Do you occasionally or regularly miss your pre-internet life?

rankinfinite

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest offlinehelpers

I’m old enough to have spent most of my life without the internet because it hadn’t been invented, but I’m not sure I understand your question to be honest,

Life is life - the internet is merely part of it, like space travel and mobile phones.

No…

Btw, someone is on threads creating spree today.

So whats the target, threads created/day?

What do you mean by target here? I felt like the forum needs more general discussion; it is Sunday; I am feeling bored; have lot of work to do; but can’t take boredom anymore; wanted to know about the fellow Fiverrers opinion on these 2 subjects, so posted these 2 threads.

2 threads = Spree? Great logic here.

I miss friends who since Facebook popped up in 2006 have slowly been consumed by baseless superficiality and become impossible to talk to in real life to the extent I rarely feel inclined to subject myself to their presence.

I do have a nice pocket of friends who are like me and prefer to meet up and do things and chat and help each other out like real friends should. It just feels weird sometimes how all the immediately important people in my life are relatively recent people who I kind of don’t acknowledge as important as I should because it feels like such importance is reserved for longer life friends whom I am waiting to rehabilitate themselves into the real world one day.

Work wise, I miss a steady salary but every time I attempt to reinject myself into the real world, things just get messy.

I’m old enough to have spent most of my life without the internet because it hadn’t been invented, but I’m not sure I understand your question to be honest,

Life is life - the internet is merely part of it, like space travel and mobile phones.

Indeed, I love how we are all able to engage in space travel with full cell phone coverage these days. Who’d have thought that The Jetsons would get everything so right? 🙂

Indeed, I love how we are all able to engage in space travel with full cell phone coverage these days. Who’d have thought that The Jetsons would get everything so right? 🙂

Let’s hope robot maids look better in real life…for reasons.

I miss friends who since Facebook popped up in 2006 have slowly been consumed by baseless superficiality and become impossible to talk to in real life to the extent I rarely feel inclined to subject myself to their presence.

I do have a nice pocket of friends who are like me and prefer to meet up and do things and chat and help each other out like real friends should. It just feels weird sometimes how all the immediately important people in my life are relatively recent people who I kind of don’t acknowledge as important as I should because it feels like such importance is reserved for longer life friends whom I am waiting to rehabilitate themselves into the real world one day.

Work wise, I miss a steady salary but every time I attempt to reinject myself into the real world, things just get messy.

I was wrong to think Malta is exempt from the social media madness. Your country (my personal opinion, never heard anyone saying the same) is the most beautiful and exotic piece of land on earth. I have seen people on the internet calling it Baghdad surrounded by sea, or nothing but a big rock, but I love watching Maltese and Gozo road tours, and always wish I was born there. Happiness is in the air of your country.

I was wrong to think Malta is exempt from the social media madness. Your country (my personal opinion, never heard anyone saying the same) is the most beautiful and exotic piece of land on earth. I have seen people on the internet calling it Baghdad surrounded by sea, or nothing but a big rock, but I love watching Maltese and Gozo road tours, and always wish I was born there. Happiness is in the air of your country.

Happiness is in the air of your country.

Actually, it’s hunting season at the moment and the air is thick with the sounds of gunshots as the locals attempt to massacre anything with feathers. It’ll be nice again in about month when any and all birdlife has been duly annihilated and the coast will have chance to descend into peaceful, albeit eerie silence for another six months.

Happiness is in the air of your country.

Actually, it’s hunting season at the moment and the air is thick with the sounds of gunshots as the locals attempt to massacre anything with feathers. It’ll be nice again in about month when any and all birdlife has been duly annihilated and the coast will have chance to descend into peaceful, albeit eerie silence for another six months.

Have your earbuds on mate?

I miss the days where not everyone was on social media and to hang out you actually had to phone someone. I mean, I’m guilty of the whole “why the eff are calling me?? Text me bud!” but there was something nice and simple before smartphones and internet in every home.

I too am like offline helpers and am old enough (in my 30s) to remember the days when we had walkmans (walkmen?) walkie talkies, and actually went outside to play. I remember when the N64 came out the graphics blew everyone away and now they’re subpar haha! I also remember how discmen (discmans?) used to be like $200 for a good one so you stuck with your crummy walkman till discman went down in price. Or getting blank tapes from the shop to record your favourite songs off the radio cuz there sure wasn’t any Napster, Limewire or Frostwire or Pirate Bay or whatever haha.

Ah, the good old days lol.

But, without the internet I never would have met my husband… so, well, viva internet! 😛

Guest offlinehelpers

So were mobile phones like 10 years ago…give it time…we’ll get there.

we’ll get there.

You may, I shan’t! 🙂

I miss the days where not everyone was on social media and to hang out you actually had to phone someone. I mean, I’m guilty of the whole “why the eff are calling me?? Text me bud!” but there was something nice and simple before smartphones and internet in every home.

I too am like offline helpers and am old enough (in my 30s) to remember the days when we had walkmans (walkmen?) walkie talkies, and actually went outside to play. I remember when the N64 came out the graphics blew everyone away and now they’re subpar haha! I also remember how discmen (discmans?) used to be like $200 for a good one so you stuck with your crummy walkman till discman went down in price. Or getting blank tapes from the shop to record your favourite songs off the radio cuz there sure wasn’t any Napster, Limewire or Frostwire or Pirate Bay or whatever haha.

Ah, the good old days lol.

But, without the internet I never would have met my husband… so, well, viva internet! 😛

too am like offline helpers and am old enough (in my 30s) to remember the days when we had walkmans (walkmen?) walkie talkies, and actually went outside to play. I remember when the N64 came out the graphics blew everyone away

And who would have thought that if we saved these and our Star Wars figurines, we’d all be millionaires by 2017? Goddam parents and their need to make space under the bed for new Christmas presents.

too am like offline helpers and am old enough (in my 30s) to remember the days when we had walkmans (walkmen?) walkie talkies, and actually went outside to play. I remember when the N64 came out the graphics blew everyone away

And who would have thought that if we saved these and our Star Wars figurines, we’d all be millionaires by 2017? Goddam parents and their need to make space under the bed for new Christmas presents.

Don’t forget original releases of Disney VHS tapes!!

Guest offlinehelpers

I’ve been using computers since I was like 4 so I don’t know what it’s like without it lol

Now that makes me feel very old! 😉

I’m old enough to remember rotary phones. To answer your question, no, I don’t miss it.

The Internet liberated us from boring dinners, tedious queues, boring road trips, buying dirty magazines at the store, annoying shopping trips when it’s raining or we’re not in the mood, the horrors of going to a bar and hitting on strangers, etc.

Our pre-internet life meant remember phone numbers or writing them down an agenda, using the maps on white pages to find an address, typing on a typewriter or computer, paying for vide games (OK, I still do that because a PS4 is awesome), putting up with TV commercials (unless you had premium channels), spending thousands of dollars printing and sending your portfolios all over the country (that only applies to art directors, copywriters, photographers, etc), faxing resumes, etc.

We were used to it, but that doesn’t mean we liked it.

I’m old enough to remember rotary phones. To answer your question, no, I don’t miss it.

The Internet liberated us from boring dinners, tedious queues, boring road trips, buying dirty magazines at the store, annoying shopping trips when it’s raining or we’re not in the mood, the horrors of going to a bar and hitting on strangers, etc.

Our pre-internet life meant remember phone numbers or writing them down an agenda, using the maps on white pages to find an address, typing on a typewriter or computer, paying for vide games (OK, I still do that because a PS4 is awesome), putting up with TV commercials (unless you had premium channels), spending thousands of dollars printing and sending your portfolios all over the country (that only applies to art directors, copywriters, photographers, etc), faxing resumes, etc.

We were used to it, but that doesn’t mean we liked it.

boring dinners, tedious queues, boring road trips, buying dirty magazines at the store, annoying shopping trips when it’s raining or we’re not in the mood, the horrors of going to a bar and hitting on strangers, etc.

The only bit I agree with here is the queues bit. I would be nothing without my weekly horror of going to a bar and hitting on strangers. I’ve used an app once to potentially hook up with someone and they just annoyed me. I too remember rotary phones and using a typewriter would be awkward.

I do prefer the old ways of human interaction though.

Archived