Fiverr Forum

Do some Fiverr sellers take advantage of sites that make things for free and resell them?

I have seen several gigs that I have found people offering the exact same service. But these services are EXACTLY the same. Are you allowed to do this on fiverr? Or do people just do it?

I found this one person who has made 100s on here and they were all off exploiting free online programs that are royalty free, just putting that out there :stuck_out_tongue:

This is an interesting question, because one of my gigs is a research service that involves public domain content that is available for free… if you have the time and skill to find it and the legal knowledge to know what you can use and how. I don’t consider the gig to be payment for the content itself, but for my time and knowledge. I also drop a donation to the sources I use when I can afford to do so.

But just taking a free online widget and turning the results around as a gig? Even if it’s legal (I’d imagine the TOS of a lot of these things would have a restriction on selling the results?) it doesn’t feel honourable to me. Unless it’s an online widget the gig offerer themselves created - in that case, it’s just cashing in on your own work, which is different from cashing in on someone else’s.

I think it’s a grey area, it’s like they’re charging for a finder’s fee… it’s a different story if they pass it of as their own.

Well I hope I didn’t sound rude, it was only a question.

And I didn’t mean things that take skill to find @anaspiecheck

I meant something on a site that renders a free video intro for you and all you have to do is plug in letters.

Reply to @nrallstars: Yeah I’ve seen gigs like that. It’s up to the buyer to decide if it’s worth it for them. I guess in most cases the client doesn’t know the free service exists, so in a way he’s paying for the seller’s research :slight_smile:

I think it depends on the service offered. For example, SEO requires research that can be done FOR FREE using free programs. However, it takes time to perform the tasks. IT may be of value to someone to not spend the time doing the research and pay someone instead. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Reply to @refugeek: Wow, I guess I didn’t think of it that way, thanks.

Reply to @lparziale: Yeah, but I was specifically thinking of something that only took 3 seconds, I know I’ve used the program. But I guess the client is paying for the research as refugeek mentioned.

Reply to @nrallstars: Ah ok, so something that is on the web for free, takes 3 seconds and the buyer simply has no idea. I see how that could be a bit taking advantage.

madmoo - that to me is 10% worth the $5 and a great service.

Reply to @madmoo: No, that I am perfectly fine with.

Reply to @nrallstars: Anyway, I think it’s hard to build a successful gig like that, because many other sellers will copy it. I think to be truly successful, you’ll have to bring something original.

Reply to @lparziale: I need to take advantage of this service soon :slight_smile:

Reply to @refugeek: That’s what I would think, but there’s people I have seen with 100s of sales on this sort of thing.

Reply to @nrallstars: Yeah, I guess that’s possible once you get some orders and good reviews… gigs like that can get more exposure and good reviews will gain the confidence of other buyers. Talk about easy money… :o

Reply to @refugeek: Yeah I know right? Their gigs look much better than my intros, but they put no real effort into them like I do.

Reply to @nrallstars: Yeah it seems unfair, but they do have a very nice work/reward ratio…

If you can get a gig going where you only spend 10-15 minutes of your time per order, and you get enough orders, you can start making a decent living…

Reply to @refugeek: yeah, I need to get to that point now :stuck_out_tongue:

Reply to @nrallstars: Me too :slight_smile: it’s like striking gold hehe.

If either of those conditions aren’t met and you’re either working too long on each order or not getting enough orders, you’re struggling…