Fiverr Community Forum

Do You Work With Buyers Who Don't Read Your Gig Page?

Just a little rant. This happened a couple weeks ago, but I keep thinking about it, and I thought I’d ask if others have done the same.

I provide copyediting and proofreading services. For my proofreading service, in the gig description, I don’t ask that anyone contacts me beforehand. Anyone can just order from that gig because it’ll likely be around 3k words and that’s nothing.

But for my copyediting gig, it is specifically for fiction novels. I usually get orders that are at least 70k words, and I like to be able to put as much focus on one, max two, at a time because of the varying levels of editing needs for the manuscript. In my gig description, it’s impossible to miss the part where I say the buyer needs to contact me and I need to see the manuscript (or at least some of it) to determine how heavy the copyedit will be. It’s highlighted and in bold.

One morning, I woke up to see that an order had been started on my fiction novel gig. I was already in the middle of editing a 160k-word novel and just starting another smaller one, so seeing that someone had not only gone through my gig and submitted their requirements but had also not even sent me a measly message—man, I was pissed. I had to cancel the order, citing the fact that I had requirements the buyer looked over or ignored. So, of course, it hurt my cancellation rate. I didn’t even bother trying to set up something to work with the buyer after that either, because I don’t want to work with someone who can’t even have enough respect to listen.

I just think it’s incredibly frustrating when buyers can’t even be bothered to read the gig page. I’ve now edited my Requirements section to include a message that states that we’ve already discussed the terms, and if they haven’t, they must cancel the order.

I just ask that buyers actually read the gig page. It’s not there as a backdrop. And it’s especially disappointing when it’s a fellow writer doing it. They should be most in-tune to details when it comes to reading.

What do you guys think? Have you had an experience like this before? Do you have similar messages in your gig description that the buyer needs to contact you first?

8 Likes

I am sorry to hear about your experience, and I agree that it sucks when buyers don’t bother to read the gig page. I don’t get why a buyer wouldn’t take the time to read it. It is like signing a contract without reading it first, but I guess people do that too.

I often have people order directly without contacting me. For my translation gig, I don’t require that buyers contact me first, so I am okay with that. I have had a few people who sent more words than was included in their package, though. I don’t know if it is ignorance or if they are just trying to scam me. If I had to guess, I think it is more likely to be the latter.

But, of course, some gigs do require contact beforehand, so it is perfectly fine to specify it in your gig description.

However, I will suggest that you use the Limit Orders in Queue feature. It might be useful for you. You can see a description of it here: https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/limiting-orders-in-queue

5 Likes

I have found that the “Limit Orders in Queue” only takes your gig out of the search. Buyers can still order.

6 Likes

Buyers tend not to read the gig page. All of them.

I’ve put my prices up high enough so mostly they don’t order without contacting me first.

And I’m slowing adding a “you understand [whatever]” check box to each gig with a Yes box and a No box. Mandatory. The No box says something about contacting me before going any further … and the yes box is quite specific about either wanting or not wanting the [whatever] part.

So far it appears to be working …

3 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m doing! I think I got the idea from someone here on the forums because they were getting problem buyers. It helps with CS disputes, I’m sure, even if a little bit. So far, I haven’t had another buyer try to order without messaging me first, but, of course, we’ll see.

1 Like

I also employed that function, too! I have a lot of returning buyers, though, so I do hope they’re able to see my gig still, because sometimes I like to take on an extra one if I know it won’t take as much work.

1 Like

Lol! Me, too - it was @melissaharlowvo !

I think that was her! We might’ve gotten that advice from the same thread. I’m so glad I discovered the forums. Despite it being a use time-wasting tool (I’m a terrible procrastinator at times), it has a lot of useful info that you might not even find in the “tips” section.

4 Likes

Yeah I did something similar (required answer) and found it didn’t deter anyone. Raising my rate helped a lot.

4 Likes

I’ve been slowly doing that. What I don’t want to do is deter returning buyers. Everyone I know harps on me about my rates being bottom of the barrel, but since Fiverr isn’t my main income, it feels weird to crank it up even higher. I suppose it’s a matter of knowing your worth in the professional field, though.

I can just say that the requirement I added that @coerdelion so thoughtfully continues to give me credit for, has helped repel the buyer will take advantage of my good nature!

3 Likes

All the time my friend :sweat: so annoying! I literally get messages on my voice over gigs asking… if I do voice overs???

5 Likes

I just added a checkbox that says the buyer understands that I do not offer a complete rewrite service. I will see if that helps.

5 Likes

I suspect I do, ahah. I actually have a gig that has " *read About this Gig for details" in all 3 package descriptions/as package names (despite the expensive character limit real estate in those), as I guess that’s what even the buyers who won’t scroll down to the big gig description usually read.

If you think your rates are on the low end anyway, another method might be setting higher prices and smaller word counts for the direct order gigs and writing something like "contact me for a custom offer for xxxx+ words (choose a word count that typically wouldn’t pose too much trouble if someone orders without contacting you) at a rate of (somewhat cheaper than the direct order gig price as incentive to contact you) under certain conditions (file type, need to see file, whatever fits).

5 Likes

Yes in 95% of the cases. If I manage to “catch” the buyer within 1-5 hours after the order was placed, there is a good chance that they’ll apologize and submit all the requirements.

If it doesn’t happen, I cancel via CS and it doesn’t affect my stats.

Some people are under impression that they as buyers define what you need to know to do the job and what you don’t. While it’s a process with two parties involved. It’s my time and my resources as well and I’d love not to waste them on trying to “guess” someone’s vision with zero input data.

I also noticed that these orders without a prior contact happen in waves (I can have zero of those for a week, then 2 or 3 in a single day). I wonder why is that.

6 Likes

I’m so glad I stumbled upon this comment. Adding this right away.

1 Like

I have people placing orders for me to write, without messaging me. And what’s worse? they skip requirements and provide nothing zilch. So yeah, people are just weird and sadly our order completion rates are at stake because of this.

Anyways, the Yes/No mandatory question idea that someone suggested here is pure genius and a bright light at the end of this tunnel.

1 Like

I have a lot of info for potential buyers - in the real world I have a massive website.

Interestingly while it used to bring me credibility with at least one page/article read & commented on in the initial discussion. These days I am more likely to get insults of the TL:DR variety. Like how dare I have so much content. That is like being a band looking to make a great record and then spitting on Sir Gorge Martin (of Beatles fame) seeing he has done too much stuff to be worthy of hiring. Mental!

People are irrational.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be so frustrating! I’m a writer, but I refuse to make it a service I provide to others because I know I’ll enjoy it less. I can’t imagine dealing with that specific frustration, but hey. If someone doesn’t give details, give them a Godzilla fanfic. I’m sure that’ll teach 'em.

1 Like

Yeah, irrational is definitely the word I’d use. As someone who has bought from sellers on this site as well (often for promoting my freelance services), I would do as much research as humanly possible before sending an order. Reading isn’t that hard, guys.

1 Like