DO This, Not That! (Part 3 of the Seller Tip Trilogy)

authoreva

There’s no real introduction necessary here. Let’s cut straight to the heart of the matter, shall we? 😃

1. ✔️Do refer to your client by their first name. Sometimes, that will be included in their bio on their fiverr profile. Other times, you just have to ask them. It’s just like meeting someone for the first time in real life—you just skip the clammy-handed handshake. Personability and professionalism go hand-in-hand. (I’ll stop with the hand talk now… just had to get that pun out of my system). This makes you appear attentive and less “robotic.”

✖️DON’T call them by their username (unless it actually happens to be their name) or avoid addressing them by a name at all. “Hi there (or Hi username123). Thank you for the order.” is less personal (and could potentially seem like an automated message). As most of you know, there are some message templates available that you can simply click on and they’ll autofill the text box. The problem with this is it automatically fills in the text with the client’s username.

There is actual psychology behind this… It is said that one’s favorite word to hear is their first name.

2. ✔️Do make sure your standard turnaround reflects your workload. Workload can fluctuate from week to week so you should adjust your turnaround time accordingly. I remember one week, my queue was flooded with over a dozen orders (most of which were rather big projects). The 3-day turnaround I had worked for me the week before when I only had about 4-6 orders. Needless to say, I felt stressed out and rushed. It’s more of a challenge (not impossible) to create top-quality work that way. There’s no need to make things more difficult. Also, if you’re neck-deep in orders and have various personal obligations at the same time, it would be a good idea to temporarily remove the express delivery option if you have it.

✖️DON’T consider yourself the best mult-itasker on earth who can work at lightning speeds and still produce your very best work… even if there’s a prestigious award for it.

3. ✔️Do utilize The Ranting Pot here on the forums when you’re upset with something that happened with a client. Fellow sellers are always here around the clock to provide words of encouragement or simply serve as your sounding board. 🙂

✖️DON’T blow up at your buyer. Once you’ve vented and cleared your head, you can then level-headedly speak with them about the issue. You want to be calm and objective. When you’re still in “I can’t believe how ridiculous this person is being” mode, you’re bound to be more subjective and on the defense. That could potentially lead to customer complaints sent straight to customer support. No one wants that. :X

4. ✔️Do read through the Seller Tips section of this forum when you’re at a freelancing stand-still. (We all go through it at one point or another. And no—this actually isn’t a blatant attempt at advertising my seller tips posts). It’s better to continue learning and refining your craft during your down time as opposed to playing the worrying and waiting game.

✖️DON’T sit around twiddling your thumbs and dwelling on destructive thoughts like “I’m never going to get another sale ever again.” “I’m a failure!” or “Well, I better start looking for a new job and quit this one.” This doesn’t serve you in the long run. Having a little break never hurt anybody. (Not literally, of course.) Just look at it as a thank you gift. You’ve been working hard and now it’s time to sit back and reflect on what you’ve been doing up until now and make it even better.

5. ✔️Do utilize the fiverr app. I have a feeling that most of you do, but this is important. On-the-go freelancing is an incredible luxury, if you ask me. As a writer, I prefer to work from my computer in Microsoft Word, but sometimes, a computer can randomly decide to be wonky or you simply can’t get immediate access to one. That’s where the app comes in. I know this won’t work for every kind of freelancer, but I’m able to type up my client’s order in my phone’s Notes app and then copy and paste it into the delivery box. At the very least, you can still communicate with your clients and prospective buyers no matter where you are and what you’re doing.

✖️DON’T over-use the fiverr app. While you’re out with friends or family, texting would be considered rude. Being on the app checking messages and responding to them is just as rude. You should never allow your work to intrude into your social life. I get that there are exceptions, but still. You are not always obligated to answer every message you get within seconds or even an hour of receiving them!

6. ✔️Do keep a folder on your computer with your achievements here on fiverr. Whenever you’re feeling down or incompetent, look through that folder. Allow it to serve as a reminder that you’ve come a long way, and while there are downs, there will be inevitable ups. For example, my folder on my desktop contains a subfolder titled “Over 1k” and it includes screenshots of when I made over $1,000 in a single month. I have another one with first-page search result placement screenshots for specific keywords. Then there’s one that contains screen shots of when I achieved Level 1 and Level 2 (and hopefully Top Rated Seller someday XD). Doing this isn’t about building up your ego, it’s specifically for those “dark periods.” Basically, it’s a pick-me-up.

✖️DON’T forget about your successes altogether and mostly focus on your failures.

7. ✔️Do include recent samples of your work. This can be achieved through turning your portfolio on, providing some excerpts in your photo gallery, or simply stating “Samples available upon request” in your gig description. For the latter option, I suggest creating a PDF file with various excerpts that you can simply attach to the message box. I get that there’s copyright issues for some people and if it’s text, someone can just take you work and easily pass it off as their own. That’s why, for the most part, I provide brief excerpts of previous work to clients who directly ask me and seem genuinely interested in my services.

✖️DON’T keep prospective clients in the dark all the time. Put yourself in a buyer’s shoes really quick (or perhaps, like me, you’ve also played the buyer role on here): If someone is considering your services but has no proof that you actually provide the quality work you say you do, then it’s easy to be skeptical. It’s hard to tell, even with thousands of raving reviews and a killer seller profile these days. The actual work you have created is far more telling and it helps them know what to expect. This has saved me quite the hassle on numerous occasions. While I’m an experienced writer and people tend to be very happy with my work, I’m well aware that my writing style isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. You’re better off if your potential buyer realizes this BEFORE placing an order with you. Not making the sale versus a mountain of revisions and unsatisfied buyers. Your choice!

8. ✔️Do take the occasional break. “But I’m too busy for that,” you say. “But you will lose your sanity if you don’t,” I say. Replace the word “break” with “fuel.” Time away from work (even 5 minutes) recharges your batteries so when you get your head back into the game, you’re not on ‘E’ (empty) expecting to work at your full potential. Back when I didn’t follow my own advice, I’d end up making careless mistakes with client’s orders. It’s because I was so drained and didn’t allow myself to have time for play. Serious workaholic mode 24/7 is just asking for trouble.

✖️DON’T work so hard that you lose your sense of self and become friendless. Also don’t work so hard around the clock that you begin resenting your job/career.

9. ✔️Do tweet about your services in a compelling way. If you don’t have a twitter account, get one! I can’t tell you how many new clients I received from posting the occasional tweet. Make sure to use up to two pertinent hashtags, brief captivating copy, a minified link (you can use bitly) to your gig, and an eye-catching photo or GIF image.

✖️DON’T avoid posting your fiverr stuff on social media because you feel like it probably won’t work anyway or feel like you’re not social media savvy.

10. ✔️And to pay homage to the “In Doers We Trust” movement, DO be a doer. Reading and intellectualizing tips, FAQs, articles, videos, etc. is all great and dandy. But it’s not when you stay stuck at “the intellectualization phase.” Doers don’t let things simmer in their minds for too long. They DO, even if that means failing. Failure’s a scary thing, I know. But more often than not, that’s the prerequisite to monumental success. Trust me, I’ve worn the hat of momentary failure countless times, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Before you tell me I’m crazy, please allow me to explain myself: I know for a fact that I wouldn’t be where I’m at right now without all those road blocks I faced along the way and risks I took that didn’t exactly yield desirable results. These no outlet signs actually became fast lanes to success.

✔️You’re waiting for the “don’t,” aren’t you? Tip #10 has no “don’t.” 😛 Focus on doing, achieving, and learning, my friend.

For those of you who haven’t read the first two parts of the trilogy:

I may be a Level 2 seller who has been here for about two years now, but there was a lot of trial and error along the way (and I mean A LOT). Despite the fact that I have a 99% overall rating with over 1,000 completed orders, I'm nowhere near "perfect" and I continue to learn new things daily. (I'm really not trying to toot my own horn... I swear!) Below, I have included a list of tried and true do's and don'ts. I learned from my fiverr blunders, so I'd like to share my acquired wisdom. My …
If you haven’t read my first 10 tips, then go to my previous post here: http://forum.fiverr.com/discussion/do-this-not-that-10-tips-for-sellers/ After many comments and messages asking me to make another post with more tips, I decided to put together a part 2! Who knows, maybe I’ll even make a part 3 at some point... A seller tip trilogy! :smiley: Anyway, let’s get to the good part, shall we? :slight_smile: (Technically #11…) Do read EVERYTHING on Fiverr Academy, the Fiverr Blog, and the F…

BONUS! Also check out my seller tips post specifically tailored for the writers of fiverr:

Dear Writer Extraordinaires, I’m big on tried-and-true stuff. No speculation. No nonsense. Only results-driven advice. I’m sure you’re the exact same way. With that in mind, I put together this list of upselling tips and tricks (specifically for the writers of fiverr). Some of these can still be helpful for other categories, though! DISCLAIMER: Definitely DON’T use all of these in one single order. This will overwhelm your buyer (or scare them away forever) and make them have second thoughts…

*Feel free to share any other useful tips you may have on here.

• Like 56

On 2/2/2017 at 7:30 PM, authoreva said:

Do tweet about your services in a compelling way.

Hi Eva,

I noticed after I close out a gig (buyer) there is an option for me to share the work delivered - regardless of what it is - via twitter, facebook, LinkedIn, google+, etc. Up until now, I have never done so.

I have some amazing work that I have gotten done here on Fiverr, from many great sellers of all levels. I am wondering if I were to share a few of the great works to my followers, on some of those platforms, if that would help those sellers?

Do you know if any of your buyers have done this? If so, did it make a difference?

I ask because everyone tells a newbie to use social media to advertise. If you are trying to advertise your own gig - people may not be all too excited about it. If someone else were to try - maybe potential buyers will listen to a buyer?? 😃

Just seeing if there is something I can do to help!! 😇

• Like 32
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 4

On 2/2/2017 at 9:22 PM, gina_riley2 said:

Hi Eva,

I noticed after I close out a gig (buyer) there is an option for me to share the work delivered - regardless of what it is - via twitter, facebook, LinkedIn, google+, etc. Up until now, I have never done so.

I have some amazing work that I have gotten done here on Fiverr, from many great sellers of all levels. I am wondering if I were to share a few of the great works to my followers, on some of those platforms, if that would help those sellers?

Do you know if any of your buyers have done this? If so, did it make a difference?

I ask because everyone tells a newbie to use social media to advertise. If you are trying to advertise your own gig - people may not be all too excited about it. If someone else were to try - maybe potential buyers will listen to a buyer?? 😃

Haha Gina, you are the nicest buyer I know here. No, I would advise against sharing the work delivered as it can be easily used by someone else, so your money would be wasted. But you can share a few things such as pictures, animations, portraits, etc. that you’ve got made for fun. 

• Like 29
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Eva,

There is no better advertising for a seller than a recommendation from a happy customer. This is especially true in the case of Fiverr and social media. As your followers and friends are likely to be some way interested in what you do, they are likely to check out the people you have used when they need to get a similar service done. Have you ever seen a gardener or painter who gets a job in an area and they are then used by everyone in the street? It’s the same concept. As @writer99025 mentions, it is important to be careful what you share but even saying you got x,y,z done by the seller and including the link is likely to draw clicks. I’d say do it if you are happy to. It will not be bad for the seller, that’s for sure. 

• Like 27
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

Haha Gina, you are the nicest buyer I know here. No, I would advise against sharing the work delivered as it can be easily used by someone else, so your money would be wasted. But you can share a few things such as pictures, animations, portraits, etc. that you’ve got made for fun.

@writer99025: You’re either a night owl or an early bird!!

Whew, I’m getting ready for bed so I can get Friday started with lots and lots of energy.

PS: Technically, I’ve been sharing a few items already such as the eBook Cover design and a few cartoons for my book. I was thinking about giving the seller credit by linking their gig page to it.

• Like 27
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 1

There is no better advertising for a seller than a recommendation from a happy customer. This is especially true in the case of Fiverr and social media. As your followers and friends are likely to be some way interested in what you do, they are likely to check out the people you have used when they need to get a similar service done. Have you ever seen a gardener or painter who gets a job in an area and they are then used by everyone in the street? It’s the same concept. As @writer99025 mentions, it is important to be careful what you share but even saying you got x,y,z done by the seller and including the link is likely to draw clicks. I’d say do it if you are happy to. It will not be bad for the seller, that’s for sure.

Have you ever seen a gardener or painter who gets a job in an area and they are then used by everyone in the street?

Funny you said that. I actually hired a guy to do my lawn that was doing my neighbor’s lawn. 🙂

• Like 29

@writer99025: You’re either a night owl or an early bird!!

Whew, I’m getting ready for bed so I can get Friday started with lots and lots of energy.

PS: Technically, I’ve been sharing a few items already such as the eBook Cover design and a few cartoons for my book. I was thinking about giving the seller credit by linking their gig page to it.

I work from 6 am to 10 pm India time, take off a couple of hours for exercise and other stuff 🙂

• Like 27

On 2/2/2017 at 7:54 PM, blaisefaint said:

For the number 10 don’t, I’d suggest:

Don’t be a don’ter!

I love that! Thanks, Blaise. 😃

Next time someone utters the word “don’t” to me, I’ll use your line on them.

My experience is more so with sharing one’s gigs on social media. I don’t know buyers who have shared the work they had done on fiverr, but I’m sure that would be helpful in some way. 

• Like 26
  • Up 1

I have been devising a cunning Twitter/5err anywhere strategy. I haven’t tested it out just yet (I am a plotter rather than a Nike) as there are a lot of social media tips that are woeful out there on the forum.

Also, good stuff. Prepare to have it stolen by some internet marketer selling their latest course on ClickBank or whatever as FIVERR FEVER SUCCESS EXCESS or similar. (you’re welcome, thieves)

Ultimately though, the people who need to read this and take this on board won’t. Which is a pity, but then again, who wants extra competition?

Do you have one of those horrible little keyboards that you can get for cellphones? I can’t imagine writing on those at all. That’s the only tip I have an issue with. I suppose you can get full size and link it up with bluetooth, but those articles are always about hyperportability. Anyway, if you do have one of those horrible little keyboards and/or have ploughed thought a few, please do recommend one to me, as I have considered buying one just in case all of my computers die and it’s me and my phone…

• Like 27

✖️DON’T over-use the fiverr app. While you’re out with friends or family, texting would be considered rude.

How using the fiverr app would be considered as rude??

Dear Divy:

This may be a cultural thing, but in the United States if a man is on a romantic date with a woman, but interrupts their meal and ignores her so he can chat with various people around the world via the Fiverr app, he is likely to find himself singing along to Hank Williams, Sr. *, rather than enjoying her warm embrace.

Good luck,

Blaise

*“Move It On Over” is available for your edification on YouTube.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Dear Divy:

This may be a cultural thing, but in the United States if a man is on a romantic date with a woman, but interrupts their meal and ignores her so he can chat with various people around the world via the Fiverr app, he is likely to find himself singing along to Hank Williams, Sr. *, rather than enjoying her warm embrace.

Good luck,

Blaise

*“Move It On Over” is available for your edification on YouTube.

@blaisefaint okk…so this was some tip for the personal life of the seller…i think this may apply to buyer as well… …

• Like 24

On 2/3/2017 at 5:08 AM, divyagoel said:

i think this may apply to buyer as well 

It is an etiquette thing really.

In US, where everyone is always busy, we seldom have time to sit down and have a good quality time. So when we do, if we get on a distracting device such as a cell phone, it is considered being rude to the other person, because time was taken out for this meeting/dinner/hang-out time w.e.; and instead of spending that “Quality Time” together you still decide to waste it.

Now residing in Bangladesh for a couple of years, I noticed, that everyone is on their mobile phone, when outside, and no one seems to mind probably because we have greater amount of time to spend towards SOCIAL activities, so it is OK and acceptable to be distracted while you are again on a meeting/dinner/hanging-out time. Because it can be compensated.

That would be the comparison and contrast between two cultures and society.

• Like 28

On 2/2/2017 at 10:17 PM, emmaki said:

I have been devising a cunning Twitter/5err anywhere strategy. I haven’t tested it out just yet (I am a plotter rather than a Nike) as there are a lot of social media tips that are woeful out there on the forum.

Also, good stuff. Prepare to have it stolen by some internet marketer selling their latest course on ClickBank or whatever as FIVERR FEVER SUCCESS EXCESS or similar. (you’re welcome, thieves)

Ultimately though, the people who need to read this and take this on board won’t. Which is a pity, but then again, who wants extra competition?

Do you have one of those horrible little keyboards that you can get for cellphones? I can’t imagine writing on those at all. That’s the only tip I have an issue with. I suppose you can get full size and link it up with bluetooth, but those articles are always about hyperportability. Anyway, if you do have one of those horrible little keyboards and/or have ploughed thought a few, please do recommend one to me, as I have considered buying one just in case all of my computers die and it’s me and my phone…

Thanks for the comment, Emmaki. You make several solid points and your sense of humor is highly appreciated.

The thieves very well may swoop in and try to steal these quasi-original tips and tricks. I suppose there’s nothing I can do about that. But really, I don’t mind freely sharing these tidbits of advice. And who knows, maybe a few people who need to read this will AND they’ll go past “the intellectualize stage.” Have a little faith. 😛

As for the micro-keyboards… I see your point! But sometimes emergency situations come up and it’s better to have a not-so-great (or even terrible) option as opposed to no option at all. Using that notes app is my last resort for these particular instances: My computer wonks out or my internet poofs out of existence. OR I can’t get home on time to complete and deliver an order. To determine the word count, I just paste the text into an in-browser word counter. It obviously takes more time, but still.

• Like 22
  • Up 2

• 1 year later...

Taking the leap to do freelancing full time can be quite the scary move in a persons professional career. I want to start a helpful thread here to offer real and helpful guidance for anyone that’s considering the move.

What is your best advice in regards to freelancing full time? What is the biggest pro and biggest con? Any other helpful advice is always welcomed! Thanks!

• Like 24

Hi George,
This has been discussed quite a few times, but a lot of those threads got sidetracked so let’s give it one more try 🙂

Pros

• You’re the decision maker. You decide when, how and with whom you work with.
  • In most cases you can work from home. (Although this can be a con for some)
  • If you know how to balance your work/personal life then you should have more time for your family & friends. I work about 4-5 hours a day.
  • You decide your income. There’s this feast & famine myth, but if you’re smart about your business then you can build bridges over low points.

Cons

• You have to push yourself. (You might wish to find a mentor or join some kind of group)
  • You have to know how to sell your service. It can be difficult for introverts. (There are some great free and paid courses out there)
  • You can’t really afford sick & vacation days which might cause you to burn out. (Find a backup)
  • You have to wear 7 hats. I love my work, but I don’t like accounting, legal stuff etc. (Invest in assistants)
  • Like 36

Prior to starting freelancing, I lived as a dog for 6-weeks in a shelter for strays. Every day when people came to look for a new furry best friend, I’d bound at my pen gates in different ways and experiment making different barking sounds. I did whatever I could to get anyone’s attention in the hope of being adopted.

Sadly, my efforts didn’t work. No one in their right mind would ever adopt a naked adult man from an animal welfare charity. The thing is, I knew that going in. What I wanted to test, was whether I was prepared for the rejection, the starvation, and the mad howl of hundred of other people all around me all wanting the same thing.

In my case, I was wanted by the FBI so I didn’t really have a choice. You do. That said, if you do continue down your new career path, I can give you some practical advice:

• Prior to commencing freelancing, make someone you trust promise to intervene if you ever get too addicted to Netflix
  • Prepare to be treated sub-humanly from time to time
  • Ready yourself for the fact that you will suffer recurring dashed hopes and disappointment
  • Never tell people you work from home on your computer. They will only start coming to you in droves whenever their phones or computers freeze
  • Don’t be Mr. Nice Guy. When someone asks you for samples, says they have had bad experiences in the past, or says, “I’ve got regular work for you,” run
  • Don’t price yourself at $5. You’ll just end up feeling as emotionally dead inside as a Walking Dead extra
  • Prepare to wait months for things to get started, then prepare to to start losing your hair as things slow down for months
  • Stop eating bread and pasta immediately
  • When you lose track of the days, get ready for the day you will lose track of years

Other than that, enjoy! 🙂

• Like 36

Don’t start trying to do this full time without doing it part time first to see if you can survive with what you earn here.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:14 AM, cyaxrex said:

No one in their right mind would ever adopt a naked adult man from an animal welfare charity.

I’m sure you would find an owner eventually.

You forgot something:

• prepare to feel like a pinata at a children’s birthday party.
  • Like 29

Hi George,

This has been discussed quite a few times, but a lot of those threads got sidetracked so let’s give it one more try 🙂

Pros

• You’re the decision maker. You decide when, how and with whom you work with.
  • In most cases you can work from home. (Although this can be a con for some)
  • If you know how to balance your work/personal life then you should have more time for your family & friends. I work about 4-5 hours a day.
  • You decide your income. There’s this feast & famine myth, but if you’re smart about your business then you can build bridges over low points.

Cons

• You have to push yourself. (You might wish to find a mentor or join some kind of group)
  • You have to know how to sell your service. It can be difficult for introverts. (There are some great free and paid courses out there)
  • You can’t really afford sick & vacation days which might cause you to burn out. (Find a backup)
  • You have to wear 7 hats. I love my work, but I don’t like accounting, legal stuff etc. (Invest in assistants)

I think @cyaxrex had the most truthful and helpful advice for you. However, I am having some difficulty getting the images 🐕

@uxreview gave you a hint about why you may not receive as many answers as you hoped for

to your inquiry. But he did take time to give you a good answer. If you did the search 🔍 pops up.

some new and updated advice

But @misscrystal really hit the 🔨 nail on the head with this!

Don’t start trying to do this full time without doing it part time first to see if you can survive with what you earn here.

• Like 24

On 11/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, vickiespencer said:

I think @cyaxrex had the most truthful and helpful advice for you. However, I am having some difficulty getting the images 🐕

The cheek! Consider yourself banished from all of my wicked headmistress fantasies. You want detention? Two can play at that game! 🙂

• Like 23
  • Up 1

Self doubt is something to contend with… I’ve been self employed before so I’m no stranger to doing the only thing I knew. But now I’m doing what I always wanted to do and the self doubt is something to overcome. A smart self aware person needs to measure if they are not being delusional in their confidence to become a freelancer. Are you in phycosis because you simply hated your 9-5?. Are you good at what you do and are exceptional at what you do?
I’m new to freelancing however not new to seeking a better life. Im a citizen of two great countries and have a patent under my belt. Go for it ! And don’t let people put you down.

Win or fail at least you gave it try.

• Like 23

Taking the leap to do freelancing full time can be quite the scary move in a persons professional career. I want to start a helpful thread here to offer real and helpful guidance for anyone that’s considering the move.

What is your best advice in regards to freelancing full time? What is the biggest pro and biggest con? Any other helpful advice is always welcomed! Thanks!

quite the scary move in a persons professional career

Not really. I started working as a full time freelancer right after my graduation and it’s really a great move! Quite Satisfied and much better than 9-5 job holders.

• Like 23