Fiverr Forum

Do you defend your work?

I struggled with an order and the client asked me to defend my work. I didn’t do that because I didn’t like the work I had to do, so I told the client if he was unhappy, he could request a refund.

He accused me of being unprofessional and told me that a professional always defends his work.

Do you do that?

I believe that the work is the work, it speaks for itself. Don’t like it? Too bad. It shouldn’t be my job to get you to like it.

I don’t think about it as defending my work; sometimes, when I feel that it might be useful, I explain why I did something in a certain way. Buyers who come to us usually don’t know much about what we do and how it works, and an explanation that (hopefully) makes sense to them might put their mind at ease.

Then again, there are some who are not only clueless (‘that script is terrible, it’s impossible to make a 30 second video from a script of 75 words!!!’), but aggressive, as well, and no, I’m not going to explain anything to them, I’ll do whatever I can to get rid of them as fast as possible.

I’ve had people ask this previously and it really annoys the hell out of me. If someone tells me that my SEO article isn’t pulling traffic to their website and they want more keywords cramming in, I just point out that their site is garbage and keyword cramming is the last thing they should be doing.

The problem as I see it is that if someone wants me to defend my work, they are basically asking me to write an essay about everything I have done and why.

In fact, I have a problem with over delivering which I really need to get on top of. Someone (clearly Asian with broken English) paid $20 the other day for a keyword optimized about page and a from template 30-second video designed as a brief explainer. (Yes, this gig needs to go).

I delivered an awesome sales page and a 1-minute fully custom video. The client, however, is upset because I haven’t included all the information from the 2,000-word essay which they wrote about themselves. The thing is, I didn’t include much of this on purpose as the client has a health food start up which they have started after suffering years of diarrhea due to IBS.

Now sorry, do you really want one of the most visited pages on your new health food website to rank in Google for the word diarrhea?

I don’t do refunds I and although I will (if the client insists) include more references to diarrhea and IBS, I am most certainly not going to write the client a summary of why this is a bad idea and answer lots of subsequent questions.

In short, problems like this usually arise because buyers (usually middlemen/pretend SEO companies) don’t have the faintest idea how to assess the quality of what they have received, or even what they are actually doing,

No i don’t, You could be professional but we have to make things what customer like not us, it is all about the buyers because they have to choose what they like we just have to give them some options and Request Modification tab proves that, we are not allowed to defend our work, they want a change we have to change it, its simple your Favorite color is “RED” buyer Favorite color is “BLACK” which color you will be going to use in the design, you have the answer and that explain it all…
Thanks and Good post, Good Luck :slight_smile:

I think I talked to you about this before in terms of adding to or showing the value of your gig but I’ll mention it again here.
Instead of getting into a situation where you are having to or being asked to defend your gig, take control by preempting this with an explanation of why you do certain things. Particularly with a new client, I will include a couple of notes (depending on the gig) to explain - for example, with a written marketing piece, I will put comments in the document showing specific key sections which either fulfill what they asked for or match up to good marketing approaches.
So if I wrote you an ad and you asked me to include a call to action and an upsell, I would have a comment which stated “This is the call to action”, “this is the upsell” and then perhaps point out something else too.

What this does is tells the client you understood what they wanted and delivered it as well as the fact that you did actually put thought into what you did.
You would be surprised how quickly you can do this and I rarely if ever get people asking me to defend or explain what I wrote. Writing 2-3 comments on something I have just written is quicker than dealing with 2-3 messages asking me explain something. When you have had a couple of repeat sales, you can ease off on the comments as they know you and know your quality but in the beginning, many buyers are assessing you as well as your work.

Thanks for your advice. Sometimes I do explain why I did what I did, sometimes it’s impossible. That’s what usually happens with made up words, sometimes they’re based on the suffix and prefix and existing words, sometimes they’re not.

I wouldn’t even think about what he said. He sounds overbearing and bullying.

I agree. The main thing is that you did what your gig showed you would do.

Defending your work is not part of your gig description. I get asked for all kinds of things that are not part of the gig description and have no problem telling them it is not part of what I offer in the gig.

I’ve had to defend my work a couple of time, and this is really something i don’t like. Unfortunately it is one of the things we get when we work on sites like Fiverr. In some cases, when buyers bring up untrue stories just to dent your image and claim a refund, you’ve got to prove your work. I’ve had this experience just yesterday, and after inviting Fiverr support to review the issue, they discovered that i have fulfilled the order and i should let the buyer know.
Trust me, this won’t happen to you if you work with direct clients. Most of the issues come from middlemen who are here to steal from hard working. professional freelancers.

I had a situation with a buyer recently that, if he had told me something initially. I wouldn’t have taken on his project. It was only after I had delivered it that he made me aware of that one issue and something else he was looking for from the article.

However, I was polite in my message - thinking about it long and hard before I wrote back. I told him in fairly good detail why my way of writing was better than the original article (which he didn’t tell me he wanted until afterward). And, I explained in greater detail that what he is looking for is something I do not provide.

Oddly enough, he was polite about it and told me he’d take my assessments into consideration for the next project. I got a 5.0 out of it… Nice…

I wouldn’t say I’m defending my work, I’m just explaining why I made the choices I did. As @catwriter said, most clients haven’t done their homework so you need to educate them a bit.

I suppose it depends on a service you offer. As a buyer I wouldn’t expect a seller to explain their $10 article or a $20 logo, but if I’m ordering a complete branding package worth of $300 then I’d like to have a quick chat about it.

Most of my returning clients are coming back because I took the time to explain my work and they saw that I actually know what I’m doing. It probably doesn’t make sense for a low cost service to spend extra hours on defending your work, but personally I see it more as an opportunity and I charge my clients for that.

Thanks. Another thing that drives me crazy is messages asking to describe my process.

I even had a guy offer to pay me to have a 30 minute Skype conversation to talk about how I do the job. I was polite with him, told him I just didn’t have the time.

I get messages all the time that ask “how does this work” and I tell them its part of what they get when they order. They never order, they are just hoping for free information.

Tell them there is no process. It’s just your natural ability. To ask you to “describe your process” is another way of asking you to do free work. Answering that sounds like an essay question.

Sounds like a buyer where I would switch into Joe-Pesci-mode.
If he doesn’t like it, he can have is bLEEping money back and go blEEping look for somebody else, or just could go blEEp himself.

You know, I think that same guy messaged me as well. I politely told him no as well.

I used to do that, but it got me in trouble with CS. Even WRITING IN CAPS can get you in trouble, they see it as shouting.

@fastcopywriter You said that, what Mario said, to customer service? :grimacing:

Not to CS, to my clients. I used to be very rude with clients whenever they were difficult. For a while I was binge watching The Sopranos and started to talk like them, not good.

Besides, Fiverr has changed a lot, it’s no longer the wild west it used to be, it has become more corporate, more professional, more uptight, so I’ve been forced to “evolve.”

I can’t complain too much, evolving has lowered my cancellation rate and has benefited me in other ways.

Still, some of these changes are stressful. The “auto” review system which shows a negative review from 6 weeks ago instead of the positive review from yesterday is one example, that I don’t understand.