Does disregard for the order requirements count as a revision?

I placed an order with a seller that doesn’t come with any revisions. The seller delivered the work, but they didn’t follow all of the instructions I gave (multiple times) in the order requirements. Does asking them to fix it count as a revision, and if so, is it one I should have to pay for?

I, personally, don’t think so, but I’m looking to hear other opinions on it before I do anything.

As long as the requirements were within the gig description then it shouldn’t count as a revision. It sounds like they didn’t pay attention to your requirements.

If your requirements were outside of their gig description then they were within their rights not to do them. Was what they gave you more pink or more orange for example.

It also depends on how detailed your original requirements were. There are nuances to your question. For example if you said you wanted a pink sky and theirs was more of an orange then it can be debated whether or not it’s a revision.

As long as the requirements were within the gig description then it shouldn’t count as a revision. It sounds like they didn’t pay attention to your requirements.

If your requirements were outside of their gig description then they were within their rights not to do them. Was what they gave you more pink or more orange for example.

It also depends on how detailed your original requirements were. There are nuances to your question. For example if you said you wanted a pink sky and theirs was more of an orange then it can be debated whether or not it’s a revision.

It also depends on how detailed your original requirements were.

It’s concerning a story. In the outline and multiple times in the requirements, I requested that it be in 3rd person and present tense, so I think I was pretty clear about the desire. The final product was first person and past tense. I know it would be a pain to go through and change it all (4,000 words of story), but I don’t think I should have to do it since it wasn’t my mistake. And I absolutely abhor the 1st person and the past tense.

It also depends on how detailed your original requirements were.

It’s concerning a story. In the outline and multiple times in the requirements, I requested that it be in 3rd person and present tense, so I think I was pretty clear about the desire. The final product was first person and past tense. I know it would be a pain to go through and change it all (4,000 words of story), but I don’t think I should have to do it since it wasn’t my mistake. And I absolutely abhor the 1st person and the past tense.

I see. I’m actually trying to imagine a third person present tense story.

“Dave is in his bedroom watching tv. He gets up to get a drink and settles back in when Sally knocks on his front door. He gets up to answer and sees she is dressed for an evening out at a club.”

It would read like a script.

That’s not what you asked so sorry to get sidetracked.

“Dave is in his bedroom watching tv. He gets up to get a drink and settles back in when Sally knocks on his front door. He gets up to answer and sees she is dressed for an evening out at a club.”

The style in which I write and sometimes ask people to write is an unconventional one, but reading like a script is how I like my stories to play out, honestly. There’s a mechanical quality to it that can function as symbolism. I’ve never had a client ask for it, but it’s my default when no preference is expressed, and it’s never gotten me a 1 star.

The style in which I write and sometimes ask people to write is an unconventional one, but reading like a script is how I like my stories to play out, honestly. There’s a mechanical quality to it that can function as symbolism. I’ve never had a client ask for it, but it’s my default when no preference is expressed, and it’s never gotten me a 1 star.

To be honest, it’s so unconventional I think it’s not something reasonable to request. Just my own opinion. If you want it written that way it’s better to first ask if the writer is ok with it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a story written that way.

To be honest, it’s so unconventional I think it’s not something reasonable to request. Just my own opinion. If you want it written that way it’s better to first ask if the writer is ok with it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a story written that way.

I know it’s an odd request. That’s why I contacted the seller before ordering with the outline (and POV and tense request) attached. She had said that she could handle the request.

I know it’s an odd request. That’s why I contacted the seller before ordering with the outline (and POV and tense request) attached. She had said that she could handle the request.

In that case then she clearly wasn’t able to do what she said she could do. I couldn’t do it.

Don’t keep us in anticipation! What’s next!!

@graphtersawyer If you expressly asked for that and it was clear in the requirements (very clear) then you are entitled to the edit, without charge in my opinion. It’s quite unconventional as mentioned but if the seller agreed to it that’s what they should have done. CS would side with you if a dispute was opened, not that I recommend that as it seems the seller put the work in.

In that case then she clearly wasn’t able to do what she said she could do. I couldn’t do it.

It’s not necessarily hard to do it if one doesn’t do it naturally in my opinion. It just takes an intentionality, the same intentionality I apply when requested to do whatever isn’t my natural tendency. She seems competent enough from her samples, reviews, and communication to do it, though.

Don’t keep us in anticipation! What’s next!!

@graphtersawyer If you expressly asked for that and it was clear in the requirements (very clear) then you are entitled to the edit, without charge in my opinion. It’s quite unconventional as mentioned but if the seller agreed to it that’s what they should have done. CS would side with you if a dispute was opened, not that I recommend that as it seems the seller put the work in.

CS would side with you if a dispute was opened, not that I recommend that as it seems the seller put the work in.

I’m not at all considering a dispute, but I’m not sure of how to request the story be changed since the order technically doesn’t include any revisions. I know the revision button works even if no revisions are available or left, but I’m not sure if pressing it is the correct recourse in this situation, as I feel that would imply that I consider it a revision and, therefore, should pay for the error since I didn’t purchase any with the original order.

It’s not necessarily hard to do it if one doesn’t do it naturally in my opinion. It just takes an intentionality, the same intentionality I apply when requested to do whatever isn’t my natural tendency. She seems competent enough from her samples, reviews, and communication to do it, though.

So the entire story would be written that way and it was not? Then you’re correct that it wasn’t done as you asked. She should fix it and it shouldn’t be a revision.

CS would side with you if a dispute was opened, not that I recommend that as it seems the seller put the work in.

I’m not at all considering a dispute, but I’m not sure of how to request the story be changed since the order technically doesn’t include any revisions. I know the revision button works even if no revisions are available or left, but I’m not sure if pressing it is the correct recourse in this situation, as I feel that would imply that I consider it a revision and, therefore, should pay for the error since I didn’t purchase any with the original order.

I know the revision button works even if no revisions are available

Request a revision and tell them they’ve missed something.

Would you suggest I request it with the revision button or just message the seller?

I would message the seller and explain the problem. Actually it depends on if she offers revisions or not. If she does then use the revision button.

Since you said it doesn’t come with revisions message her and see what she says. If she can’t or won’t fix it then open a dispute.

Archived