advice, thank you so much!

thanks…very helpful

May be we should not continue $5 gigs for long time…

People who don’t have skill. $5 is perfect for them.

I couldn’t agree more with the title. 5$ gigs are a waste of time and people searching for that low prices are usually the most horrible ones. They don’t respect your or your time, and they take advantage of the fact that you have to work for that low in the beginning in order to get some reviews. Not ALL of them but a fairly large number. But hold on. It doesn’t take much to start raising above. I can already see as I gradually raise the prices that I have less and less those kinds of people stopping by, and experience of working here is getting nicer and nicer. Although, I did have today a buyer who asked me 100$ worth job to do for his 27$ budget. Of course, I haven’t accepted that. Value yourself and your time and don’t be afraid to raise prices. People do think that if you charge more you are worth more.

I totally agree. You have to respect your work in order for others to respect it as well and you can do that by raising your prices.
The only problem on this platform is that buyers request huge services for 5 or 10 bucks and you actually see 5-10 bids for their project in the buyers requests section. If sellers would stop bidding on those ridiculous prices, then buyers will eventually stop asking the moon and the stars for 5 bucks but as long as they get someone to do the project, they’ll never stop.
And by the way, good thing you didn’t accepted to do it for less than your offer was, I would’ve not do it either.

Thanks for providing this piece of information. What I have noticed is that clients that pay high most times don’t give problem. Even when they give, their pay worths it.

But you don’t see what people are bidding. People might be bidding at $10, $50, $100. Just because some client writes “Budget $5” doesn’t mean people will bid at $5.

Also, there are places in the world where people live on $1 to $3 a day, so making $4 from one order is a big deal.

And there are also things that are easy to do for $5.

I get everyone wants to make more money, but if you price your gigs at $50 and nobody’s ordering, then you have to lower your prices.

Plus, how many of those are template responses not at all tailored to the request?

I like your approach. Tnx for the presious time you spent for the post and I really learn from your experience.

That’s a good point. For serial bidders, tailoring each response can be extremely annoying and time consuming. Even then, one wastes a lot of time writing how many days and for how much.

Personally I never respond to a buyer request unless it’s at least a $20 job, preferably much more. I always tailor very well and you have to factor in the time for tailoring into the returns you get from the sales you make. I’m pretty good at forecasting how likely I am to get a sale, so it’s worth it to me.

I respond to all, because I see this like real estate. A house is worth whatever a buyer wants to pay for it. If buyers try to lowball us, that’s fine, we can send them the correct price, we can negotiate. It’s no big deal.

True, but what I mean is I have to weigh the amount of time I spend responding to the value of the conversions I make and the likelihood I will make them. So if I spend an hour responding to all relevant buyer requests and my conversion rate for the fees I charge is like 1 in 10, it can turn out that I’m actually losing money by spending so much time on buyer request responses that aren’t yielding a result. Even if I got one order, that could only be a $100 job, but I’ve spent an hour hustling, plus on top of that now I have to do the work.

So I don’t respond to buyer requests unless I have very, very good indication from the buyer that they are willing to convert to the rate I’m offering. Otherwise there’s not much chance I’ll break even, let alone make a worthwhile return that will justify all the time I spend responding to requests.

I do, however, make inexpensive offers for work that requires little skill or strategy, like if I just have to put someone’s image in something.

That’s a good point. When I do BR, I don’t spend more than 10 minutes. Maybe it’s easier for me because my gigs are pretty obvious.

Ironically, now that I’m a level 0, BR doesn’t show me all the offers I could see in the past. I go to a certain category, and I get no offers.

Thanks! Yeah I don’t get many request in my feed either, so that does help me limit time on pitches. Haha.

Plus, like anything in sales, you develop an intuition for what people are receptive to. I find pitching on Fiverr becomes more and more intuitive for me as time goes on. I pick up on the trends of my prospects quite easily.

you’re welcome and best of luck :slight_smile:

That’s how a free market works. You’re essentially complaining that people can get the service they want at a price significantly lower than your own. See the problem there?